Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2006 5:25:32 PM EDT
I can't stand people who approach you appearing to want to talk about firearms, when in reality, they just wanna brag about what they have and prove to you how much of an idiot they are!!
I was engaged in a casual firearms discussion earlier today and started to talk about my Bushmaster M4A3...this retard opens his mouth and says "Yeah...I seen those...thats called an Elephant gun....it gots banana clips right?" (Note: I did not seek out this conversation...I was at school between classes reading the new Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, when this shit bag approached me) So I brush off his comment thinking it was just a brief retardism....well, a second later, he says he has 3 .380s,  because ".380 is the best bullet ever made" I ask him what kind of .380 pistols he has and he says he only really has 2, he just sold his Hi Point, but he kept a Taurus and a Jennings... I said to him "I don't have enough deodorant for this conversation...later" What a retard!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had the same problem.  I try and avoid gun conversations just like you did.  I had someone tell me that they had an M1 garand but it was at their uncle's house because "he has the license".  They also told me how much better the AK-47 is than the AR-15 because the AR jams all the time.  :D
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny...I've put about 3000 rounds thru my AR...mix of Wolf, WWB, and Black Hills...no jams...Maybe he just wanted to seem Kewl
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
My normal conversation with gun retards usually ends up something like this.

M1 Carbines, those guns like to smash your fingers.  Give you M1 Thumb.

STFU

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I had this idiot today tell me all about his Glock that he keeps in his truck.  He's in one of my classes and don't even know his name.  The stupid part is that I also know that they guys a convicted felon because he's mentioned that at a volume loud enough for many ears to hear in the hallway.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had this idiot today tell me all about his Glock that he keeps in his truck.  He's in one of my classes and don't even know his name.  The stupid part is that I also know that they guys a convicted felon because he's mentioned that at a volume loud enough for many ears to hear in the hallway.

Sounds like a phone call to local law enforcement is in order. Heck, there may even be a small reward that can pay for a new toy, or at least some ammo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure redcap has a story or two for us.

My favorite was the furniture warehouse worker who said he did some work for the CIA and they let him keep an Mp5-40. He said, machine guns are illegal, but if they know you're ok then you can have them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, the felon and the CIA agent...real winners....I'd be a dick and call the PD on the felon...just because
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to be a lot like that. I called magazines 'clips' and vise versa. I thought that you had to have a special license to own ar15's and similar weapons. I once thought that machine guns were completely illegal and then when I found they were not I thought that the only way to get one was by being in the military and getting to keep one. I went around on a few message boards making BS statements to learn cause I was too gutless to ask questions.

Of course I was like 12 years old at the time. I have grown a lot since then and I have done considerable study and research on all of those subjects, asked a million and one questions, answered several myself and gorwn much in the world of firearms. However I believe I only had those assuptions and went around making those BS claims because I was a kid with a vivid imagination.

How in the world can ADULTS be that stupid?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have known plenty of people who seem to know the ups down lefts and rights about every military firearms there is to man, but the second you hold to their face a hunting rifle or a target pistol or a double barrel shotgun, they have zero idea of what you are talking about.

I had one kid tell me he wasn't going to join me and my friends at a range trip because the specific range we where going to didn't allow rapid fire and shooting from the hip.  He had an semi auto AK47 knockoff with 1000 rounds and he have rather have stayed home with his thumb up his ass then shoot a few targets at the shooting range.  Obviously, he purchased the gun for shits and grins and to look cool.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Haha...you always run into the smart ones at McDonalds...I had one guy tell me that a Dodge Neon frame was more aerodynamic that a 30-06 round
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#12]
A "shady character" who is not involved in gang activity or anything (but is stupid and unwilling/unable to understand the laws) once asked me if I knew anything about a "Nine-Tec" .  Of course he meant Tec-9.    I said yes, they suck ass and are banned in CA anyway.  He then claimed that he bought one off of someone for $400 for protection and that it came with a silencer and was stored in a briefcase.  This is someone who knows NOTHING about guns.  At this point I was trying to find a way to end the conversation, then they brought up that they fired it already.  I had to ask in what circumstances because this is a person so stupid they wouldn't know about going to the range.  They claimed that they fired it at work at some cardboard boxes and that it made no noise with the silencer on!  

