Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 7:01:59 PM EDT
trying to decide on a .308 AR type rifle.can't decide which one.i'd like a heavy 16" or 18" barrel,collapsible stock and flat top.also parts availability so i could take care of problems myself instead of having to send it back to the company for repairs.hopefully one that uses inexpensive mags.i've heard there was one using FAL mags,not sure which one that is.any suggestions ?

eta: trying to stay under $1500 including several mags and scope if that'spossible
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, since Bushmaster has dropped from the .308 AR game, your two reasonable choices are going to be ArmaLite and DPMS.

I have no expreience with the DPMS, but have owned an ArmaLite AR-10A4. I had no problems with it, and would still have it today if I hadn't needed to sell it to raise funds for another firearms project.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to stay under $1,500 ... the DPMS would be a better choice. I have friend who owns a DPMS LR .308 24" and another friend who owns a Armalite AR10.

Both are good guns, but my friend with the Armalite paid $1,600 the gun, and the other friend paid $1,100 for the DPMS.

The Armalite used modified M14 mags, and are not cheap ( however have come down in price you are looking at around 40 to 50 bucks)

The DPMS uses SR25 mags and during the AWB these mags were VERY expensive $150 bucks or more. Now the AWB is gone DPMS is selling these mags for $30 to 45. (Stay away from the DPMS plastic 10 round mags. They were junk.

If you are looking for a 16 or 18" .308 AR with a flat top and collapsibe stock check out the DPMS AP4. You can the whole gun with four way rails and BUIS for $1250 to $1350.
The Armalite will cost a lot more than that.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the replies.

i found some DPMS .308's in SGN pretty cheap. the 24" heavy SS barrel one is $875 and the M4 .308 was $1075 with railed forend ($60 extra for BUIS)(www.rguns.net) .i'm guessing M4 doesn't have chrome lined barrel,it won't be getting bump fired so maybe the barrel will last awhile.will investigate these further.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
FAL
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
FAL's are great.had a STG58 type on Imbel lower.i'm tryin to find a semi-auto rifle that shoots a lot better than 2-3" patterns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top