Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 4:39:52 PM EDT
Hey, I've been thinking about a SHTF rifle.  I was thinking it would be for my wife but I might end up using it (heh heh ).  

I've already got an AR carbine.  If this new rifle ends up as a true scout rifle (lightweight, 308 caliber bolt gun) she might prefer to use the AR (semi-auto, 223 caliber).

It started as an inexpensive Spanish FR-8 and it has evolved into a scout rifle.  I need your thoughts on this.  

Should I get a Mauser receiver and a 308 barrel (Spanish FR-8, Swedish Mauser or other Mauser battle rifle)?

Should I use my Remington action with a lightweight 308 barrel?

These options don't qualify as a scout because the caliber is too small, but here they are:

Should I get a Ruger mini-14 and get it upgraded  to improve reliability and accuracy?

Should I get a Vulcan, FAB-10 or build an 80% AR receiver?

Anyone know why did Cooper recommend against a semi-auto and go for the bolt action?

Should I just get another AR with a 10 round, Vulcan lower?  They would share ammo, ergonomics, manual of arms, they are accurate, light weight, lots of accessories available and the recoil is greatly reduced.

What do you guys think???
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Back to the top.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

These options don't qualify as a scout because the caliber is too small, but here they are:

Should I get a Ruger mini-14 and get it upgraded  to improve reliability and accuracy?

Should I get a Vulcan, FAB-10 or build an 80% AR receiver?

Anyone know why did Cooper recommend against a semi-auto and go for the bolt action?

Should I just get another AR with a 10 round, Vulcan lower?  They would share ammo, ergonomics, manual of arms, they are accurate, light weight, lots of accessories available and the recoil is greatly reduced.

What do you guys think???

NO!!!

i would NOT get anything vulcan/hesse

since you are in CA, i really dont know your state laws, so i dont think that you can get a FAL or PTR-91....

a nice Remington 700P/LTR or one of FN's chrome-lined SPRs would be good for a nice scout riffe imo
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Cooper's idea on a scout rifle was a all around do anything rifle not a "combat" rifle, he chose 308 because he doesn't like the 223 for a manstopper and wanted something that could be used for big game hunting. And no semi autos because of the length and weight restrictons he set.

of course you can do what ever you want.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The scout rifle idea is for a do everything good type rifle, and it's not meant to do anything great.  In most ways it a compromise, actually it's a compromise all the way if you look hard enough.  I'm not bad mouthing the idea, I'm a sucker for carbine type rifles anyway, and I do agree with Cooper with with it's usefulness.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I built mine from a new Yugo M48 reciever. Used a Williams military step .308 barrel cut to 16 inches with a Shrewd muzzel break installed. Switched the trigger out for a Bold with a Remington style safety, set at 3 pounds. Bolt shroud was changed out for a Brownells' commercial type to eliminate the factory safety.  Mounted a Leupold Rem 742 one piece base (because I already had it) on the barrel and used a Leupold EER scope (same one that comes with the Styer Scout package). The stock is a Richards Micro-fit straight line thumbhole, black on black laminate with Rosewood tip and caps, and the action bedded, barrel free floated. Installed sling studs and a very sturdy leather sling. All the metal was blued with a matt finish.

Off the bench at 100 yards, it'll shoot 1/2 moa if I do my part with Fed. Gold Match, much better that that ugly as hell Jef Copper thing a friend of mine has.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
white32golf,     you have any pics of you rifle?  it sounds pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#7]
The "Scout Rifle" concept hasn't really caught on. Everyone I know who's tried it goes back to a conventional optics set-up before long.

Play with someone else's before you put a lot of effort and money into this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top