Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 10:20:13 AM EDT
If you have an opinion on Hk or Sig, concerning the good and bad of either company,  lets hear it.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig = awesome
HK = I'm indifferent

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had a problem with my HK's.

My Sig 220 needed a new extractor.......started FTE'ing (seems it was abused ).
Called Sig, they said "send it"......got it back a week later to the day......w/ New Extractor.
8 year old gun.  
Cost exactly = $0.00
YMMV
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a stainless 220, 226, two 229s and a 239.  I guess I must like SIGs.  I've never had the slightest problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Theyre BOTH good.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Both are too GD expensive!!!!!!!  Why can't they be more like Lorcins???????    
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased a Sig P228 six years ago.  Several thousand rounds later I still love the thing.
Never looked at HK.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I purchased a Sig P228 six years ago.  Several thousand rounds later I still love the thing.
Never looked at HK.

Same story, my 228 was stolen, and later recovered,  I have no idea how much it was shot while it was gone. I've put about 1000 thru it since I got it back. I think the thief  just broke it in. Shoots great.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no experance with HK but the fact that they dont sell much of there stuff to civies stops me from doing much looking at there stuff.

I do own a P228 as does my dad and neather have ever had a problem.  The cool thing is they are old Israel Police pistols.  They are beat and I have know idea how many rounds they have through them (have put 2000 through mine.  But they keep on going.  If I hold the frame tight and shake my hand slightly I can hear the slide clank left and right, it has much slop.  But again the thing works fine and the accuracy is acceptable.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
What brought about this thread......

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:17:16 AM EDT
[#11]
love for the P220 and never looking back :)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#12]
H&K Mechanically perfect +1
Sig P226r slide will not stay rear after last round. -1

H&K ugly (my USP 9 reminds me of a boxy 1980s volvo) -1
Sig HOT +1 (the only reason why I have not sold it)

I lean a little more towards the H&K. Hopefully the P3000 will be HOT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I've owned a Sig P228 since '93 and in the thousands of rounds I have put through it I have not had a single malfunction and it is still quite accurate for a compact.

My HK USP .40 Compact Stainless I've owned since '00 doesn't have the high mileage that my 228 does but it has been 100% reliable as well. It's not as accurate as the Sig either.

I like both.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have no experance with HK but the fact that they dont sell much of there stuff to civies stops me from doing much looking at there stuff.

What does H&K not sell that is not prohibited by US laws, sir????

BTW, it's spelled "their".  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does H&K not sell that is not prohibited by US laws, sir????

BTW, it's spelled "their".  

Awww come on...

That's true but, they have made NO EFFORT AT ALL to release any no-ban guns to the American public...

Look at SIG, FN, and Steyr...

ETA:

Please don't be an HK apologist...

There isn't an excuse to be stingy about selling legal parts to civilians...

They won't even do that...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#16]
HK_Shooter_03

Even agencies have a hard time getting parts (that are expensive) and user support. HK just isnt customer friendly no matter who you are or work for. Before the import ban, HK made models strickly for the US market to comply with stupid laws. Now the only way they will be able to sell the rifles we want is if they have a US plant. THAT is a big investment. HK is not going to open a US plant for the civillian market only.

Everybody hated the XM-8, but it probably would have greatly increased the chance for a USA HK. (I do not think we are missing much, though)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Both companies make very high quality firearms, which is why I own products from both of them.

I like H/K slightly more than SIG.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my USP compact but I only have about 300rd through it so far  

I would have gotten a SIG instead because of SIG reputation for customer service and the metal frame but I much prefered the action and saftey system found on the USP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Sig great
HK overpriced
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Sig appears to make an excellent product (i have a P220 stainless), and their tech support customer service are top notch.

HK also makes an excellent product (i HAD a USP40), but i got some *severe* attitude from a woman on the phone when i called looking for real mags for my USP about 2 months after the AWB ended. who knows, she had probably been swamped with the same call over-and-over again, so i won't hold it against them.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I really like sig - sig will answer a question - sig doesnt threaten to sue people who buy uppers from their distributors lawfully.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#22]
SIGARMS: Nice pistols
SwissArms: Great rifles

HK: Great pistols and rifles.

I have just about every model HK that's worth having and some things they'd rather I not have, and they are all great.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Hk= builds handguns that are very reliable, more accurate than most, and work, no matter how much I abuse them, regardless of conditions.

