Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 6:45:07 AM EDT
I had a hella time trying to mails some ammo UPS a while back and finally gave up. I had asked if the postal service had any provisions at the same time and the clerk said "why not the gun isnt with it" but out of caution I just didnt. Yesterday I was standing in the post office waiting to mail my lower to get it engraved for sbring and I just kind of looked at everything on the wall. Looked at the wanted posters (swear I saw one of those people before, probably on another wanted poster), the postal rates, the door to the little room I went in when I tried to mail a SL8 barrel and they didnt know what it was, and a materials advisery poster. This poster listed things that could not be mails, showing their stickers, and said a little about them. At the bottom however, there was a short part about what can be mailed. Among a few other things was the ORM-D sticker. I asked the clerk at the counter and she said "I dont know but if it sais it on the thing." So there you go, anyone want to input?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#1]
No can do, ammunition cannot be mailed
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Question is why did they post that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Question is why did they post that.

It's their way of letting people know ORM-D items are restricted from mailing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Might depend upon which ORM-D items they are talking about.  There is a small statement at the top of the sticker that specifies more precisely what is in the package.  I noticed that some makeup my wife got came with an ORM-D sticker.  Top had some kind of consumer product statement.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]
That would make more sense. Because the poster says "things that can be mailed by ground" and that is where it was listed. Then again, if the thing says you can mail it and federal law says any ammo must say ORM-D you arnt really obligated to tell them what is in it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, you are required to properly name the material being shipped.  The ORM-D label will read either "Consumer Commodities"  or "Small Arms Ammunition"   (I think that is how they read).  This identifies them, states that they are properly packed, are in limited quantity (as established by regs) and therefore removed from other hazardous materials marking requirements.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Now that makes more sense. I will have to go back and look at the sign. I will also have to look at what has been sent to me before. I beleive everything has been cartridge small arms except for one box said consumer comodity.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#8]
i just shipped some ammo.  ups will ship anything .50 or smaller.  but it can't be more than 60lbs i think.  on the box you have to draw a rectangle and write ORM-D inside it and then near that write "cartridges small arms" and you are set.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top