Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 11:39:39 PM EDT
I would like to get a pellet rifle for practice in my back yard as well as pest control, what size and type of gun do you sugest? Right now I am primarally interested in spring air type pellet guns, the kind you only pump once.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I would like to get a pellet rifle for practice in my back yard as well as pest control, what size and type of gun do you sugest? Right now I am primarally interested in spring air type pellet guns, the kind you only pump once.

I don't have it yet, but I'm looking at the Beeman R1 Carbine.  It's not that long for an air rifle, is quite accurate, and has plenty of power.  I'm looking at primarily for target practice at the house and small game hunting.  I don't have any problem with pests, but if I did that would be a fun way to deal with them.

Sorry that I don't have any great revelations or mounds of personal experience, but I thought that I'd pass that on as an idea.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of pests?  Birds, squirrels, racoons.....   I have an RWS 34 in 22 that is a great shooter.  I have been able to kill raccons with it as long as the shots are well placed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I think raccoons are to big for what I will primaraly be shooting, mostly squirrels and grackels (sp?).
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I did some research for something similar a few months ago, and purchased a Gamo Shadow 1000.  I'm very happy with it.  I shoot it down the halway inside my house.  Very accurate and durable with an adjustable trigger.  I paid around $120 for it at walmart.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
RWS/Mendoza Air rifles are good and on sale hereAirgun Express But the best is the RWS 48

Pricey but worth every penny.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
[quote]Quoted:
What kind of pests?  Birds, squirrels, racoons.....   I have an RWS 34 in 22 that is a great shooter.  I have been able to kill raccons with it as long as the shots are well placed.

+1.  I have had a 34 in .177 in years.  Accurate and a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Second the rws 34.  I just picked on up a week ago and love it.  Very accurate.  Only dislike is that you gotta keep it clean,  I noticed a speck of rust the other day.   Wood stock is very good lookin too.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I did some research for something similar a few months ago, and purchased a Gamo Shadow 1000.  I'm very happy with it.  I shoot it down the halway inside my house.  Very accurate and durable with an adjustable trigger.  I paid around $120 for it at walmart.  

I also got a Gamo Shadow for the same reasons. I really like the feel of the synthetic stock on it and it's lighter than the wood stocks.  At 25 yards it shoots 1/4 inch groups and 1,000 fps at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think raccoons are to big for what I will primaraly be shooting, mostly squirrels and grackels (sp?).

I also use a RWS .177 and it is great.

One word of warning though, grackles are considered migratory birds and are protected by Federal law.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also use a RWS .177 and it is great.

One word of warning though, grackles are considered migratory birds and are protected by Federal law.

Really! Dammit those things are a PITA!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Steroid Streak Benjamin/Sheridan from:

www.mac1airgun.com/

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I know that they are not a game bird, but it is my understanding that they are covered under Fed Migratory Bird regs.  Since the time I spent as a Fed Wildlife Aide (AKA a Fed Game Warden) was in the southeast and a long time agao, grackles weren't an issue that I knew about.  I believe that is also the reason that local governments, any entity or person cannot use lethal methods in trying to control them.

RE being pests, that's my thoughts also.  

ETA: URL for Fed Migratory Bird Reg, near bottom of page.
www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/intrnltr/mbta/mbtandx.html#g

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top