Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 12:48:04 PM EDT
I just picked up a Savage Model 10GXP3 package, it's a .308 rifle with a scope on it kind of deal.  I got it pretty cheap and I couldn't turn it down.  Question is, what is the best method and distance to set the scope in for?  This will just be used for target practice.  Say if I wanted to sight it in for 100 yards, do I just shoot at a taget at 100 yards and sight it in that way?  Is there a method to sight it in at 25 yards and have it be good for 300 yards, like the M16 and battlefield zero?  
Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
you have to start by zeroing it in at a close target (25 yards or so) and work your way outward.  when i first put my scope on, i wasn't even hitting paper at 50 yards, and it's hard to know which way your zero needs to be adjusted if you have no idea where the shots are going....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a bore sighter and then shoot it on paper at 100 or 25 and adjust to your liking
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, boresighting is the first thing you should do...if you dont own one, find your local Dicks sporting goods and they will do it for free. This will at least get you onto paper, should be pretty close, within a couple of inches or maybe closer...but def close enough to zero it in on your own.
What are you using the rifle for? paper slaying? this will depend on the range that you want to sight it in at. if you are going to be taget shooting at 100 yds. most of the time...i would boresight it, then take it to the 50 to make sure it is close, make adjustments if too far off...than head to the 100. butit really all depends on what your use for the rifle will be.

Diesel
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If you don't have access to a bore sighter, you can use the method for bolt action rifles that I actually prefer.  

#1. Make sure that your scope is set to mechanical center (helps with clarity and light cathering to have the scope as centered as possible without having to crank the adjustments just to get to paper)

#2. With the bases and rings on the rifle, I like to use alignment dowels to make sure that your rings are true and you will not bend the scope to conform to the rings, not a good idea for obvious reasons.  If there are some issues you may need to lap and or shim your rings for proper contact.  

#3. Now lay the scope in the bottom rings and install the ring caps to about finger tight.  With the rifle in a solid bench rest, aimed out of a window, find a target that is about 100 yards away. With the bolt removed from the rifle, sight through the bore of the rifle to your "target" that you have selected. Now look through your scope.  You can use this to address any shimming issues that need to be taken care of also.  

#4. Once you have it pretty close, you can tighted your rings and make any adjustments with your scope that you need.  

I have always had better success using this method than by using a bore sighter.  Good luck and enjoy that rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pull the bolt out and look at your target through the bore. I set a target at 50m.
Adjust the cross hairs to the target at that range. It will get you pretty damn close with no ammo expended.

Did it that way for years with good results.

+1

Start here...pull the bolt...stabalize the rifle...look down the barrel and adjust crosshairs to what you see down the barrel.

Then go to 25 yards and get windage dead on...elevation can be a little low.

Then go to 100-200 yards and get it where you like it.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a bit lazy.  I take a shot and see where it hits.  Then I adjust the crosshairs to that point.  That gets me on paper and then it is click stops for the fine tuning.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#8]

What happens if the first shot is not on paper....where do you adjust to...

IMHO some form of bore-sighting is a must.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If your not on paper at 25yds move it to 10yds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
When I look at the first shot I don't look at the paper.  I secure the rifle with it pointed to the center of the backstop and pull the trigger.  Then I change the scope to the point of impact.  Second shot to confirm and then go to paper to fine tune it.    

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 to boresighting by looking down the barrel.  Doesn't work too well on non-bolt guns though.
Then fire a shot at ~25 yards and see where ya are.  Adjust elev and wind so you should be 1-1.5" low at 25.  Fire another shot.  Once you are 1-1.5" low at 25, shoot at 100 and fine tune.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top