Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 4:24:22 PM EDT
One camp says go buy one fully made ready to rock.

One camp says BYOAR-BuildYourOwnAR

One camp I have heard is build one and go to an arms company to finish it off?

What say you? TIA
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends...

Most of the Guys here on ar15.comlike adding bits and changing this and that.

If  you know  anything about computers, the question is the same.
Buy off the shelf, or Build your own. It depends mostly on your requirements and knowledge.
- Off the Shelf is easy, Might not be exactly what you're after, but will work just fine.
- Build your own, exactly what you want, Might be cheaper, might be ALOT more money.

If you are a just starting out, Buy off the shelf. It's alot easier unless you know exactly what you are after.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It depends...

Most of the Guys here on ar15.comlike adding bits and changing this and that.

If you anything about computers, the question is the same.
Buy off the shelf, or Build your own.
Off the Shelf is easy, Might not be exatcly what you're after, but will work just fine.
Build your own, exactly what you want, Might be cheaper, might be ALOT more money.

If you are a just starting out, Buy off the shelf. It's alot easier unless you know exactly what you are after.

Funny you mention computers.  Yes I would be starting out.  For *my* first computer of my own I "inherited" one from my sister.  Then for the one I am typing this on, I built my own.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If new to AR's buy a factory Colt, Bushmaster or RRA rifle.

If you are familiar with the design they roll your own to your specs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd get a complete ready to rock AR.  I've built a few but for your first one you should
get a complete gun.  Also, you really don't save any money.  Its mostly the fact that
you get into it and enjoy the tinkering but unless you can really shop out some good
deals on parts there is no savings.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy an assembled Stag lower for like $200 or so, and them get a complete stag upper for around $450 or so.

Basically a factory assembled gun, and the prices are tough to beat for what you get.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a complete Bushmaster. I have seen some excellent deals in Equipment Exchange . Just watch and the deals show up. Go and shoot the heck out of it and see what your interests are. Then add a trigger or an optic if you want. Enjoy
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the advice guys.

At least this was one tech forum thread where I wasn't called a troll.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I built my own.
Got some bad news for you though - Ill has a bill pending that would completly ban all semi-autos.
In addition, you may want to check Cook Counties rules on AR15s - you know them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I built my own.
Got some bad news for you though - Ill has a bill pending that would completly ban all semi-autos.
In addition, you may want to check Cook Counties rules on AR15s - you know them.

I'm seriously considering a move to Indiana or Minnesota or somewhere with half an fricking ounce of freedom.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're doing it, I'd get a complete Stag lower and then get a complete RRA or Stag upper.

All you would have to do is push 2 pins and you'd have a complete AR. Add ammo and mags and you're ready for some fun at the range.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Goto the EE on here....buy a complete rifle for a discount, learn it, then build your second one or change the first one to your liking.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay, here's my next question:
If I buy a stag arms upper and a stag arms lower, can I switch out the mag and the grip for different colored ones if I wanted to?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Just make it easy and buy a Bushmaster or a Colt.

Edited to add: Get both.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy a factory gun. They come with warranties. Usually.

Simon
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What say you? TIA

Over 10,000 posts and you ask this???
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say you? TIA

He joined the site because it's primarily, politically, Republican oriented, IIRC. Not because he's got an AR.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say you? TIA

He joined the site because it's primarily, politically, Republican oriented, IIRC. Not because he's got an AR.

WIZZO

Sums it up.  But that's not what we're hear to discuss right now

One more question, does it really matter if it's a Colt or a Bushmaster?  What I mean is, are there really any differences between the two beside name?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#23]
"Build" could mean assemble the upper, assemble the lower and join the two together, or it could mean get an assembled upper, assemble the lower and join them together. You can also just buy an assembled upper and an assembled lower and join them together. Lastly, you can buy a fully assembled gun with the upper and lower already joined. You knew this.

The greatest ego boost and bragging rights and the greatest choice in components comes from doing the most assembling possible, the least comes from buying a fully assembled gun. How much of an ego boost do you want or need? What sort of bragging rights do you hope to get? How much choice in components do you want?

