Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 5:25:04 AM EDT
Seen some pics of them and they look real good. It seems those that have them love them. What are the good/bad points of them? Seems like a cool rifle to me!

GR
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#1]
they tend to recoil a bit more than a mauser should.... fun littel rifle, thoguh I never did like the sights.

I wish I still had mine, it made a great bush gun
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The problem I have had the most is pinching my hand against the sights while working the bolt.  

They are great rifles though.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Good points:

Have a military look with G3/Cetme front sight and flash hider.

Bayonet lug

short barrel (makes a great brush or trunk gun)

Cost is low

Bad points:

Dial rear sight is a little odd, but not that bad

Don't care too much for the straight bolt, but that can be fixed and some do not have  a straight bolt.

Some have great wood stocks, others look like crap......(mine looks like crap)

But it is a fun rifle, but I don't shoot it that much.

Chris

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Some have great wood stocks, others look like crap......(mine looks like crap)

+1

Also, don't believe the 7.62 NATO can't be used BS.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not seen an FR8 with a curved bolt handle, but they may be out there.  The FR7 was built on the small ring mauser action, and it had a curved bolt handle.  The FR8 is stronger than the FR7, so be sure of what you get.  The FR8 is 7.62 NATO capable, but I am not sure about the FR7.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used 7.62 nato in mine without a problem. decent accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
After several years of looking I just bought Derek from Az Expert Arms' personal FR8. He had given it a few of his personal touches including replacing the straight bolt handle with one that is turned down. I haven't taken it out yet.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#9]
FR7's are small ring mauser actions coverted to 762x51nato. There is debate wetherthese are safe or not... The FR8 is built on a  mauser 98 action and will hold what ever you  stick in it.
The FR8  has a straight bolt, but there has been  some seenwith bent bolts that  are matching and very very hard to  not say it was done at arsenal.  The sites folks have issues with cuz  one, as said you can rake yer thumb /fingers across teh nocth and cut yerself, sites are 100 open v, then  200-300m and the 400m is the one by itsslef. if  sighted in correctly    (25m with the 200m peep)   all 4 sighst should be  dead on.   these are some of the hnadiest  lil 762x51  carbines   out there. only porblem is they only shipped them in once,, and thats it. what you find will only go up in price,, hell they are damn near over 300$ already!

sorry fer typos shitty  keyboard at  our office....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I have two FR-8s.  One is straight mil-spec, and the other is a sporterized version I bought.  It came with a plastic stock and the "gas tube" removed.  The bolt handle was "forced" to clear a scope, and the sights were removed and rings installed.  I threw on a ARTIV scope I had kicking around, and the little gun drives tacks.  It's also kinda cool having a bolt-action with a flash suppressor on it.

It says "FR-8" or "FR-7" right on the receiver, so if you aren't sure which one you're looking at, just read the receiver.

I think I paid $100 for the mil-spec and $125 for the sporter, both bought years and years ago.

The "gas tube" carries your cleaning kit.  

It's a good gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top