Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2005 7:33:10 PM EDT
I am toying with idea of a 9mm carbine.

While an AR would be the best choice, I don't have the extra grand just laying around. I like the Kel-tec since it will use Glock 18 mags, but I'm a little skeptic on overall quality and reliabilty of this gun.

Anyone have any experience with these positive or negative?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one... check with okguy91... he has it now
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one. I have not had any problems with it as far as function, reliability, and accuracy.
But I may sell it to fund other projects.
The only two things that I don't like about it is that it doesn't hold the bolt open after the last shot and it looks a little cheap, kind of like a toy. I also have a Kel-Tec P-11 and it is fine too.
Hope this helps.
Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have one. I have not had any problems with it as far as function, reliability, and accuracy.

+1

Last time I took it to the range, I went through
six 33rd mags without a hitch. Some rapid fire,
some slow fire. Very accurate at 50 yrds and
better than minute-of-man at 100yds.

eta: Better yet, it eats any 9mm I throw at it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]

eta: Better yet, it eats any 9mm I throw at it.

Does this include CCI Blazer? The website states not to use aluminum cased ammo due to feed problems. This is by far my favorite practice ammo because Academy practically gives it away.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like mine.  I can shoot quarters at 100 yards using the factory sights.  I tossed a few accessories on there.  I remember buying it originally because I owned a Glock 17 and I wanted to share the mags.  It's proven itself an excellent shooter in my book, plus....it folds in half.  How can you NOT like that for a $300 gun?!?  Excellent little 9mm carbine.  However, I don't beat it with sledgehammers or throw it into walls like some other people.....so I can't account for it's overall durability.  But if I had to shoot something with it, I could...and I could do it well.  Kel Tec made themselves a fine budget minded carbine.

I give my Sub 2000 two thumbs up.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went through six 33rd mags without a hitch.

What brand was the 33rd mag? Glock or Scherer?
I heard that the Glock is the only one that will function properly in it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I really like mine.  I can shoot quarters at 100 yards using the factory sights.  I tossed a few accessories on there.  I remember buying it originally because I owned a Glock 17 and I wanted to share the mags.  It's proven itself an excellent shooter in my book, plus....it folds in half.  How can you NOT like that for a $300 gun?!?  Excellent little 9mm carbine.  However, I don't beat it with sledgehammers or throw it into walls like some other people.....so I can't account for it's overall durability.  But if I had to shoot something with it, I could...and I could do it well.  Kel Tec made themselves a fine budget minded carbine.

What kind of acces? Is there a way to put a rail on one??
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of acces? Is there a way to put a rail on one??

Yep, I'll take a picture of mine and try to get it online tonight.  I love my set up.  Stand by, might take me a couple hours (have to also put my daughter to bed)
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Probably my favorite accessory on that gun is the plastic cover that goes over the buffer tube.  What a difference that makes on hot/cold days!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Hokie, where did you get your mods? That buffer tube cover is cool.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Kel-tec also sells a spring loaded scope mount fo a cool portable optic:

A relative of mine wants the SUB 2000 and I think I may get it for him for Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Hokie:

You shoot quarters at 100 yd?  With your Sub2K?  Pardon me for being a little skeptical as I cannot even see a quarter at 100yd, let alone ping it with a 9mm carbine.

I like my Sub2K.  It has the SW59 grip and functions even with the crappiest of USA mags.

I does have a bit of a cheap feel, though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:00:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hokie:

You shoot quarters at 100 yd?  With your Sub2K?  Pardon me for being a little skeptical as I cannot even see a quarter at 100yd, let alone ping it with a 9mm carbine.

I like my Sub2K.  It has the SW59 grip and functions even with the crappiest of USA mags.

I does have a bit of a cheap feel, though.

Edited for the ueber skeptical.....I can shoot quarter-size groups with Kel-Tec Sub 2000 at 100 yards on a paper target, using 9mm Federal 124 grain FMJ American Eagle Ammo (Boxer Primed, Non Corrosive)seated at a bench, during a warm, mildly humid August summer day, with a slight wind blowing in from the southeast.  