I don't know if they were making this up or not, one thing that jumps out to me is that whoever would have sold this would probably be too stupid to get 147gr subsonic loads for it.  I finally managed to get out of the conversation, but I had already heard too much!  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here is a story I posted awhile back.

While travelling back home today, my son and I stopped at a nearby McDonald's for lunch. When I walked up to the counter to place my order, the young man standing behind it noticed my ARFCOM T-shirt.

He says so I can hear him "The AR15, same as the Mini-14 and the M16". Then he says the only difference between the AR and M16 is that the AR15 shoots the .223 and the M16 shoots 7.62x39.

I told him he was close, but off just a little bit. The M16 shoots 5.56 and/or .223 ammo.

He then tells me that he is a Ranger and that the M16A5 they use, shoots the 7.62x39 round.

He then says that the first sniper rifle he was issued was a .50 so he could shoot at tanks with it. He even saw a .50 round go through a cinder block at 250m.

He then says that after basic he was given the rank of E4 because he helped bring in 14 other guys when he enlisted. He then complained that even though he was only 25 they wanted to force the rank of E8 on him.

As we walked out my son said "that guy is stupid". He was 9 at the time.

When I was in Boy Scouts I got a special "RECRUITER" patch for recruiting a certain number of people.  Maybe that is what he meant?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I know what you mean.  I was in a conversation today with a salor who said he could put 10 rounds in a 10 in group with an M16 and M855 from 1,200 meters.  

yea, sure dude.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

While travelling back home today, my son and I stopped at a nearby McDonald's for lunch. When I walked up to the counter to place my order, the young man standing behind it noticed my ARFCOM T-shirt.

He says so I can hear him "The AR15, same as the Mini-14 and the M16". Then he says the only difference between the AR and M16 is that the AR15 shoots the .223 and the M16 shoots 7.62x39.

I told him he was close, but off just a little bit. The M16 shoots 5.56 and/or .223 ammo.

He then tells me that he is a Ranger and that the M16A5 they use, shoots the 7.62x39 round.

He then says that the first sniper rifle he was issued was a .50 so he could shoot at tanks with it. He even saw a .50 round go through a cinder block at 250m.

He then says that after basic he was given the rank of E4 because he helped bring in 14 other guys when he enlisted. He then complained that even though he was only 25 they wanted to force the rank of E8 on him.

I praise you for not turning that guy into hamburger meat.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I was at work the other day and the "new" guy walks over to me and starts up a conversation.

This was the first time I had a chance to talk to him.
After seeing a gun magazine on top of my tool box.  He tells me this............. "I know a place where I can buy Military Issue, Chrome plated, Desert Eagles in 47 caliber. With no serial numbers."
He also lets me know that you can file off part of the "Firing Pin" in any gun to make it full auto.

As soon as I heard that  load of bullshit I started to ignore him and would not even look at him.  He no longer tries carry on a conversation with me.

Then there was the guy at my last job knew where he could get a "military issue" MAC 10.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I was talking about Carry permits once and this guy told me, yea he got the federal one to carry in all 50 states
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I just nod
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#20]
We have a guy at work who swears by the Jennings. Tells of miraculous feats of marksmanship with it even. I kinda tune him out when he starts, but something about the FBI qualifcation course and out shooting everyone else with his custom tuned Jennings, firing from the hip! Which he tuned himself because it was the only way to make it work right. I think he actually believes it all too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember an idiot telling me that he had a PSG-1 that could break down to fit in an 18" case.  Either that was a freaking short barrel, or one of the disassembly tools was a hacksaw.  And I'm sure everyone can guess what he said you could do with a potato...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was at work the other day and the "new" guy walks over to me and starts up a conversation.

After seeing a gun magazine on top of my tool box.  He tell me this............. "I know a place where I can buy Military Issue, Chrome plated, Desert Eagles in 47 caliber. With no serial numbers."
He also lets me know that you can file off part of the "Firing Pin" in any gun to make it full auto.

As soon as I heard that  load of bullshit I started to ignore him and would not even look at him.  He no longer tries carry on a conversation with me.

