Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 4:09:26 PM EDT
Back in 03 they released a 1911 pistol and now have announced they are working on an AR15. In the meantime they released MP pistol and the Sigma series along with truely the most powerful handgun int he world, the SW500. I gotta say Im kind of impressed that they are transforming themselves from a tired old revolver company to a new manufacturer of some of America's favorite guns.

So the question is why? Did they see it was going to be sink or swim and decided to get their shit together? Also do you think they are done or are they going to release more cool stuff?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

So the question is why?

Current CEO is as retired Marine, that's why. Marines like to shoot fun stuff. 'nuff said, IMO.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see the current S&W as an inovater in the firearms industry. The trend to bigger revolver rounds has been going on since the Walker Colt. The 1911? Self explanetory. The M&P auto pistol was done by Glock. The AR15 is nearly a 50 year old design. The why is simply because it's what the market wants.

All of these are only new to S&W.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't see the current S&W as an inovater in the firearms industry. The trend to bigger revolver rounds has been going on since the Walker Colt. The 1911? Self explanetory. The M&P auto pistol was done by Glock. The AR15 is nearly a 50 year old design. The why is simply because it's what the market wants.

Never said they were innovators, Im just interested that they expanded.

I wont be impressed till they bring back their ammo line!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it is a damn shame.

They used to make the best tired, old, revolvers in the world.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:05:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the question is why?

Current CEO is as retired Marine, that's why. Marines like to shoot fun stuff. 'nuff said, IMO.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you think S&W has any plans for a .50 BMG?  They're getting into the AR market so why not?  MJD
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And Colt's is a retired Marine G.O.

And they're still sinking.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you think S&W has any plans for a .50 BMG?  They're getting into the AR market so why not?  MJD

Yeah there new revolver is 50 BMG didn't you hear about it, that way if your out in the woods and get attacked by helecoptors you'll be able to shoo them down.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahhhh, yes, that's why Colt guns tend to fly off the shelf so quickly despite their higher prices....because they're sinking......
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got several boxes of S&W ammo.  When did they quit?

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never said they were innovators, Im just interested that they expanded.

I wont be impressed till they bring back their ammo line!

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've got several boxes of S&W ammo.  When did they quit?

Early 80's.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Colt was sinking since the days of Sam Colt, sir. Plus, they were just sold, IIRC?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I won't buy a new one, period.

More for the rest of us!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the S&W revolvers BEFORE the lock.  I think that their new guns are worth nothing more than to shoot at paper targets, because that is the only thing I would trust them to do (the new ones).  Their ar may be different, but they want too much $ for it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh WOW I high dollar Stag/CMT gun with S&W engraved on it instead of a deer head..
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm curious as to why the built in trigger lock is so hated on this site.  I'm not too happy that they put it on there but my new 629 is just as smooth and shoots just as well as the first one that I owned several years ago that did not have the lock.

Is it just because you hate that fact that S&W gave into to Clinton's administration and added the lock?  Or is there something that makes the newer guns less reliable due to the lock?  Is there something that makes you not trust a new Smith revolver while walking through bear country due to the lock?

Just curious because I can't tell any difference in my new one from any other Smith that didn't have the built in lock other than the lock itself being there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm curious as to why the built in trigger lock is so hated on this site.(well the one on my 686 locked up when I was fireing it) I'm not too happy that they put it on there but my new 629 is just as smooth and shoots just as well as the first one that I owned several years ago that did not have the lock.

Is it just because you hate that fact that S&W gave into to Clinton's administration and added the lock?(not the same company anymore, now its american owned)  Or is there something that makes the newer guns less reliable due to the lock?(mine locked up, so has others, my springer GI has never done that) Is there something that makes you not trust a new Smith revolver while walking through bear country due to the lock?(yes)

Just curious because I can't tell any difference in my new one from any other Smith that didn't have the built in lock other than the lock itself being there(I hope it never happens to you).

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I won't buy a new one, period.

More for the rest of us!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]
No offense but your one gun locking up is not really an indicator of a bad design.  Is there documentable evidence of this happening on a regular basis?

I don't like to buy used guns so this would suck if the built in lock was such a liability.  Would be ironic that they "tried" to make the gun safer and actually made it more dangerous to the owner if it failed to work in a life threatening situation.

I've only shot mine once for about 60 rounds and it functioned exactly like my previous 29 and 686 that did not have the lock.  I plan to shoot it again before I take it hunting but it was never intended to be my primary hunting weapon and I don't live or hunt in bear country down here in Central Texas.  I bought it as a backup for hog hunting so unless it fails at the range or shows some sign of failure then I will trust it as a backup gun.

It just seems like people are complaining because of the politics involved with the lock.  If I'm wrong and there is good evidence to show it's an unreliable mechanism then I stand corrected and appreciate your input.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Is it just because you hate that fact that S&W gave into to Clinton's administration and added the lock?  Or is there something that makes the newer guns less reliable due to the lock?  Is there something that makes you not trust a new Smith revolver while walking through bear country due to the lock?

The Klinton gun grabbers didn't have anything to do with the trigger locks as much as the nuisance  lawsuits did, IMO.

Yes, we hate them because the locks are one more thing that can go wrong when we least need it to. Not to mention, should a thief steal one of our guns & kill someone with it, a jackass DA could bring charges against the honest owner for not having the gun "locked". It's been done in some areas already.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No offense but your one gun locking up is not really an indicator of a bad design.  Is there documentable evidence of this happening on a regular basis?

Isn't once too many if it was when we needed it to work?????????????
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Sure it is but you can say that about any weapon ever made.  Are every Colt or Glock or Sig ever made completely 100% reliable?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah there new revolver is 50 BMG didn't you hear about it, that way if your out in the woods and get attacked by helecoptors you'll be able to shoo them down.

I know what you are trying to say, but actually it is not a .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun). It is .500 S&W - which is, aside from similar diameters, entirely different.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what you are trying to say, but actually it is not a .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun). It is .500 S&W - which is, aside from similar diameters, entirely different.

That gave me an idea, could an AR15 be modified to accept .500 S&W magnum?  I've never examined one closesly, it's probably rimmed.  If it would work somehow that would be pretty cool.    MJD
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I do not want integral locks on any firearm I own.  It is ironic because Taurus earned their start chasing after S&W, and now S&W is trying to be like Taurus.

The quality control of S&W is in the gutter.  Their performance center isn’t even close to the quality of the old pinned end recessed models.  

So no, this isn’t my father’s Smith and Wesson because his isn’t a piece of turd.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#27]
S&W is on the cutting edge 21st century firearm design.  

First a 1911 and now an AR15.  I just saw a picture from the Shot Show with one of their new products.  It was AWESOME. Who would have thought they would set the standard for Bar-B-Q grills.

I am just waiting for them to re-introduce a pump shotgun and maybe something really innovative like a bolt action rifle.  Or how about a tactical muzzle loader? They could call them Military and Police too.

Only $995!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top