Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 7:15:08 AM EDT
A friend of mine is going to a hunter education class this week. He told the instructor he bought a new (last year's model, not the SPS) Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. The intructor said "oh be very careful with that rifle, several of them have fired as the safety was being clicked off" ... now I know poeple like this, they must always have some sort of negative something or other to say about everything. it's becuase they have low self esteem and must be someone's hero all the time I guess, I dont know.

Now, just to be 100% certain, I must ask ........ anyone heard this?  I figure, if this were true, Remington would have recalled every last one of them by now. Plus, the ADL is identical to all other 700's that have never experienced this problem.

I promised I would ask so everyone else could call BS besides just me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#1]
never happened with my ADL, and I've never heard of that happening.  I don't even see how thats even possible the way its designed....unless their finger was on the trigger.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
never happened with my ADL, and I've never heard of that happening.  I don't even see how thats even possible the way its designed....unless their finger was on the trigger.

Yes, I agree ... I also forgot to mention. I own 3 ADL's youth guns (243, 308 and 7mm-08) and two other 700's (LTR in 223 and a BDL in 7mag).

All of mine have functioned flawlessly for years.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
you can make an ADL do that if you monkey with the trigger.
i picked up an ADL that had it's trigger lightened to the point if you closed the bolt hard it would fire.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quite some time ago (decades) I seem to recall a problem with the safeties on very early 700s but more than likely this is what he heard and equated to the 700 ADL:

except from Remington.com:

Remington Arms Company, Inc. is voluntarily recalling a limited number of Model 710 bolt-action rifles as a result of its discovery, during routine test firing, that some Model 710 rifles manufactured between July and October 2002 may have been assembled with an improperly made "Safety Detent Spring." Although unlikely, there is a possibility that the manual safety arm mechanism in such a rifle could fail to fully return to the "safe" or "on" position.

If you own a Model 710 rifle please enter your serial number below to determine if your firearm needs to be inspected or repaired as part of the recall.

IIRC the old problem was address promptly and none of the 700s I own have ever exhibited this malady.

Mike

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#5]
A few years ago, Remington did have a problem with some model older 700's (BDL and ADL's)  discharging when the safety was released. As I remember correctly, it occurred when the trigger was pulled with the safety on and then the rifle would fire when the safety was moved into the off postion. I believe they corrected the problem by retrofitting the bolts on the affected rifles.

Here is a link to a good article about the problem:

www.detnews.com/2003/specialreport/0312/16/a13-7201.htm

There is also another link on the Remington site, but it does not mention the issue with the rifle discharging:

www.remington.com/Safety_Modification_Program/remington_safety.asp

I have a buddy of mine that actually had this happen with his older 700. Lucky for him, no one got injured!  If your friend bought a new rifle, it should be OK, but as with any firearm......remind him about muzzle control and proper gun handling.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]
mic and mr_wilson,

very good info .... between those two problems. I could see where this guy could make his assumptions. he may have thought the "ADL" was the "710".. and equated that detent spring problem with the problem of many decades ago. he is a very old fella ....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Was there some kind of issue with the J-lock on those rifles?  I don't know why that pops into my head and I could be completely wrong.  Can somebody elaborate on my half-thought?  MJD
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]
The new triggers remington is putting in their 700s are a real PITA to work with I might add...  My brother just picked up a new rem 700 ADL in 270 and I have adjusted a great many Remington triggers over the years...  From the factory I would not be shocked to have seen a trigger scale say that trigger was set to about 8-pounds...

I have never had to pull a trigger that hard to gt the gun to fire...

I wasn't prepared to adjust the trigger on the spot but I did...  I believe I got the trigger down in the 3 to 3.5-pound range and I couldn't go any lighter as the spring lost sear engagement below that ...  The spring was just WAY TOO STIFF to do much better...  We got the over travel adjusted best we could and proceded to sight in his new baby...

With cheap 150-gr Remington green boxes the gun shot an honest 1-inch group at 100-yards within the first 12-rounds out of the gun...  I told my brother to buy a set of snap caps and work on dry firing with th esnap caps a few hundred times and we would work on doing a final trigger adjustment when I had the proper tools and my trigger gauge.  Just the same, these Remington 700 ADLs have some pretty good barrels sometimes and my brother managed to get a winner as I am anxious to see what it will do with some good ammo!

Anybody that needs advise on adjusting the 700 trigger might find my page here helpful...

quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]
In  1984 Reminton changed the safety on the 700 to where the action could be cycled with the safety on. Remington lost a law suit which involved the death of a boy shot by his mother while unloading the rifle after coming home from deer hunting. I believe this was in Montana. The ADL had a blind magazine, to empty the magazine all cartridges had to feed through the action with the safety off. This incident could have happened with any rifle which used a blind magazine and a 2 position safety which locked the bolt closed when on. I think this is where this comes from. The gun can fire when jared if the trigger is improperly adjusted as can most others.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Was there some kind of issue with the J-lock on those rifles?  I don't know why that pops into my head and I could be completely wrong.  Can somebody elaborate on my half-thought?  MJD

No, the affected rifles were "Pre-J Lock"...... The only problems I ever heard with the "J locks" was that folks kept losing the keys to them!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, my friend went back to his class last night armed with more information. he asked the instructor "so tell me more about this Remington ADL safety problem" .... the instructor says "hell, Ive had mine do it!!" .. after further questioning, it turns out the instructor has a 20 to 30 year old Remington 700 that malfunctioned in this way one time. My friend says "you know they have a recall that will fix that" .... intructor: "well it hasn't happened again in 20 years" ... my friend politely told him that he was being horribly unsafe using a rifle known to have a safety problem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, my friend went back to his class last night armed with more information. he asked the instructor "so tell me more about this Remington ADL safety problem" .... the instructor says "hell, Ive had mine do it!!" .. after further questioning, it turns out the instructor has a 20 to 30 year old Remington 700 that malfunctioned in this way one time. My friend says "you know they have a recall that will fix that" .... intructor: "well it hasn't happened again in 20 years" ... my friend politely told him that he was being horribly unsafe using a rifle known to have a safety problem.

i love it.  all Remington 700 ADL rifles suck because i have a 20 year old rifle that has a single malfunction when i first got it.

i would chalk that up to butter fingers on the part of the operator with a new gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top