Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 5:51:51 PM EDT
Who in the firearms industry makes a quality Vietnam-Era style AR-15? One manufacturer I've seen provide this is Fulton Armory. However, after hearing about FA's actions about threatening legal action for California customers who legally purchased their receiver, I have no intention of spending a dime this company.

Basically, the rifle would need to have a slick-side upper, meaning no forward assist, no shell deflector, plus a triangle handguard and a three-prong flash suppressor.

Here's a picture of what I'm looking for:

So, who makes rifles like these?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged.

Im saving my pennies for an AR, and I was thinking of going this route as well.  I want a classic look.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tagged.

Im saving my pennies for an AR, and I was thinking of going this route as well.  I want a classic look.

I already have a modern 16" Bushmaster Carbine and was looking for a good 20" model. I figure I mine as well go for a classic, complete with 20-rounders.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
What about an older Colt SP1?  From my observations from the last couple of gunshows I've been to, it seems like the SP1's have dropped in price lately.  It might be the best platform for you to start from.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Fulton is the only one that I know of.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody makes them!  A lot of folks are buying SP1 or Palmetto or true A1 spec lowers (early PWA or Eagle) on the EE and doing builds.

DPMS makes a small-hole 'slabside' receiver as pictured above, no forward assist, and it is listed in the Brownell's catalog.

You'll have to hunt for barrels on your own...

WA-Tom makes replica 3-prong brakes, Sarco sells originals too.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nobody makes them!  A lot of folks are buying SP1 or Palmetto or true A1 spec lowers (early PWA or Eagle) on the EE and doing builds.

DPMS makes a small-hole 'slabside' receiver as pictured above, no forward assist, and it is listed in the Brownell's catalog.

Crap. I was afraid of that. I wonder why no one will build any......
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
CDNN carries complete uppers (maybe an A1 config though, instead of SP1), and Sportsman's Guide has complete kits (minus lower of course).  I am sure some other people carry surplus uppers.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
What we need are the lowers...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Fulton Armory.
Don't blame them for the Kali fiasco - they are just scared shitless of the Kali DOJ.
They are not a large company, and don't have the finances to fight a law suit.
They are good guys, they have helped me a few times.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#10]
What about Total Silence on this board? Look in the industry section-I was drooling there last night.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#11]
SARCO  has kits with slick side uppers and 3 prong flash hiders.   $425.  Mine was not bad.  The barrel was chrome lined and in great shape.  I took the original trigger group and did the filing and welding to make it legal.   That plus a rcvr and you are in bidness.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Roboman, there was a recent debacle with someone trying to bring to market slab-side, XM607 (slab with a spring tunnel) and A1 (less beefy front and rear) lower receivers to market.

Nothing happening yet, many of us are similarly eager.  

I just sold an XM16E1 upper on the EE. CDNN has some new M16A1 uppers left but they have a forward assist.  Sounds like Sarco has what you'll need.

Palmetto made XM-looking lowers in the 1980s and PWA and others made A1 lowers back in the day also.

Sooner or later someone will bring nice forged units to market.  I need a couple...

So join the rest of us retro nuts and keep watching!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
those triangular handguards are soooo badass.  makes the rifle look about 10x meaner than an A2.  can someone tell me why they switched to cylindrical handguards?  was it a heat dissipation issue?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
those triangular handguards are soooo badass.  makes the rifle look about 10x meaner than an A2.  can someone tell me why they switched to cylindrical handguards?  was it a heat dissipation issue?

I think it was a combination of ergonomcs and economics. Some shooters had a tough time getting a secure grip, plus it was easier and cheaper to come up with a single  side design than to have dedicated left and right halves.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#15]
sounds like a VFG would work well then, that way you can have both the ergonomics and the badass looks
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Fulton Armory.
Don't blame them for the Kali fiasco - they are just scared shitless of the Kali DOJ.
They are not a large company, and don't have the finances to fight a law suit.
They are good guys, they have helped me a few times.

+1

You should go with fulton...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crap. I was afraid of that. I wonder why no one will build any......

The SP1 is a great rifle and you can still find 'sleepers'

I really like everything about the SP1. It is a light weight rifle. If I want to carry a heavier rifle I use a L1A1 SLR.

The M16 has suffered front weight gain as improvements have been made. Have you noticed that this happens with sports cars too. They start out with a light weight sports cars and then as new and facelift models come out they get heavier and heavier.

AR15SP1, Manf.1974
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Q.  "Who Makes A Quality Vietnam-Era AR-15?  "
A.   Anybody who wants one. Get the parts, knock yourself out.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought an early A1 upper a while back from CMG, inc. You might give Jeff or John a call and ask if they have any left and inquire about a barrel as well.

Karsten
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#21]
 You really should look at CMMG Inc. Jeff and John offer the best customer service I have seen and they can build about ANY configuration you can think up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Where have all the A1 buttstocks gone? I have had no trouble finding the early one with the pinned sling swivel, but I need a trapdoor model.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmm, maybe I will go with Fulton. We'll see though......
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Where have all the A1 buttstocks gone? I have had no trouble finding the early one with the pinned sling swivel, but I need a trapdoor model.

www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0660zAR15-A1%20-%20BUTTSTOCK%20ASSEMBLY

Note that while the illustration shows the A2 stock, the parts list for this diagram includes an A1 screw and does not list the A2 spacer. I believe these are take-offs from SP1s.

I'd suggest that you give them a call so you can speak with a real person.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What about an older Colt SP1?  From my observations from the last couple of gunshows I've been to, it seems like the SP1's have dropped in price lately.  It might be the best platform for you to start from.  

+1

You can pick up a Clot for under a grand, which for the real deal is the same ballpark as the NIB rifles.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#27]
The old handguards sucked,the new one were vented right and were double lined!

The slab side sucked,bumped some thing and mag dropped!

The old three pronged hiders sucked,got caught in just about every thing ,bushes,camo netting,and troups used them to twist off metal cargo shipping bands!

All the improvements on the M-16/AR-15 are just that!

But all that is not what makes one want to own a piece of history,you can buy a colt SP1 for about 800 or so!!

Or I quess you can build a replica for about that!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top