Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 5:29:04 PM EDT
Today my dad showed some interested towards purchasing a gun for some varmint hunting, this is just about the first time he has ever shown interest in buying a gun...even though he was in the service for over two decades, so I am jumping on this chance to get him more interested so we can share this hobby.

What kind of bolt action packs some punch for only  $200-300? A .17 or .22 isn't going to cut it, I was thinking a .223 bolt gun would be pretty sweet. I cant think of other calibers that arent too big or too small. Please give me any and all suggestions, within a reasonable price range, I might try to get this for him on a birthday

edit: How does a mini 14 stand up for the task of varmint shooting? scoped or not...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on what you're doing and your range:

.22LR
.22 Hornet
.17HMR
.22-250

.223 with 45 grain Whinchester Varmint rounds would be good. A bit loud, but good.

.22-250s are great. Ammo's a bit spendy but they are REAL flat.

There's the .204 Ruger stuff, but it's still to be seen if it will remain a "wildcat" round.

But, the price range you're talking about is going to be tough. For .223/.22-250 sized action from Savage (12) or CZ (527), you're looking at $450-$550 new.

Here's a used one: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=315183.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
CZ's 17 HMR varmiter in either the american or varmit model which I have gotten for 320 bucks, was a great buy and shoots the lights out from 150 yards max, also, the trigger is way better then any ruger 17 which is 500+ bucks...

The CZ line of centerfires, which I do not own any of but am considering, are very well priced as well, and would say this, if there like the 17 MHR rimfire i own, they wont disappoint!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Today my dad showed some interested towards purchasing a gun for some varmint hunting, this is just about the first time he has ever shown interest in buying a gun...even though he was in the service for over two decades, so I am jumping on this chance to get him more interested so we can share this hobby.

What kind of bolt action packs some punch for only  $200-300? A .17 or .22 isn't going to cut it, I was thinking a .223 bolt gun would be pretty sweet. I cant think of other calibers that arent too big or too small. Please give me any and all suggestions, within a reasonable price range, I might try to get this for him on a birthday

edit: How does a mini 14 stand up for the task of varmint shooting? scoped or not...

The Mini is ok for closer shots, but you should stick with a bolt gun if you really want accuracy.

Take a look at the Savage line of varmit rifles.

One of these is on my "need to get" list.

www.gunblast.com/Savage_Model40.htm

www.savagearms.com/40Varmint.htm
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally  iif  you don't  mind the  single shot.    I would get him  a  H&R  in a .223

HR
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Best gun for the $$$ is a Savage, I would get .223 so I could "play" with mil-surp too.    
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
.223 for sure. He can get cheap ammo just to play with and buy WWB 45 gr. hollow points for the real thing.
Some of that .17hmr. is as much as .223

I would not get a mini14. accuracy is very important, he may get frustrated with it quick if you use it at the range much. The barrels are just so thin they really heat up quick and start spraying bullets around.A good friend of mine had one when we were younger, it was never better than minute of  trash lid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top