Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 9:17:16 PM EDT
I took out my RC K98 this afternoon.  Had numerous light primer strikes (failed detonation) using both Turkish and Yugo 8mm ammo.  

Went home and disassembled the bolt completely.  The firing pin spring feels weak.  So I plan on replacing it.  But what about the firing pin itself?  Should it be replaced as well?  I heard that a firing pin can be worn out to the point that it does not protrude far enough out from the bolt face.  How do I check if my firing pin is still OK?

thanks

Oz
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get a new striker spring. You can get a new Wolff extra power spring from Midway for $8 part # is 917-322 .

Firing pin should be ok, you can check it with the bolt disassembled by just sticking it in the bolt and turn till it goes all the way forward, if it is sticking out past 1/16" you should be good. Replacement strikers are getting hard to find thru surplus parts dealers and they are getting expensive too ...

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just get a new striker spring. You can get a new Wolff extra power spring from Midway for $8 part # is 917-322 .

Firing pin should be ok, you can check it with the bolt disassembled by just sticking it in the bolt and turn till it goes all the way forward, if it is sticking out past 1/16" you should be good. Replacement strikers are getting hard to find thru surplus parts dealers and they are getting expensive too ...

Thanks for the part number from Midway.  I am close to Midway and can pick up my order locally.  They have springs rated at 22 lbs and 24 lbs.  The product number you suggested is the 22 lbs one.  Are there benefits using the 24 lbs over the 22 lbs?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the part number from Midway.  I am close to Midway and can pick up my order locally.  They have springs rated at 22 lbs and 24 lbs.  The product number you suggested is the 22 lbs one.  Are there benefits using the 24 lbs over the 22 lbs?  

I'd like to know that on the springs also.  WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Theoretically, the heavier FP springs are used with military specification ammo because that ammo has a thicker primer cup. The lighter springs are used with commercial ammo as that ammo has a thinner, and more sensitive, primer cup. Practically, I have never noticed the difference mixing mil- spec and commercial ammo interchangibly with the lighter spring. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I used one of the heavy duty wolf ones on mine, and it works great. Heavier is better when using surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
While you're at it, check your headspace just to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
See if a really thorough cleaning helps before you start replacing parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top