Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 3:34:04 PM EDT
Hey guys, this may be a noobie question.  But I was at the range yesterday and was talking to an older man who saw that I was using Wolf brand ammo.  He informed me that Wolf and some other military ammo have a salt substance in them and I must clean the inside of the barrel with windex. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before.  thanks

pete
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
He probably thought that you were shooting "corrosive" ammo. I have never heard of any Wolf ammo being corrosive. Wolf is a little bit dirty, but just clean your gun as you would normally do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the quick reply.  that makes me feel much better.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
One caution I urge about Wolf is their steel cases. Steel is less than perfect on extractors & chambers. My guns are worth more than the few pennies I save on buying Wolf over mil-surp 5.56 ammo, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
One caution I urge about Wolf is their steel cases. Steel is less than perfect on extractors & chambers. My guns are worth more than the few pennies I save on buying Wolf over mil-surp 5.56 ammo, IMO.

My .o2

wow..thanks man.  I never would have thought twice about the steel case.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .o2

wow..thanks man.  I never would have thought twice about the steel case.  

You don't have to worry about the steel cases. They are a mild steel and are not anywhere near as hard as the steel in your chamber or your extractor. At least the thousands of rounds I've fired haven't damaged any of my firearms.

i was told by the guys at ruger that i should never use steel cased ammo in my p95.  i then spoke with a friend who was in the metalurgy field and she told me that 2 like metals impacting each other with no lubrication is very dangerous.  thats even if one is "milder" than the other.  

if you are shooting an ak type rifle then you are ok with using wolf of bear brand ammo.  those rifles are made to use steel cased ammo.  or at least they tolerate it infinitely better than most anything made in the west.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
the way i heard it was that the ak was made with the state of the soviet ammo industry in mind.  therefore it had to tolerate the ammo they made--steel cased.  thats not the case for nato military weapons.  the internal parts of a gun don't develop the amount of friction and heat that occur in the chamber of the gun.  therefore they are subject to different stresses.  my metalurgist friend likened it to a car engine.  think of the cartridge and the chamber as the piston and engine block--the softer metal acts almost as the oil does.

and as far as the steel in an ak vs an american made gun that could just be a matter of different strengths.  i can't comment on that with any knowledge.  

this is just what i have been told by people more knowledgable than myself.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
the way i heard it was that the ak was made with the state of the soviet ammo industry in mind.  therefore it had to tolerate the ammo they made--steel cased.  thats not the case for nato military weapons.  the internal parts of a gun don't develop the amount of friction and heat that occur in the chamber of the gun.  therefore they are subject to different stresses.  my metalurgist friend likened it to a car engine.  think of the cartridge and the chamber as the piston and engine block--the softer metal acts almost as the oil does.

and as far as the steel in an ak vs an american made gun that could just be a matter of different strengths.  i can't comment on that with any knowledge.  

this is just what i have been told by people more knowledgable than myself.

Makes sense to me. Ever wonder why no US company makes steel cased ammo?????? I use Wolf in my Commie guns only. Everything else gets brass cased ammo. Wolf is good for plinking or blasting. The quality doesn't hold up to brass cased ammo IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top