Then there was the guy at my last job knew where he could get a "military issue" MAC 10.

WOW......If it weren't for my firearms.....I'd be pretty scared of these people
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have known plenty of people who seem to know the ups down lefts and rights about every military firearms there is to man, but the second you hold to their face a hunting rifle or a target pistol or a double barrel shotgun, they have zero idea of what you are talking about.

I had one kid tell me he wasn't going to join me and my friends at a range trip because the specific range we where going to didn't allow rapid fire and shooting from the hip.  He had an semi auto AK47 knockoff with 1000 rounds and he have rather have stayed home with his thumb up his ass then shoot a few targets at the shooting range.  Obviously, he purchased the gun for shits and grins and to look cool.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No offense or flame intended but some people like to shoot. And I mean shoot, not shoot a round or two, stop and rest and shoot the breeze with everyone then shoot another round or two and stop to rest again. Some people just like to shoot, just like some people love to drive.  Imagine having a porsch 911 turbo and a perfectly good track to drive fast on but the owners have a rule that says "speed limit 40mph." I mean geeze whats the point?

Some people enjoy taking their own sweet time but some people dont. The kid blasting away from the hip with his AKor sks isnt any less of a sportsman or gun owner than the guy lazily shooting at clay targets as they zing overhead with his 4 shot capacity bird gun, or vise versa.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#25]
oops, dbl tap.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

After seeing a gun magazine on top of my tool box.  He tell me this............. "I know a place where I can buy Military Issue, Chrome plated, Desert Eagles in 47 caliber. With no serial numbers."

That is one thing I can never understand, and a thing I never believed. I have had a few people tell me that, one of which works pretty regularly on machines. Youd think someone like that would know that filing a little on one small part will not change the way the entire machine operates.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is one thing I can never understand, and a thing I never believed. I have had a few people tell me that, one of which works pretty regularly on machines. Youd think someone like that would know that filing a little on one small part will not change the way the entire machine operates.

A lot of the simple mods will allow a slam fire if you're using soft commerical primers, but with military ammo and their hard primers, it just don't work Cletus. For instance, I can remove the disconnector spring from an AK and shoot Wolf one shot at a time. But if I use Winchester it'll slamfire on some rounds. This is probably where the myths got started. Somebody broke their rifle and exagerrated the story to their friends.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Actually ,
filing the firing pin can change the way an entire machine
operates.

It can make it not work at all !    

I've known people who have actually done things like that to
a rifle they know nothing about.

It's amazing I haven't recognized more of their names in
the obituary column of the local paper.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#29]
We were admiring my friends' new M1A when this guy walks into the gunshop and said" I shot those in the Army, I ws so good they almost made me a sniper. Oh yeah what's that little dohickey there?" Pointing to the safety.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder how many people say you can file the firing pin to make a bolt action full auto?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder how many people say you can file the firing pin to make a bolt action full auto?

Theres probably someone dumb enough.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure I could make that retard believe anything about firearms.
He is full of bullshit and complete lies. The funny part is, I think he actually believes crap that comes out of his mouth.
He couldn't even get the bullshit myth right. EVERYONE knows you file on the disconector.

I can't even count the number of times I have been told that. "Yep, just file on the disconector and it will be full auto."  
Damn, those Retartd Morons piss me off!!!

I also like the Potato Silencer Retards

Lets not forget the Retards that think everything is a freaking 9mm!!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I was working armed security patrol about a year ago, and went into a gas station to get a pack of cigarettes and a soda...I had my Ruger p345 on my hip with the big reg Ruger embelem exposed....while waiting in line, two homies got in the next line over and started talking about my pistol...one said "is that a Nine?" and the other goes "No its a Glock" I just ignored them, paid for my stuff and walked out
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I must be a lucky one. I met a kid in one of my government classes this semester who actually knows what he is talking about when it comes to guns. We have had many sensable and realistic conversaions about furearms. It is nice to be able to carry on a firearms disscussion in person with someone who is not a complete fuckin retard.

