Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2005 2:28:50 PM EDT
Ok, guys here is a question...

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 9mm vs SW760 (semi-auto copy of a S&W 760)

Which of these would you buy? I don’t really care about magazine compatibility with a handgun, I am just looking for a fun to shoot carbine in 9mm. I like the classic subgun look of the SW760 but have heard not so good thing about the manufacturer. I have also heard of guys having problems with Kel-Tecs too so it seems like the lesser of two evils here.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
There's always the choice of the Cx4 by Beretta, I've heard good things about it.www.cx4storm.com
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok, guys here is a question...

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 9mm vs SW760 (semi-auto copy of a S&W 760)

Which of these would you buy? I don’t really care about magazine compatibility with a handgun, I am just looking for a fun to shoot carbine in 9mm. I like the classic subgun look of the SW760 but have heard not so good thing about the manufacturer. I have also heard of guys having problems with Kel-Tecs too so it seems like the lesser of two evils here.

Ive only know of ONE SW760 that is functional

Id go for the Kel-Tec Sub2000 that takes glock mags
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up my OD green GLOCK model Sub2000 this afternoon. So far I really like it. It is extremely light and compact and when folded fits under a jacket or in a standard size briefcase. I really love the fact that I can use all of my 17, 19, and 33 round GLOCK mags with it.

To me, the pistol caliber carbine really comes into its own with the Sub2000. IMO, they should be small, light, and compact. A pistol caliber weapon the size of a rifle doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The folding feature is a bonus.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I think i would go with the KelTec.  The folding feature is spiffy.  I am debating between one and a 9mm kit for the AR.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a shame that the SW760 is so bad, it really LOOKS like a classic subgun.  One question, has anyone made a semi-sten, or a kit to build one fairly easily. I am fairly proficient but do not have machine shop, just a drill press, dremel and hand tools.

All of the receiver kits I have seen for any subguns are all tube blanks that you would need a shop to assemble.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One question, has anyone made a semi-sten, or a kit to build one fairly easily. I am fairly proficient but do not have machine shop, just a drill press, dremel and hand tools.

All of the receiver kits I have seen for any subguns are all tube blanks that you would need a shop to assemble.

stenguns.tripod.com/bsa3.html

Most of this guy's stuff is listed as "SOLD OUT" but promises shipping 01/06...

www.semiautosten.com/kits/kits.html

And here's a Yahoo group about it:

sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/STENS/
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a little advice: stay away from wanna-be semi auto submachine guns.  You might overlook the oddly long barrel and decide they look "cool" but as far as a functioning firearm, stick with something that is made in semi to start with.

The Kel-Tec is dependable, sturdy, accurate enough and takes inexpensive G18 magazines.  It beats the pants off the other options mentioned in this thread.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:38:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the full auto SW760 by the same maker and it has so many bad points from wobbly stock to pain in the ass safety/selector location, typical SMG sights...its the same for the semi auto(crappy), mags that wiggle in the mag well....and oh yea bad reliability(I spent a year transfering the gun back/forth to the factory for repair) and it was still a jamomatic when they declared it fixed.....dont walk away from this, one run!

pick the kel -tec of the two or get a ruger PS9 or a Beretta storm..No sw760
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had the full auto SW760 by the same maker and it has so many bad points from wobbly stock to pain in the ass safety/selector location, typical SMG sights...its the same for the semi auto(crappy), mags that wiggle in the mag well....and oh yea bad reliability(I spent a year transfering the gun back/forth to the factory for repair) and it was still a jamomatic when they declared it fixed.....dont walk away from this, one run!

pick the kel -tec of the two or get a ruger PS9 or a Beretta storm..No sw760

was looking at a SW760 at a local phunshop and the bolt that they had 'tack welded' on for the top pivot point broke off when the clerk put it back on the rack. Inspection afterwards showed that they had brazed(as in melting brass) the bolt head on.

wganz

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got out of my SW760. It was accurate but I thought the trigger was bad, and the missfeeds started after 200+ rounds. Note I was using self fitted Sumoi mags.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The SW760, or any semi auto clones of SMG's of this generation, are poor defensive weapons.
These weapons are poorly made, which translates into inferior accuracy and they are almost exclusively equipped with crude sights. This is of little consequence with an automatic SMG as they are capable of creating a pattern of bullets which cancels out poor accuracy with singular shots. Since the SW760 doesn't have a giggle switch, it has all of the handicaps of the original weapon, without the ability to spray bullets to compensate for inferior accuracy. The S&W 76 was a cheaply made, albeit reliable and effective SMG, its no suprise that a copy made by a fly-by-night outfit would suck. There are much better 9mm carbines to be had today, which is why the Navy has discarded the S&W 76 and other countires have discarded its contemporaries. I don't prefer the Kel Tec, though its a decent weapon.

I would reccomend a 9mm AR or Beretta Storm. I particularly like the Olympic 9mm AR which takes Glock magazines. 33 round G18 magazines are reliable, availible and affordible. Any other 9mm AR would also be an excellent choice, but the Olympic using G18 mags would be the best value. The Beretta Storm is also an excellent choice. Magazines are everywhere and reasonably priced and the weapon is reliable and accurate. The price is also very reasonable when compared to other 9mm carbines. I would also suggest a Vector Uzi. Uzi magazines are everywhere and affordible as are parts/kits. The weapon is extremely reliable and of all the SMG's of this

generation, its probably the best. Accuracy of a good Uzi carbine is quite acceptible. Even if you can get a SW760 that works, true S&W magazines are pricey*though there are ways around this*, the folding stock is flimsy and accuracy is abhorent. It would be fun to spray bullets everywhere, if you could get it running, but a Mac11 makes a better bullet hose..... My .02 would be to avoid the SW760 and the Kel Tec and buy a Oly 9mm. If you want a more traditional SMG, the Vector Uzi would be an excellent choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top