Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 12:54:35 PM EDT
Anybody know where to purchase a few blocks of this stuff?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Cabelas if now offering a kit to make your own, or a pre-made two block set. The two block set is well over $100.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
$100 for 2 blocks? How much is the kit? Ive made em before for pennies on the dollar. thats rediculous.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Wet newspapers jammed into a big cardboard box always worked for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
$100 for 2 blocks? How much is the kit? Ive made em before for pennies on the dollar. thats rediculous.

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=gel+ballistics&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=gel+ballistics&noImage=0

Two for $150. I am sorry about the price.
Keep in mind that this is not normal ballistics gel, it seems to be some variant of what is commonly used. Perhaps it is more consumer friendly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
That is rediculous. $199 for the kit? I was thinkin $19.99 if even that much. You can buy the geletin at a grocery store (not the flavored jel-o stuff) and form it in a small fish tank or similar box or housing. The hardest part is getting the block out of the mold. Lord knows how many blocks I could make for $150 much less $199.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure that this type of gelatin is not the same as the jello that you can get in the store.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure Cabelas will bend yah over, and stick it where the sun never shines..
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a link...I asked that question a while back
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=430712
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys who did pennies on the dollar should share you r secrets with the wound ballistics community... youd be famous!

I bet you know how to file the firing pin on all your guns to make em full auto to huh?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that this type of gelatin is not the same as the jello that you can get in the store.

See post directly above yours. It can also be bought at a few hobby stores, I think drug stores have it too. Im not talking 'Jello' This is stuff you wouldnt want to eat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You guys who did pennies on the dollar should share you r secrets with the wound ballistics community... youd be famous!

I bet you know how to file the firing pin on all your guns to make em full auto to huh?

Its funny you should mention the filing the firing pin thing, I was talking about the idiocy of that in another post a few minutes ago. No need to get hostile, Im not trying to pass off anything 'revolutionary' here. I have simply made my own blocks many times before. Whether you choose to believe it or not is not my problem. Just try to do it yourself sometime. It might take a few tries and adjustments to get the consistency right but if you keep at it it will work. I would hate to have to try to ship my blocks to anyone, and thats probably what makes their blocks better: their more stable for shipping.

I have however used my blocks for ballistic testing before and got the same results of penetration, wound channels etc as the blocks in all the gun rags. They arent 'pretty' and can be a little messy at times but if you dont mind some trial and error then doing it yourself can save time and money.

Thats all I have to say, if anyone wants to hurl anymore insults, right up there is the IM button, use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top