I did have a kid in my physics class last year tell me that he could shoot a pop can from 800 meters with a 9mm. i think not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I think he might need to pay more attention to his physics class if he thinks he can pull that off......
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Im a senior in High School,  I hear bullshit all day long.
Though, Its good to have a shooting buddy in my classes, so we can call "bullshit" on all the retards.

Most of these are from the same kid,  He also has 50 cousins...that are all in the military and range from Special Forces, Seals...they have been in every war since WWII, and even top secret ones he cant talk about.  When he speaks out in class we call it "The Bullshit Festival"

Heres a list from what I remember within the last year

"My father has 2 Marine Issue 9mm beretta's with 25 round clips" ::Continues to move his hands like hes pulling the slide back::
This story changes too, now he has .40's not 9mm's.

"M1 Garands use Bandoleers" I told him he was wrong, and what hes thinking of are "En-Block Clips"  
He continues on to say "My Cousin was in korea and he knows what hes talking about, your wrong"

All Remington 700's in .243 are Sniper Rifles in his mind.

He told me I dont own an AK74 because there is no such thing.

In the movie Jumanji he called the Gun that Van Pelt gets at the store, a "High Tech Sniper Rifle" I laugh and say its actually a USAS-12 shotgun.  But again im wrong and according to him "No, that cant be a shotgun is a high tech military sniper rifle"

"All Russian Rifles and American Rifles use the same caliber"  
"And AK's and AR's can share parts"

He told us a story in shop about how He got to go to the base with his cousin(1 of the 50) and shoot .50 Caliber Machine guns, and drive tanks, Hummers, and that his cousin gets to take M60's and M4's home because he's a high rank MP in the National Guard

Then the usual
"I can make your gun full auto"
"I know what im talking about and they are called Clips!"
"My uncle used one of those when he passed through Ranger School, Seals, and in the National Guard"

I also made a mistake by bringing one of these kids shooting...He always bragged about how good he is with a .22 Target rifle, and that he can outshoot me with any rifle.
So I bring down my M4gery, and Rem. 700(After listening to kyle in class, he too called my rem. 700 a sniper rifle)
He couldnt hit shit with the AR15, and didnt like the Rem. 700 Because "There was too much kick"

Ive been in school with these fools for 4 years now, I can add more to this list, But ill post the updated ones this week when I go back to school... Gotta love the Bullshit Festival.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#38]
It's bad enough when you hear this crap from a person who has no firearms education, but it is even worse when you listen to the BS that politicains spew about firearms.

Currently in Illinois they are trying to ban the .50 sniper rifle.  Our govenor made the comment that a person with a .50 could be standing on the John Hancock building and shoot someone in the bleachers at Wrigley Field, more than 4 miles away.

Mayor King Daley recently said the following, "Every sane person would agree that machine guns and grenades should be illegal. Their only purpose is to kill large numbers of people."

A quote from the same article, "Assault weapons are extremely dangerous, often used in violent crimes, and are a threat to public safety. These weapons fire bullets rapidly and can fire at multiple targets".

Sometimes I don't know if these jerks are purposely trying to deceive the public, or if they really believe this stuff and are actually that stupid.

If I hear a .50 called a sniper rifle one more time, I'm gonna .
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Although moderately gifted, my students are really gun-stoopit.
They mostly learn stuff from sci-fi video games.
So, on  alternating weeks when I'm not saving the world from/for democracy (As a Ranger sniper or Green baret) I have been schoolin' the youngins' on just what kind of smoke poles people really do shoot at each other wit'.
I'm also pretty sure I have the only group of middle year students who have calculated the approximate power behind a brown bess slug(even passed a few around to look at-in little plastic baggies so they wouldn't be handling lead)-Social Studies CAN be fun.
And the poor youngins' were SO upset when they found out that Airborne and Sniper school invlove lots and lots of jogging.

I did NOT know that the elephant gun from Jumanji was actually a shot gun. Cool. That would explain why it was so frikin' huge. hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Basicly firearms and firearms ownership is a whole lot more complicated than many people relize and so many go around sounding like idiots.  If I think they have any potential I try to help them out with there understandings, if not I just say "ya" or dont say anything.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I work with alot of people who know a *little* about firearms, so I educate them as best as I can with my limited breadth of knowledge. Some, however, have magical stories to tell of firing their dad's 380 magnum pocket pistol, using a 2 liter pop bottle as a silencer.

