Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 8:29:26 AM EDT
Getting into the WWII guns and I am planning on picking up an 8mm at the fun show Saturday.  I even already have 250 rounds of ammo, when I don't have even have the gun yet. But I really do not know much about these rifles except that I want one.

So I am looking to spend about $150-$200, not more than $250.

Its purposes are for me to have fun shooting at the range side by side with my Garand, and say I have the rifle(or close), that was the enemy of the Garand.

Last fun show I saw nice cleaned up Yugos in the $120-$200 range, German guns in the $160-$250 range.

What would you all recomend for my purposes?  Things to watch for, and prices I should aim for?
Pictures of yours and your recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks

***UPDATE***  I got it.
Yugo.  Beautiful action.  Bright and shiney.  I am in the process of cleaning out the cosmo.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Do a search. The topic comes up a lot in the Curio and Relics forum.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
sell the ammo and buy an enfield instead.  they are much more fun.  then again it ain't the garand's enemy.  whichever you get just make sure the bore is nice and bright.  as far as german vs yugo i have no idea.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
sell the ammo and buy an enfield instead.  they are much more fun.  then again it ain't the garand's enemy.  whichever you get just make sure the bore is nice and bright.  as far as german vs yugo i have no idea.

I already own a Number 4 MkI*.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out this site.  It's mainly late war Mausers, but it has a section on detecting a fake collector rifle.  I thought it was interesting.

latewar.com/
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
you canget a RC 98  for under 300 $ all day long.....   the other  variants  100-200$ all day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Just look at it-

Thers nothing to tell, they're beutiful, well made, old world craftsmanship. C'mon ya gotta love it
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
A good mauser is a pleasure, though I prefer the Enfields.  

One good thing though, surplus 8mm is cheap right now.  I'd get a nice Yugo and then put serious effort into buying up as much of the ammo as I could.  It won't be around forever.

.303 surplus looks dire.  Definitely no bargains.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Picked up an Excellent condition Yugo for $120 from CDNN.

8mm good. Metal buttplates bad (I'm a wuss).
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I already own a Number 4 MkI*.

have you ever tried firing it real fast by working the bolt with your thumb and forefinger and firing with the middle or ring finger?  accuracy takes a dive but you can really crank out those 10 rounds.  i learned about that technique from an article about british troops in early ww1 battles.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#10]
The M48 Yugo Mausers were made after WWII. The Communist (but non-Soviet) government wanted to be able to arm every adult in the event they were invaded again.

I bought one dirt cheap a few years back. The local gun shop still has them for under $200 so I would assume you can get them at that price anywhere. Mine has a clean bore and is in really good shape for a military rifle.

If you just want a rifle to shoot that’s probably the best way to go.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The Mauser was the only gun I have sold that I never regretted.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Handed in your man card huh?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had no real use for it. It couldn't do anything that my 700PSS or FAL couldn't do better and it was a pain in the ass to have to scrub it out after firing a couple rounds of corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a nice rifle mjohn!  The wood might like to be left out on the porch for a few real hot summer days.. It'll sweat a lot of the crud out.  Mop it off every few hours in the sun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I set my buddy up with a FFL who ordered him a K98 from SOG. They hand picked it for an extra $10. The lands and groves were perfect as was the wood. It also still retained the Waffen markings on it & all #s matched. Total with shipping was $260.

David

By the way... to get out the cosmo.. I had my buddy 'steam' the wood and the cosmo poored out of the pores of the wood like hot butter. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Well the cosmo is about 90% out of the Metal parts.  I finnaly figured out how to take apart the bolt(looking up instructions is for pansies ), the inside had so much cosmo in it that when you pulled the trigger the firing pin would slowly move forward to rest.  Now it fly forward with a plesant smack.

I think I will head off the range and get some cosmo out of the wood the same way I did with my SKS.  Shoot it and whipe.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well the cosmo is about 90% out of the Metal parts.  I finnaly figured out how to take apart the bolt(looking up instructions is for pansies ), the inside had so much cosmo in it that when you pulled the trigger the firing pin would slowly move forward to rest.  Now it fly forward with a plesant smack.

I think I will head off the range and get some cosmo out of the wood the same way I did with my SKS.  Shoot it and whipe.

Well darn.  I thought I had got most of the cosmo out...but at the range I was getting light primer strikes and had to double strike the first several rounds.  But after it was warmed up it was doing fine.  Got her home and took the bolt apart again and everything is recoated in cosmo.  The stuff replicates its self, I swear.

I really like it.  A fine shooter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Just incase you change your mind on the manual... here's a link to my site for the manual. There are others there too, but this page is still under construction.

www.thumpershole.com/gun_manuals/Mauser48Manual.pdf

David

Edit: Helps if I add the fricken link huh...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just incase you change your mind on the manual... here's a link to my site for the manual. There are others there too, but this page is still under construction.

www.thumpershole.com/gun_manuals/Mauser48Manual.pdf

David

Edit: Helps if I add the fricken link huh...

Cool!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Good way to get cosmo off the metal is to dunk the parts in boiling water for a bit. Once pulled out, be sure to oil up damn good to avoid rust.

As for the stock, putting it in the oven at a very low temp will help sweat the cosmo out. Just heat, wipe, repeat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#21]
To clean the cosmolene out of my stocks, I take a two step approach.  While the wife is out, I remove the stock from the rifle and place it in a nice warm place.  Then once it is warm, I slather it with something like Fast Orange, Murphey's Oil Soap or the like.  Then I fill the tub with enought hot water to  submerge the rifle and scrub it good.  The hot water really helps break down the cosmolene.  Amazing how much dirt comes of of them.  Then I dry the rifle and let it sit fot a bit while I scrub the tub.  Wife comes home and I let her know what a good husband I am by telling her I scrubed the tub while she was out.

This method only gets the stuff near the surface, but I have found that if you warm the the stock with a hir blower, the remaining excess comes to the surface and can be wiped off.  After that, a bit of tung oil and I am done.  I don't sand them and I don't try to make them look like brand new sport rifles with nice shiney stocks.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had no real use for it. It couldn't do anything that my 700PSS or FAL couldn't do better and it was a pain in the ass to have to scrub it out after firing a couple rounds of corrosive ammo.

Here's a real news flash there is still modern ammo for the 7.98X57 !  Still it is WAY high priced,

Still I wished I had kept that old mauser just for the strong action,could allways rebarrel to .35 whealen!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top