I was wearing a blue t-shirt with khaki shorts and sneakers.  Pretty respectable performance for a budget minded 9mm carbine.  I was pretty into the moment as I just finished a large Dunkin Donuts Iced Coffee.  I'm also a pretty practiced shot.  You have to be considered the Kel-Tec's trigger....

my only complaint about the firearm.  It sucks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Ah... I don't recall what I was wearing the last time I took my Kel Tec to the range, but it certainly was fun.  I think this is an excellent value for the money and although the little weapon does have an appearance just this side of squirt gun styling, it functions fine and is accurate enough for my purposes.  The fact it folds and takes Glock magazines is truly icing on the cake.  My only objection is that of trying to keep my head on the stock means a small corner of the buttplate is on my shoulder and is not as comfortable as I'd like.  Otherwise, no owner of a 9mm Glock pistol should be without one.

I have said this before, but I am afraid the Sub 2000 is as close to a 9mm Glock carbine as we will ever get.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:15:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Otherwise, no owner of a 9mm Glock pistol should be without one.

I agree!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I do not have one but i have heard good things. I have been toying around with the idea of getting one for some time now and am even more interested after seeing the pics.

the only thing i would say is consider the beretta storm also. a bit more noney but a good gun if you can aford it. easly upgraded to. good luck with whatever you get.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I am also looking at these as a way to get into local 3-gun matches (pistol, shotgun and pistol-caliber carbine). I'm looking to get one in .40 S&W to match my glock 22.   Is there anyone who has shot theirs a lot? I'm wondering about long-term durability.   I'm not going to be hard on it other than shooting it a lot and maybe carrying it in a backpack when camping.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I do not have one but i have heard good things. I have been toying around with the idea of getting one for some time now and am even more interested after seeing the pics.

the only thing i would say is consider the beretta storm also. a bit more noney but a good gun if you can aford it. easly upgraded to. good luck with whatever you get.

The downside to the Beretta Storm is magazines. You are limited to 15 rounders or factory 20 rounders which are pricey.

The main appeal of the Kel-Tec (IMHO) is the availibility of Glock 33 rnd mags.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I own one and I am rather fond of it.  I have had a few issues with it though.  I tried some Bull Sh*t 33 rnd mags for it from Sportsmans Guide.  They really screwed up the mag release - on both my and my brothers gun.  Kel-Tec fixed it on both our rifles without question - even after I told them it was caused by bad mags and I was willing to pay in full.  They did not charge me and sent both of them back to me promptly and in working order.

My only other issue that I fault the gun with is that I have to be careful how I hold the rifle when I shoot it - I'm a lefty and sometimes some hot gasses/unburnt powder blows back at my cheek if I hold the weapon across my body instead of 90 degrees straight out from my shoulder.  If I were right handed it wouldn't be a problem.

Other than that, the rifle has been reliable and accurate.  Recoil is mild, and it is surprisingly quiet.  I screwed up the inside of my barrel with a bad cleaning rod - my fault and now there are several gouges on the inside of the barrel.  I haven't shot it much since to see just how much I messed it up and any accuracy it used to have.  As long as it's minute of pie plate at 100 yards I'll still be happy with it - I figure that's about the max effective range of a 9mm anyhow.  I also like that 9mm costs a little bit less than .40 (which IIRC it is also available in).  As for shooting aluminum cased Blazer through it, I have several boxes through it without a problem.  YMMV.

Over all, I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone looking for a compact, reliable carbine firing a pistol round.  

-K
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#22]

I'm still waiting on a GLOCK carbine..................................................................

Link Posted: 10/23/2005 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I am considering buying a Sub2000 as well. I always carry a G19 and have tons of mags and ammo. It would be nice to be able to keep a carbine and a few loaded mags in a brief case in my car.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I love mine. In my mind its the ultimate 9mm carbine. Cheap, simple, accurate, and with hi cap mags.

Others may buy $600+ pistol caliber long guns, but I just can't justify it. Not when I can get a rifle for that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I have said this before and will say this many times again. They need these things in 357sig. I would also like to see a threaded barrel on one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hokie, where did you get your mods? That buffer tube cover is cool.

