Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 1:49:18 PM EDT
While I'm sure every one of us would love to have a walk-in gun safe (fully stocked of course), not everyone is so fortunate.

Without getting into a discussion of safes vs. cabinets, I'd like to figure out first what size I need. At the end of the day, looking two years out, this is what I currently and plan to have in the future:

- 7 "combat" pistol gripped rifles similar to ARs and AKs. 3-5 will have scopes/optics on top.
- 3 Mauser carbines iron sighted.
- 1 10/22
- 5-6 regular sized pistols (not the hunting caliber or large target sized)

So technically, that's 11 rifles and 6 handguns. I'm assuming a "14-gun" safe isn't going to work?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever you get make sure it is at least twice as big as you think you need. That way you have an excuse to fill it later.

Also remember that a 14 gun safe will probably hold 14 NON scoped, NON pistol-grip rifles. If the guns have scopes, pistol grips, larger/longer bolt handes or anything else like that it will hold less.

Basically get the biggest and best you can afford and fit into the space you are considering puting it. Oh yeah, and stay away from electronic locks, they are nothing but trouble.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO you should buy the largest quality safe you can afford/have room for.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone post wishing they had a smaller safe.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm assuming a "14-gun" safe isn't going to work?

You are correct sir!  I'd say something like a 20 gun safe would be more like it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a safe that had a little extra room in it.  Bad idea.  The next one will be at least double the size of the old one.  Its not just guns.  We store family photos, important doc`s etc in ours. Laptops, cameras & jewelry will all probably end up in the safe at one time or another.  Think big, buy big.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Also AR-15's don't fit well inside safes. They don't get along well with others.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also AR-15's don't fit well inside safes. They don't get along well with others.

M4-AK

LOL. Mauser vs. AR civil war?

Thanks for the inputs guys.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
As prev. posted (dupe?)  figure your storage needs and multiply times 2.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The pistol grips and optics are what will get you... they cause the long guns to stack very inefficiently in the racks. IMHO, this is the minimum size you need (about 24"x36"x60"):

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
NoAim,

Hey!  Here is a good thread on safes that was well discussed.  Also, if you will do a search on safes, there is quite a bit of information on them.

Once you decide and such, please post, as I am still researching mine!

G'luck!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
NoAim,

Hey!  Here is a good thread on safes that was well discussed.  Also, if you will do a search on safes, there is quite a bit of information on them.

Once you decide and such, please post, as I am still researching mine!

G'luck!

Gracias sir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top