Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 5:19:20 PM EDT
Already have the AR and the LR Bolt gun sides covered.  Now looking to a 7.62x51 semi.
JLD-PTK91, DSARMS SR58, Springfield Arms M1A?

Had a real M-14 as a Federal Wildlife Agent. Loved it, worked great on feral dogs, cats and hogs. Impressed eough redneck poachers to where they chose to go to lockup and not the morgue.  Loved it then, like it now, but I'm not impressed with how a scope mounts.  Many scopes appear to be expensive brass deflectors. I'm sure that can be accomodated,but...

Have not had much experience with the PTK-91, though I did shoot the G-3 while in Germany.  Liked it a lot, but as a lefty, it took boths hands to do some things and I disliked the no bolt hold open last shot. Passed on a chance for a HK-91 at $300 back in 1985. Ass kicked, ass kicked...

Zero experience with FN-FAL/SR-58. Always liked the looks. Heard many good things, but never pursued buying one. Haven't handled one either (shooting wise).

Which one would you go for?  Pretend it IS your money and not mine. And please be honest.  I only have on short boots and don't want the BS to overflow into them.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Short funds go with the FAL.  More funds go with the M1A.

Max
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Short funds go with the FAL.  More funds go withmore FALs.

Max

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote for this.
www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=SA58TAC&storeid=1&image=sa58mwtact.gif
If it's your money.
Add a para stock for the cool factor.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
As a lefty also, I don't  think there's another military type rifle anywhere as ambidextrous as the M14 type. The scope mounting issue can be dealt with, just depends on how important mounting optics are to you.

The FAL is a fine choice also, and for me is a close second to my '14 clones. Controls suck for a lefty, specifically the safety. Can be fixed with an ambi selector, but other than member raf, I haven't seen anyone actually doing it.

Can't comment on the HK type as I've only briefly handled them, but I will be getting a PTR one of these days, after all I've got fifty mags for the damn thing now

ETA: Forgot to think of the various bullpups that can be made lefty friendly, thought I  better mention it before the internet snipers pick my post apart. Brain fart, my bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top