Darkstar,

We make the tube cover and an enhanced charging handle for the SUB's.
KELTEC ACCESSORIES FROM BLUE FORCE GEAR

[email protected]
www.blueforcegear.com
One point? Two Point? Three Point?
SOC-C Sling™ does them all!
Patent Pending

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag, I want one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#29]
My dad has one and I am thinking of picking one up

Not to hijack  this but the one my dad has is the defult glock mag config dose anyone know if you can change that without a new recv. I know he was hopping to change it out to take sig mags he has a p226 and has alot of hi cap mag for it  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine will be here tomorrow. It is an OD green GLOCK mag model.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Sweet. I have not seen the OD models.

I will have to start looking.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet. I have not seen the OD models.

I will have to start looking.

A couple of pics.

Now, if I could only figure out how to move the front sight back so I could use  suppressor on this thing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Now, if I could only figure out how to move the front sight back so I could use  suppressor on this thing.[>:/]

+1000!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Triburst, where did you get that?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#35]
i made a buffer tube cover out of black uber tactical heater and some blackwater tac zipties. and a sling out of a canvas belt, a spare mag holder out of some wide elastic with velcro tabs on the ends and the serious mall ninja cover for the bolt handle is get this a rubber cap for the suction line of a central air conditioner compressor. i'm poor but handy oh yeah the atn ultra sight is mounted on a marlin 336 weaver rail that i made a block and mount to mount the rail to.....oh well i got 9.00 bucks in all the accesories cept for the reddot it was 40.00bucks on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Im seriously considering one of these with some $ I got for Christmas.  Leaning towards the .40 Glock one...anything against getting one in .40/Glock?  Just dont see too many thought I'd ask, maybe theres something I dont know about.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Triburst, where did you get that?

From another board member in the EE.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Im seriously considering one of these with some $ I got for Christmas.  Leaning towards the .40 Glock one...anything against getting one in .40/Glock?  Just dont see too many thought I'd ask, maybe theres something I dont know about.

You can't use 33 round mags w/the .40 like you can the 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Man I wish they would make one in .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can use Scherer 29 rd .40 mags.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Im good with the 15 rounders. (Are the Scherer 29's any good?) Anything else I should know? (I like to do research before I buy :D)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I like mine pretty good.  The trigger is shitty, it is heavy and made of plastic.  Flexes slightly and kinda  feels like it's gonna break off.  I would be happier if there was a bold hold open when the mag is empty.  But, for the money it is a useful carbine.  And, it folds small.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Went to the local shop today.  They had 2 in stock. 1 OD model in 9mm/Glock, 1 Black in .40/Glock.  $385 for either one.  No, I didnt buy one today, but Ill post updates on what happens.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#44]
That's too high.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:17:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Ah-hu.  This is from the same shop that charges $45 for a transfer.  Like I said Ill shop around and see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Im good with the 15 rounders. (Are the Scherer 29's any good?) Anything else I should know? (I like to do research before I buy :D)

I have heard nothing but bad things about the 29rnds by Sherer. Lots of FTF problems. I picked up three more 15 rnd Glock mags instead. These little carbines are a kick in the pants. I got mine (.40 Glock) a week ago and it eats everything I throw into it; 165 to 180 HP and FMJ. Very reliable at 300+ rounds thus far. I have only shot up to 50 yards and found it to be quite accurate. From bench 1" groups and 6" from upright free stance...the large group is just me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Now, if I could only figure out how to move the front sight back so I could use  suppressor on this thing.

You have to chop it off its collar. It's plastic and there is a metal ribbed collar on the barrel to keep it secure.

I found dipping it in boiling water then shaving it with a utility knife to work well when I replaced the sight with BFG's front sight.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can use Scherer 29 rd .40 mags.  

FWIW, my 9mm Sub2000 runs 100% with OEM GLOCK mags, but won't feed properly with Scherer mags.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to chop it off its collar. It's plastic and there is a metal ribbed collar on the barrel to keep it secure.

I found dipping it in boiling water then shaving it with a utility knife to work well when I replaced the sight with BFG's front sight.

BFG no lobger makes the replacement front sight.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Ok, no Scherer.  I figured, most knock-off brand mags are shit, this is apparently no exception.  Anyways, Ive never been a fan of a abnormaly-long mag sticking out of my grip anyways.  I plan on using this as a trunk gun.  I figure if Im in a situation where 15 .40 rounds isnt enough and I dont have 4 second to put in another mag, Im screwed anyways.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top