Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 7:46:57 AM EDT
My best friend is an SF operator and currently in Afghanistan.  He emailed me today asking about a way to blue a gun in the field.  

Seems a couple unruly cavemen took the wrong angle on diplomacy and had to be shown the error in their ways.  so my buddy ended up with a couple AKs.  One chinese, one russian.  He wants to clean them up a bit.

What would be the best way to do that?  I suggested giving them a Krylon camo job but want to be able to offer some other options.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not the best in the world, but the Birchwood-Casey cold blue (either liquid or paste) may be a good idea. I've used the liquid to decent effect, and I'd imagine the paste is about the same. Is your friend trying to restore their looks, or just as a rust inhibitor? Cold blue is easy, but takes a lot of patience to get right/get an even look all over. I don't know how easy it would be to get it/ship it for him, but at least it's not an aerosol can. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless he's doin it for looks, there's really no need. Except for a little rain here and there, the negative one thousand percent humidity over there doesn' t make for much rust.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It is desert like in Kahandahar and Western Afghanistan but it was downright snowy and wet in the North and East parts of the country. Im sure he goes in and out of Bagram and there is actually a "gunshop" downtown there. Yes, I was there in 2002, fairly frightening...AKs in a pile, RPG rounds laying on the floor...Might be able to scare something up there. Otherwise, the paint thing would work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replys.  I've forwarded them on to him and will get some more input.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I would just paint them with High temp flat black paint. I think it is the stuff made for grills. You should send him a can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top