Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 7:39:29 AM EDT
I know I've seen this topic around before, but I couldn't find it for some strange reason.  My question, is, why do people say that .308 is more "inherently accurate" than 30-06?  I don't personally believe in this "inherent accuracy".  I believe that a quality barrel teamed with a well made cartridge will yield accuracy that, under the same conditions, is equal in both .308 and '06.  What say you?  MJD
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Everyone knows that if you take a 308 and a 30-06 and hit the primer with a nail, the 308 will group better since it is more inherently accurate!  

I think there is no such thing as "inherent" accuracy in a cartridge.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Part of the accuracy equation is a shorter powder column. And this is what the .308 has over the .30-06.

A shorter powder column ignites more uniformly than a longer, skinnier column.

That is why the .222 Remington, which was the king of the benchrest circles in the 50's, loses out to the .22 PPC 40 - 50 yrs later.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Can’t we remedy that by not using crappy powder? Like with wolf ammo I can see a wall of grey in front me for a second when shooting that stuff.

As apposed to a good varmint round
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Part of the accuracy equation is a shorter powder column. And this is what the .308 has over the .30-06.

That is why the .222 Remington, which was the king of the benchrest circles in the 50's, loses out to the .22 PPC 40 - 50 yrs later.

I can see how that could potentially change accuracy.  Would using a benchrest type primer (or magnum primer if the load allows it) help deliver better ignition?  That might be a question for the reloading forum.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:13:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AccuracyFacts.asp

That's all well and good, but it refers a lot to events in the '60s.  As we've seen, a lot has changed since then.  We have more modern powders with different burning rates and formulations to improve accuracy.  This is hard to be believed, "...the most accurate rifles using it would shoot groups at 200 yards of about 2 inches..."  My hunting rifle loaded with a 168 gr. matchking and Varget powder does better than that and it's a bone stock Browning.  Still not convinced.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Also a part of the difference is between short action and long action - with short actions said to be slightly more "rigid", and thus lending themselves to better accuracy... In my experience, .308 *might* have an accuracy advantage over .30-06, but it's SO tiny that most shooters will never see it...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Also a part of the difference is between short action and long action - with short actions said to be slightly more "rigid", and thus lending themselves to better accuracy... In my experience, .308 *might* have an accuracy advantage over .30-06, but it's SO tiny that most shooters will never see it...

- georgestrings

Exactly!  With quality ammunition and a good barrel, most rifles will outdo most shooters anyway.  Glad somebody brought that up.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#9]
As my custom 700 30-06 slings the same exact 175grn SMK most long range 308 shooters are pitching I don't know how anyone can say there's any accuracy difference between this 30 caliber round.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top