Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 11:02:06 AM EDT
MauserMark,

Here is my Kar-98K and I would like some advise on how to refinish it or even if it is worth it. Can the wood be saved? I used polymer to re-do it on my previous failed attempt. Given that is has been denazified there is no danger of ruining the original finsih...I already did anyway.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The wood looks fine actually, about like mine.  I would get that 44/40 bluing paste from brownells.com and try that for the metal.  Remove the previous bluing with birchwood-casey's blue and rust remover or a liberal amount of hoppes and steel wool.  Degrease it with a degreaser spray/solvent, let it dry then put coat after coat of the blue paste on, rubbing it evenly across the surface, wipe off excess paste, let dry for a while then keep doing it until you get the color you want.  Other than that the rifle looks nice, I wouldn't mess with the wood.

-mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top