I'm going with pre-assembled upper and lower but from two different assemblers. So I did make some choices on components, but didn't do any assembling myself. My bragging rights are zero. However, trying to brag on ar15.com about "building" an AR15 is like going into Guitar Center and trying impress someone by playing the guitar. It might happen, but it's not likely.

GL

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say you? TIA

WIZZO

Sums it up.  But that's not what we're hear to discuss right now

One more question, does it really matter if it's a Colt or a Bushmaster?  What I mean is, are there really any differences between the two beside name?

Not really.
Some people may feel so, but IMO, the only thing Colt has going for it is their M16 BCG.
So, if you want, buy a Bushy, and then buy a Colt M16 BCG.
And you'll still have mil. spec. FCG pins.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy a Bushmaster or RRA.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]
+1 on the buying a lower locally and getting a good upper from an arfcom industry partner off the EE. Nevermind the proposed legislation, but I dont know if you're in Cook County, check local laws for yourself.

Im going to reccomend you read and not post in the AR tech forum for about a month and learn everything you can.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Talk to Tooly, He can probably get ya one.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=267598
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
+1 on the buying a lower locally and getting a good upper from an arfcom industry partner off the EE. Nevermind the proposed legislation, but I dont know if you're in Cook County, check local laws for yourself.

Im going to reccomend you read and not post in the AR tech forum for about a month and learn everything you can.

Thanks for the advice.  Yes I do live in Crooked County, cough cough, Cook County.  The laws outside of unincorporated areas do not prohibit AR's.  But this new legislation worries me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.  Yes I do live in Crooked County, cough cough, Cook County.  The laws outside of unincorporated areas do not prohibit AR's.  But this new legislation worries me.

Well, it ain't here yet, so buy what you want.

The only reason that stupid proposed bill should affect your buying decision is if it gets passed.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it ain't here yet, so buy what you want.

The only reason that stupid proposed bill should affect your buying decision is if it gets passed.

WIZZO

Damn Communist Illinois...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Well as I understand it as long as its not a Colt lower you should be fine. I would just go over to C-ville and get a DPMS lower from Rguns; then order something off the EE or some of the fine industry folk here. But honeslty just learn everything you can for a while, ask questions, decide what you would like and buy it. Come to a blastfest sometime, everyone is nice and would let you shoot some of their AR's so that you could decide what you like.  If you dont want to ask N0oB questions in the tech forums (although there is nothing wrong with that) you could even ask in the Il forum, we wouldnt bite ya.

Im glad to see you actually wanting to buy an evil rifle and shoot it, I think once you do it would be a lot of fun for ya.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Well as I understand it as long as its not a Colt lower you should be fine. I would just go over to C-ville and get a DPMS lower from Rguns; then order something off the EE or some of the fine industry folk here. But honeslty just learn everything you can for a while, ask questions, decide what you would like and buy it. Come to a blastfest sometime, everyone is nice and would let you shoot some of their AR's so that you could decide what you like.  If you dont want to ask N0oB questions in the tech forums (although there is nothing wrong with that) you could even ask in the Il forum, we wouldnt bite ya.

Im glad to see you actually wanting to buy an evil rifle and shoot it, I think once you do it would be a lot of fun for ya.

IM inbound
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I too bought the assembled lower and then purchased an assembled upper.  Was easier to get what I wanted.  A collapsible stocked lower with a flattop upper with a govt. profile midlength bbl in 1:7 Twist with a chromelined bore, A2 FH, and bayo lug.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#34]
If it were my first I would get a factory assembled gun otherwise building them is fun
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought an upper from Adco and a lower from Legal Transfers. I recommend both highly
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#36]
If I were you.....for your first AR I would just buy a complete one.  I was thinking about building my first AR, but decided on buying a complete Olympic Arms AR.  I couldn't be happier.....great price, shoots 3/4" groups at 100yds, and looks and functions as good as any Bushy or RRA that I've seen.

It's also nice to buy a complete rifle for you first AR so you can get a good feel of how it goes together, and what you like and/or don't like about it.  Then if you decide to build you.....you will know exactly what parts you will need....and how to assemble them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top