Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2006 8:28:33 PM EDT
Well currently I'm looking for a 5.56 caliber semi auto rifle and found that the mini-14 ranch rifle fits this bill nicely. So please tell me if this is a good buy or not, and what the pros and cons are.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I voted yes, but only if it's a GB IMHO. Ruger used select parts and barrels and trued the action to make them more accurate.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy one! I like the new one I bought last week. Just don't expect a tack driver out of it.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I would agree with Vincent in his above post, but voted NO!
First off the mags, buying factory mags, LEO/GOV  your talking $35+ each for 20rd,
dont know about the 30rd. Most of the NON factory mags will just give you a bad
headache trying to do a fix on them to where your stuck with them and cant return them.
Unless they are untouched (not ground down)
My Mini-14 has been in the back of the safe for quite a while, I have whatever mags it came with plus a 40rd after market mag that actually works. I was offered $350 for it and declined. I should have researched ARFcom before the $535 purchase of this back of the gunsafe Mini-14. I should have saved money a little longer and bought a "REAL" 5.56/223 sooner.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't currently own any semiauto 223 rifles you should look into getting a AR first.

You might also see if you could hook up with some local shooters who have both rifles and take a test drive to see which type you prefer...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been happy with my little mini, mag prices suck but what do you do? http://xs63.xs.to/pics/06021/Rugermini14.jpg
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
IMHO non GBs just dont look right with the folding stock.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't mind owning one
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well currently I'm looking for a 5.56 caliber semi auto rifle and found that the mini-14 ranch rifle fits this bill nicely. So please tell me if this is a good buy or not, and what the pros and cons are.

Better off with a cheap/cheap build AR
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would agree with Vincent in his above post, but voted NO!
First off the mags, buying factory mags, LEO/GOV  your talking $35+ each for 20rd,
dont know about the 30rd. Most of the NON factory mags will just give you a bad
headache trying to do a fix on them to where your stuck with them and cant return them.
Unless they are untouched (not ground down)
My Mini-14 has been in the back of the safe for quite a while, I have whatever mags it came with plus a 40rd after market mag that actually works. I was offered $350 for it and declined. I should have researched ARFcom before the $535 purchase of this back of the gunsafe Mini-14. I should have saved money a little longer and bought a "REAL" 5.56/223 sooner.

The new ProMag polymer mags are excellent. And I know where to get them for around $15. And Promags also work great and are around $20 for the 30 rounders. Also, I know where I can get factory 20 rounders for $30. Goto 44magdotcom.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I voted "NO"

If you love the old "A Team" TV show (George Peppard, Mr. T, etc.) then by all means pick up a Mini-14.  If you want a reliable, ACCURATE, 5.56mm rifle then go with the AR platform.

I owned a Mini-14 for about 10 years back in the late '80s-early '90s.  Fun gun, didn't really have any problems functionally but the rifle was at best a 4-5 MOA with Winchester White Box ammo.  Traded the rifle plus cash toward a Bushmaster carbine with a 16" HB & I couldn't be happier with performance or accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
pros: reliable; traditional style

cons: hard to find decent mags (expecially hi-cap); less than the best quality (parts/etc); not as stable for optics; lacks accuracy

i'd go w/ the AR--more accessories, better quality for the $$$s, more accurate, just as reliable (if taken care of), easier to get parts
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Pros: Easy to clean.
         Minimum of small parts
         Fair accuracy, until it gets hot
         Plenty of aftermarket parts
         Available in all stainless, even the trigger group is stainless.
         Will shoot any .223 / 5.56 ammo I have used
         Very reliable

Cons: They get HOT quick
          When they get hot the groups open up to about a foot.
          The magazine problem, see the pile of mags near the barrel in pic, those don't work.
          The factory mags work the best, then the plastic mags
          Most non-factory mags will wobble in the mag well
          Even the good mags can be tough to insert

Hope this helps. I've owned one of these rifles (181 series) since I was in high school. Also I heard a rumor the new sight post makes adding a flash hider impossible, anybody know if this is true?

