Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2005 8:50:10 PM EDT
Who here has experience with Arizona Expertarms as builders?

I have occasionally looked at their site over the past few years, and have considered using them as a builder, particularly with a FAL build in mind, but I have never heard anything regarding the quality of work other than from their own site.

Are they good to go or should I run away?

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to go.  You will not be disapointed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't used him, but I've heard nothing but good about  him.

I was going to have him work up a Yugo M70B for me but the kit I got from Centerfire isn't worth using on a professional build.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Derek is a great builder and a great guy in general.

He is not one of these fly-by-night garage builders who will go under in 2 months.

Deal with confidence.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a FAL carbine done by him some years ago. It was top notch. Don't hesitate to use Derek.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used him and his work is outstanding.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never availed Derek's services, but I believe him to be one of the better FAL 'smiths available - go to him with confidence....

- georgestrings

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
He's workin on my micro galil at the moment, I expect great things!  Great guy to deal with, go for it.  He's been fantastic throughout the process.  Wish ATF would find my form1....  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Great FAL builder. He built my Izzy clone and did a first rate job. I only wish he was closer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Azex built my FAL. I think he did a great job, though I haven't fired the rifle yet. I sent him a  grubby grade 3 Imbel kit and wound up with a rifle that looks new.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Derek is a quality nut.  I have seen him redo a gun that had a finish difference between the upper and lower that I could not discerne visibly.  He works VERY hard at turning out functionally and cosmetically excellent firearms.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
He builds very nice FAL's     It took him a while to complete because of the ban expiration backlog.

Highly recommend him. Just don't be in a big hurry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree, don't be in a hurry. That said, I have seen three FALs built by him a few years back on excellent STG-58 kits. I saw a friend scope each of them (DSA mount ) and shoot MOA or less ( Hirtenberg ) with each. Barrel timing was dead on. Fit and Parkote finish was excellent.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Derek has built two FALs and an AR for me.  He is great to deal with.  I would recommend him highly!

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an AZEX built Izzy carbine.

Quality build. Almost too pretty to shoot.

Accurate from the first shot fired.

I highly recommend AZEX.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I just hung out at his shop yesterday for a couple hours, great stuff, his post sample stuff is freaking wild.  he's got a great staff that loves what they do.  and his 100% guarantee on his builds is a great perk as well.  he had a number of G3 and FAL rifles being built, even an ORF galil being rebuilt so that it would actually work(sort of a shame that Derek had to work on it, being a brand new rifle....).  and for anyone wanting to get a G3 built, this guy is a welding GOD, wow I wish I could weld half as well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:57:42 AM EDT
[#18]
That's it dammit, I'm getting a FAL done.

Now, I intend to use an Imbel kit, and perhaps a DSA upper, as I haven't seen Imbel receivers around in a while.  Are these still available anywhere?

Also, my next question is compliance parts.  I want to keep the original furniture, unless somebody has good tips on replacement furniture that is just as solid as the original stuff.
Any recommendations on fire control parts, or any other trial and error tips for this build?

I was thinking of a DSA semi selector as one of the parts.

I really would like to get this right the first time (don't we all), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Hammer Trigger Sear gets you three, Gas pistion gets you four.  The furniture is perhaps the easiest to swap out as I rather like the new US furniture better but that's just my opinion.  You will need seven US parts if you have a threaded barrel.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Hey guys how about some pics?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I have to add my comment here. He refinished a handgun for me and it is TOP NOTCH. The guy is a a stickler on perfection so you will not be disappointed with any firearm you have him build/refinish.
A great guy to work with also. I highly recommend him for any job you want on any firearm.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hey guys how about some pics?

My pleasure.  Derek built this Para for me.  A fine FAL if I muyst say so myself....and I must!

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Derek also built this one for me using Iron Wood stocks.  He did all the refinishing as well.  A great looking rifle!

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hammer Trigger Sear gets you three, Gas pistion gets you four.  The furniture is perhaps the easiest to swap out as I rather like the new US furniture better but that's just my opinion.  You will need seven US parts if you have a threaded barrel.

Regards,
Gary

Personally, I prefer Imbel hanguards over all others - IMO, they offer the best compromise between protection from barrel heat, and durability... I also prefer to keep the FCG parts, because they typically clean up to provide a nice trigger pull... For 922 compliance, I usually go with:

upper receiver
buttstock
pistol grip
muzzle device
mag follower
mag floorplate

and either gas piston or charging handle, depending on the deal that comes up at the time...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Here are my two AZEX built FALs, Derek is the best damn smith you can find.
Of course I am rather biased.

A better picture of my first one:

And some of his other builds (post samples):
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Gunslinger:
did he do any engraving on the MP5? Do you have a pic of that? Are you happy with the MP5 build?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Gunslinger:
did he do any engraving on the MP5? Do you have a pic of that? Are you happy with the MP5 build?
Thanks.

He started with a special weapons reciever, and after much cussing and bleeding got it to work, the rest of the weapon including the lower group are all H&K,
At the time he didn't do his own engraving so it wouldn't do any good to show that.
It now runs like a champ, and as you can see it's one of my wife's favorites:

With side folding stock

The reciever on the Krink was engraved and indexed for proper look (including lowered safety stop).
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#28]
All the AzEx guns I've seen have run like champs and looked good. Plus, he's not a dweeb like that other guy in Arizona.

I wouldn't hire him to teach a children's diversity class or anything like that though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I wouldn't hire him to teach a children's diversity class or anything like that though.

... Pussy

... Derek's output and work ethic is top-notch. You'd be hard pressed to find a better place anywhere in the country to get quality work accomplished.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#30]

I wouldn't hire him to teach a children's diversity class or anything like that though

Your right, if you want your kids to grow up politicaly correct keep them away from Derek!
Now if you want someone that will tell you the way it is ( rated MA-17), he's your man.
Just like all artist, he can be difficult if you just want to take up his time with BS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top