Sig= inability to produce a handgun with a functioning slide lock.  Its such a simple component that it blows my mind that they still have as many lock back issues as they do.  I also don't like that mine must be swimming in oil to work properly.  Otherwise, its accurate, fit and finish is nice, and it feels nice in the hand.  It just happens to be the most finicky handgun I own, even moreso than my...gasp...1911.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sig= inability to produce a handgun with a functioning slide lock.  Its such a simple component that it blows my mind that they still have as many lock back issues as they do.  I also don't like that mine must be swimming in oil to work properly.  Otherwise, its accurate, fit and finish is nice, and it feels nice in the hand.  It just happens to be the most finicky handgun I own, even moreso than my...gasp...1911.

You know, most glock kabooms are because of bad reloads.

And most if not all SIG slide lock problems are an operator / training issue.  Perhaps it's SIG's fault for putting the slide release where they did, but almost all of those problems are the shooter riding the release.

"But I swear I wasn't riding the release!"

Yes you were, if only for a split second during recoil.

I have owned several SIGs, and never had one fail to lock back.  I've seen and corrected shooters who had supposed lock-open issues, and they were always riding the release.

But I prefer H&K over SIG if I have to choose just one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, most glock kabooms are because of bad reloads.

And most if not all SIG slide lock problems are an operator / training issue.  Perhaps it's SIG's fault for putting the slide release where they did, but almost all of those problems are the shooter riding the release.

"But I swear I wasn't riding the release!"

Yes you were, if only for a split second during recoil.

I have owned several SIGs, and never had one fail to lock back.  I've seen and corrected shooters who had supposed lock-open issues, and they were always riding the release.

But I prefer H&K over SIG if I have to choose just one.

Been through that about...million times over.

Even shot the thing left handed just to be sure.

Heres the kicker- I even had my sisters ex boyfriend who is a Navy SEAL fire the damn thing (you know, the guys who are trained on 226's?)  and he even had lock back issues.

Once I dumped oil on the damn thing, it ran fine.  I've since fired it with "normal" lube (and by normal I mean what I apply to every other handgun brand on the face of the planet) and it fails to lock back.  Tried mec-gar 15, 17's, and zipper backs with the same results.

So please, shut your mouth and don't try and tell me what I am or am not doing.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't have any Sigs right now, had a 226 and 229, sold them off... The 556 looks interesting, might pick one up at some point.

Still have a couple of HKs, though.  Very nice guns, very reliable, fun to shoot...
HK parts are hard to come by for some reason. I suspect they do things in runs and get backordered frequently.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Heres the kicker- I even had my sisters ex boyfriend who is a Navy SEAL fire the damn thing (you know, the guys who are trained on 226's?)  and he even had lock back issues.

Does he make good jerky?

(I kid, I kid.)

So please, shut your mouth and don't try and tell me what I am or am not doing.  

Done, my apologies -- it's just kinda like the glock kaboom thing -- a fluke and not a real common design flaw.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#28]
After reading what I posted, that came across really dickish on my part.

My apologies for sounding like an asshole.  Definitely not called for in this case.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
After reading what I posted, that came across really dickish on my part.

My apologies for sounding like an asshole.  Definitely not called for in this case.

No dude, honestly my original post was the dickish one, it was arrogant.  Yours was right in line with what I deserved and expected (I realized before reading a response what I had coming.)

I'm not normally one to tell someone I know more about their gun than they do, and that's exactly what I did.

We'll call it even.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I hate DA/SA guns with only a decocker, so I have no use for most of SIG's lineup. If they ever make a P226 SAO, I will get one. If they make a SIG 556 that's not silly, will get one of them too.

I have an HK91 (that's NIB, so I never shoot it...not even sure why I still own it), and a V9 USP. Like the USP, like 1911s better.

Mostly, I am ambivalent about both companies. I get annoyed by HK bashers often and feel the need to defend them, though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#31]
So uh...I'll pay the shipping so you can send that 91 to me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I like them both, but prefer HK.

I'm not too sure about the SigPro though.  A buddy of mine had one in 9mm and we were shooting once.  All new factory rounds, no reloads or remanufactured. When we were done shooting and wipin them down, I noticed a small crack in the frame, just abot the trigger guard IIRC.  Later he saw one on the other side.  He sent it back to SIG, but they basically said too bad.  They told him to find hte specific round that caused the frame to crack and have the ammo company pay for the replacement frame.  Right, like anybody is going to be able to find the specific casing that caused that.  Maybe if it were severely overloaded and was obvious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top