Best line ever:
"I don't understand why you have to kill someone if you get attacked, why not just shoot their knees?"
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#42]
When engaged in these types of conversations, I usually declare to the other party that if they write a 3,000 word essay proving their facts about what they say, citing sources, I will give them $1,000.

I have yet to have anyone take me up on that offer.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Last week some guy told me his .44 Mag Win 94 shoots flat "out to 300 yards".  He also told me how well his "Beretta" Single Six shoots.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

How do people say such stupid things and expect to get away with it
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#45]
I see these people a lot. It's one thing to not know that much about guns and even quote a little inaccuracies here and there, but some of the crap spewed out as the gospel truth never ceases to amaze me. And the fact that a grown adult would believe such junk just blows my mind. I try to inform people the best I can without coming off as a know-it-all, but sometimes it's like what Strother Martin said in "Cool Hand Luke": "Some people just can't be reached."

I first heard the "file the firing pin to make it full auto" back in the 80s. The "Potato silencer" and "pop bottle silencer" legends are just classic. Television and movies have done so much to perpetuate these myths. And some of the things people suggest you do in a self-defense situation just boggles the mind. It would get you sent to prison so fast. One I have heard for years and years deals with shooting someone outside your home: "Just drag them in the house before the police arrive." Sure that'll work. They'll never notice the stream of blood leading up the steps into the house. Also "just shoot them in the leg" is about the dumbest thing I've heard.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I see these people a lot. It's one thing to not know that much about guns and even quote a little inaccuracies here and there, but some of the crap spewed out as the gospel truth never ceases to amaze me. And the fact that a grown adult would believe such junk just blows my mind. I try to inform people the best I can without coming off as a know-it-all, but sometimes it's like what Strother Martin said in "Cool Hand Luke": "Some people just can't be reached."

I first heard the "file the firing pin to make it full auto" back in the 80s. The "Potato silencer" and "pop bottle silencer" legends are just classic. Television and movies have done so much to perpetuate these myths. And some of the things people suggest you do in a self-defense situation just boggles the mind. It would get you sent to prison so fast. One I have heard for years and years deals with shooting someone outside your home: "Just drag them in the house before the police arrive." Sure that'll work. They'll never notice the stream of blood leading up the steps into the house. Also "just shoot them in the leg" is about the dumbest thing I've heard.

Not to mention that that would be considered tampering with a crime scene
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention that that would be considered tampering with a crime scene

At that point, I don't think they care that they are tampering with a crime scene.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I meet a guy at work ( he was a A/C technician) that claimed he did "special" operations for the Government in his off-duty hours.  This included Halo jumping into a Nuclear facility to check the security measures.  He says he was an EX-Seal team member and knew all there was to know about firearms & killin'.  Next day I brought a very large gun case to the job and at lunch I took him out to my truck.  I threw open the gun case to reveal an AK-47 and a M-16A1, completely field stripped.  I told him to put them together as quick as he could.  He just looked dumbfounded as he tried to jam the AK bolt carrier inside the M-16 upper.
   I let him squirm for a while, then I commenced to assemble the rifles in record time.  I told him he needed to go back to a SEAL refresher course, cause he sucked at it!  He never said a word to me again!

............hows that for a Nice Big Cup of Shut the Fuck Up!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I meet a guy at work ( he was a A/C technician) that claimed he did "special" operations for the Government in his off-duty hours.  This included Halo jumping into a Nuclear facility to check the security measures.  He says he was an EX-Seal team member and knew all there was to know about firearms & killin'.  Next day I brought a very large gun case to the job and at lunch I took him out to my truck.  I threw open the gun case to reveal an AK-47 and a M-16A1, completely field stripped.  I told him to put them together as quick as he could.  He just looked dumbfounded as he tried to jam the AK bolt carrier inside the M-16 upper.
   I let him squirm for a while, then I commenced to assemble the rifles in record time.  I told him he needed to go back to a SEAL refresher course, cause he sucked at it!  He never said a word to me again!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#50]
[quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top