Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 12:46:29 PM EDT
I have a chance to pick up a used Rossi lever action in 44 mag.  It is a used rifle, but appears in very good condition.  There are no visible defects to the metal or wood.  It has a dark stain on the wood that gives it an aged appearance.  I have no idea how old the rifle is, but the barrel is bright and clean and the bluing is good.  Action is tight.

They are asking $299 for it. I have never priced a Rossi.  Is this a good deal?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid $400 for a 24 inch octagon barrelled 92 in 45LC a year ago and thought I got a good deal for Commiefornia.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

They are asking $299 for it. I have never priced a Rossi.  Is this a good deal?

About $50-100 too high for a Rossi, IMO. Price a Marlin in similiar shape & you'll get a much better rifle, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My problem is most of the used Marlins I priced at our last gun show were in the mid to high $400 range for the 44 and 357 mags, and even $350 for 30-30's.  More than I really wanted to pay.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 16 inch model 92 stainless steel carbine in 454 casull and 45 LC and it is a joy to shoot.  It goes to about 35degrees when you cook off a hot casull cartrige and stays right on with a tame LC.  It has a nice feel to it and although my son said he thought it was a Red Ryder BB gun when I brought it home he has since changed his mind after shooting a 320grain Casull.  I think they have done well in the respect that I bought that carbine new for a great price and they threw in a free bowie knife.  What a deal.  I don't think you will be disappointed with it considering the price.  

The Army owns the night
God bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 454 Puma also. Fun gun, surprisingly accurate and natural pointing. I really don't care for the safety and the lever is too small for my hands, but it's still a decent gun in my book.

Not having kept up with prices on them, I can't tell you if the price is good or not. Have you checked the boards (EE, GunsAmerica, GunBroker, etc) to see what the going price is?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw several on Gunsamerica for 350-4.  I think I am going to lay this one away.  Maybe I can have it paid for by Deer season.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My problem is most of the used Marlins I priced at our last gun show were in the mid to high $400 range for the 44 and 357 mags, and even $350 for 30-30's.  More than I really wanted to pay.

Have you tried Gun List newspaper????
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have never heard of that one....Is it like Shotgun News?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The $299 seems a bit high. Several friends have the rossi in .357 and they are pretty good shooters.
I spent the bucks a few years back and got the marlin cowboy in 44 mag. The cowboy is the model with the heavy octagon barrel and fancy wood. It has the ballard rifleing which is set up to work best with cast bullets . Never bothered to shoot jacketed,cast shoots great. This rifle might be a bit heavy for hunting use,I am a range type of guy. I put a Lyman tang sight (peep) on it,peep sights are the way to go on a lever gun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have never heard of that one....Is it like Shotgun News?

They make Shotgun News look like the the Weekly Reader, IMO. Gun List is chock full of gun ads, rather than dealer ads. I bought my S&W Model 52 thru a Gun List ad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top