Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 5:01:19 PM EDT
I need ideas on what to check on my SKS, after firing 2 or 3 shots it starts stove piping, with the bullet tip up, dosen't happen with the 5 round mag. but all others though.  any ideas or suggestions welcome.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you using the fixed mag that came with the rifle or aftermarket duck-bill ones? If you are using the aftermarket mags it is likely those are the problem.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:31:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The mag that should have come with your SKS is a 10 round mag.

Unless it is a model D or M.  

But I agree also that if you're not using the original 10 rnd magazine then that is your problem.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you using the fixed mag that came with the rifle or aftermarket duck-bill ones? If you are using the aftermarket mags it is likely those are the problem.

+1

If a SKS has a problem it's the after market mag.  Put the original fixed 10rnd back in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Listen to this advice.If you have a rifle that is supposed to use the 10rnd fixed mag,about 99%of the sks rifles out there,using an aftermarket mag will be nothing but a headache.If you have a model that takes ak mags,you may have a bad mag.IIRC,the lower cap ak mags are crap,the milspec 30rnd mags are good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info. btw my sks came with a 5  round duckbill mag and i don't have a problem with it, also never had a problem with my  high caps until i started using silver bear zinc plated ammo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Although the correct number of parts is getting more available all the time.You can get a US made piston and op rod from tapco,with a US made stock and your duckbill mags,I think you may just need one more part.A US made flashider may do it.I think with all the sks rifles floating around this country and all the other accesories made,I dont understand why someone dosnt step up and make a decent trigger assembly,or even just a hammer and sear
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top