Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 2:30:35 PM EDT
OK, so I am kicking around the idea of getting an AR style rifle in 308. Granted I saw a few of the KAC SR25 and the SR25K special edictions and my mouth started watering. But spending 6000 to 10K seems a bit high. The last thing I want is a safe queen that cost soo much I dont want to shoot it. So I ave looked at DPMS and they seem to have some nice stuff too.

Now, I am all about quality stuff. I hate stuff that is cheaply produced or breaks etc. If the KAC is that much better I will save my pennies but is there really that big a difference? What are some thoughts on KAC vs DPMS or others.??

Thanks for the input in advance. Nelson
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Well you are right a KAC SR25 is the top of the line .308 rifle.

That said 6,000 to 10,000 is a lot of money for a semi auto production rifle no matter how great it is.  If you were lookning at a semi auto SIG550 or FAMAS or high end Steyr AUG I can see spending that kind of money because those weapons are no longer in production or can not be imported. And anytime you are spending that kind of money it would be better to buy a tansferable machine gun than a semi auto

So that leaves the DPMS and Armalite. I do not own a .308 AR, have HK91s FALs and a Springfield M1A but no AR10.

However, I have one friend that owns a DPMS LR and another friend that owns a Armalite AR10. I have shot both and I have to say that between the two I would buy the DPMS.
It is very accurate, MOA or better with certain loads. It is also less expensive than the AR10 by a few hundred dollars, and the DPMS is based more on the Knight SR25 and uses SR25 mags. Armalite mags are expensive because they are modifed M14 mags...but they are become more affordable. DPMS mags were VERY expensive during the AWB, but now they are around $30.

DPMS also has a great customer service should there ever be a problem.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got an M1, a PTR-91, and an AR-10, all in .308.  The M1 I have just because I like them.  The PTR-91 is more accurate & more reliable than the AR-10.  The AR-10 I have because I've put enough time and money into getting it to work right that I can't afford to sell it now.  

I don't have any experience with the SR-25, all that I know first hand about that one is that it's expensive.  I've dealt with DPMS and I like their customer service very much, though I don't currently own one of their guns.  

If nothing else, for the $6000-$10,000 you could buy one each of all of them and try them out, then sell what you don't like!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
DPMS. All my Armalite owning buddies have dumped them in favor of M1a's due to reliability problems.Iv'e been closely monitoring the DPMS because even though it can never overthrow my M14 as my "go to" gun due to it's "shit where it eats"gas system and myriad small parts I nevertheless like the ergonomics of it,all reports are that it exhibits stellar accuracy, and the only issues iv'e heard of have been some with tight chambers.I think it could be a superb sniper or for someone who is more comfortable with the AR it allows them to step up to a .308 without learning a diferent weapons system.The .300 SAUM has my interest as well but i'd want to look into barrel life first.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The DPMS is a good shooting cheaply priced rifle. If you plan to leave it as is the I would go with this rifle. But if you have the slightest ideal to add after market items then I say go wti the Armalite. There are more after market items being produced for the Armalite becasue they have produced the most .308 ARs then any of the other companies, not to mention Armalite has a lifetime warranty should you have something go worng that should'nt. BTW I have two perfectly functioning AR-10s and a dozen magazines that work flawlessly!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top