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I say no.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I would save up and buy an AR

-Much more accurate
-Decent magazines are much easier to come by
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would save up and buy an AR

-Much more accurate
-Decent magazines are much easier to come by

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Go ahead buy one, its not my money.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting a Mini myself right now.

I've got a couple ARs already. Seems like it might be something fun to play wiht... ATeam style

How's the overall function of the things? reliable? I'm thinking maybea good zombie gun to arm one of my reinforcments with when that time comes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#19]
and oh yea, what's GB?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Lousy mags = lousy firearm

Mine sits in the safe, a SS paperweight.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#21]
See though I don't mind one bit spending the bucks to get the factory ruger mags, so that's not really an issue to me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]
NO!!!

The crappiest AR15 is still better than the best Mini 14.  I owned 2 and really wanted to like them because I like the look.  I just never could get past the inherent inaccuracy.  Benched and scoped it didn't matter.  Minute of Pumkin if your lucky.

If you don't want an AR, get an AK in .223
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
see that's when it's fun... when you can tweek stuff and see how much better you can get it..

I figure should I be unhappy I could try to bed it first, after that if I'm still not happy ya can do the trigger, rebarrel it.

It's fun like that, or at least it's fun to me like that
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I also like the looks of the Mini. I owned one and sold it because of the accuracy issue. I still have the Ruger 20round mags I bought in 1980. My shooting buddy still has his stainless mini. The new ones are expensive. But you can play with ARs and get bored.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#25]
When i was a kid in the 80's, i was told that there is a "special" mag to make it full auto.  I was so naive
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Buy it IF:

Less than 2-5MOA groups are not important.   Most Mini-14s aren't the most accurate rifles.

Cost is a factor.  A new Mini-14 will cost less than a new AR-15.

Mini-14s are pretty reliable and definitely fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#27]
it would depend  on what they were asking for it. if over $350 walk, if under Maybe...If under $350 negotiate a lower price if possible, Mini-14's are a dime a dozen, there's no shortage of them, If you don't get this one, don't worry, another will pop up somewhere...Honestly, I think I'd save up and get a AR, but, I'm biased....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
The Mini-14 was designed by James Sullivan who was half the team that designed the AR-15.  Excellent action and maybe a $10 barrel.  To make the Mini accurate, you'll spend more than you would buying an AR-15.  Never mind all the accessories available for the AR-15.

5sub
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't buy it  I was given one as gift and will not get rid of it for that reason. However since buying an Ar a year and a half ago the mini has been a safe queen. Plus mine has a wonderful habit of ejecting a live round along with the spent case, thus making a 30 rnd mag a 15 rnd with 15 on the ground. Don't know how to explain what is happing but it is some wierd shit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a mini 14 ranch rifle a few years ago and was never happy with it.  It shot 3-4 inch or greater groups with any ammo, even with my best handloads and a scope.  And, the damn Ruger scope rings always shot loose.  What can you do with it?  Not legal to hunt with in PA.  Even if you could, not accurate enough for varmints.  What aggravates me with ruger is that they could make this an accurate gun if they wanted to.  They apparently took some steps this year with "tighter tolerances" and a desperately needed improvement to the sights.  But, what about a heavy barrel, flash suppressor, factory high cap mag, folding stock.?  They're too worried about being politically correct and making guns only for those "responible citizens", not us.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I will not buy any Ruger products until they start producing high capacity magazines for thier rifles, including the 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#32]
so what's it take to rebarrel a Mini? Are they just threaded like a normal rifle??
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#34]
what would be a good deal anyway?

Seems like they're alot more expensive than i remember?????
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I have had a mini 14 gb for about 3 years. I have used it for police work. I also have a ar15. both are fine weapons the only thing that sucks is that 20 round mags for the mini are exspensive. Both weapons are also reliable. You can buy alot of stuff for the ar. I basically try to stay away from all the gagdets though, all I have on my rifles is lights. In my opinion buy both you never know when some liberal will try to ban are firearms again. Hope this helps. JC
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#37]
if the proposed new NYS AWB passes, the mini-14 may be your best bet for a HD rifle in .223.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#38]
i have owned three diffrent mini 14's.  All were reliable, however none of them would shoot under
three to five inches with my benchrest loads.  I bought a bushmaster match and am pleased with it's groups.  I currently do not own any mini's although I do have a few mags for them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Been there, done that, so NO!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Ive had way too many problem with mini14s to reccomend one. Go buy a damn AR15.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Get one they are good reliable shooters.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Buy one. I've had one for a long time and enjoy it. To be honest, mine has been more reliable than some of the AR's I've owned over the years. I still own both and like them both though. Out of the box most AR's will be more accurate than an out of the box mini14, but that can be cured in several ways. The only weak point of the mini is not really a weak point of the rifle itself... it's the fact that others have mentioned about crappy aftermarket mags. Either stick with factory mags or use PMI (Precision) mags. I've used lots of the pmi ones and have never had a problem with any of them. Avoid USA mags and TrippleK, etc. I don't know about the ProMag ones. I see that some people like them, but I've heard of problems with them from other people, so... who knows. Seems like I heard some good stories about Masen mags, but I haven't got any myself, so I'm not sure. Anyhow, if you decide to go with an AR, it's the same deal... the magazines are the weak point. Stick with USGI AR mags. Some of the others can be okay, but you'll need to research it. Generally, USA and TrippleK suck for AR's too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I have an AR-15 and a Mini-14 and like them both. I would never part with either, but if I could only have one, it would have to be my AR-15. My Mini-14 is a 188 series stainless ranch rifle.
I would say buy it, provided you have an AR-15 or will in the future.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#44]
My brother is getting a stainless/synthetic .223 for $250.  He asked the same question.  For that price, yes.  For $400 or higher, no.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Get both!  (Stainless and blued, that is)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#46]
GB = Government Bayonet
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I own a mini-14 and an AR-15.  I bought the mini first and didn't plan on getting the AR-15 but couldn't resist.  After all is said and done, I appreciate both for their different qualities.  If you do not own a mini-14 and want to expand your collection with something new and different, get it.  Not a sniper rifle but it has never jammed in any way.  I am thinking about selling mine but I still don't know.  Part of me would really like to stick an Amega Range scout rail on it and turn it into a simple scout rifle.  I voted yes...because you can always build/buy more guns...and it's not a trash rifle by any means!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#48]
NO ive owned 3 mini 14..After all the problems with mags ive had. I spent over $30 on shipping(not mag cost) trying to find a mag that work in it.All my previous mrifles had good mags but after assult weapon ban I ve sen people $100 for factory 20rd mags.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Ive had way too many problem with mini14s to reccomend one. Go buy a damn AR15.

I've had way too many problems w/AR-15's to recommend one. Go buy a damn Mini-14.
Both have their strengths and weaknesses, pick the one that best suits your needs and budget. I've owned several Mini-14's in the past along w/AR-15's (everything from stock SP-1's to a custom XM-177E2) and while the Mini's were very disappointing in the accuracy department they were always 100% reliable (shame I can't say that about the AR's, had problems w/every single one of them). Plus, the Mini shouldered/pointed faster than anything I've ever handled. With good mags (like the new ProMag 30rd polymers for $11 at Natchez) I trust the Mini more than the AR (yes, I know there are reliable AR's out there but I've never owned one so please spare me the tirades). Check over at the PerfectUnion site posted earlier and the Mini can be made surprisingly accurate for surprisingly little. HTH & keep us posted...
Tomac
PS- I just scored a NIB stainless/synthetic Mini w/2 new 30rd Ruger LE mags & 2 new 20rd Ruger LE mags for $550 at GunsAmerica so good deals are out there if you look a bit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top