Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 4:44:17 PM EDT
My aunt recently past away and left me a couple of guns. They are both Western Field's which i think are a cheap brand. One is a bolt action .22 Does anyone know any info about any WEstern Field .22's? I want to put a scope on it but dont know what scope would actually fit on it. The other one is a lever action Western Field M72 .30-30. I was wanting to put a scope on that also but dont know what to look for when getting the scope (how it attaches to the gun). I also wanted to know are .30-30's used for hunting? Thanks for helping me out as I dont know much about guns and these guns alltogether.. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that the "Western Field" line was made as a "House brand" by Mossberg for Montgomery Wards. Check out this link for more info:

www.faqfarm.com/Q/FAQ/416

This link may help you out too:

www.mossbergcollectors.org/
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Western Field was one of the house brand names for Monkey Wards.All of the big dept stores, hardware stores etc that sold guns would have them made with their name on them.You M72 30-30 is a Mossberg 472PRA and if its in decent cond. shot be a good gun. If you can find a model # on the 22 I'll see if I can find out who made it and what model it would be.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeh the M-72 is in pretty good condition considering its probably pretty old. I checked the .22 and on the barrell all it says is Western Field then below it 14M 497B 22 S-L-LR
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
My book list your 22 as a mossberg M42 . For those of you (like me ) that go to the gun shows and are on a budget house brand guns are a source of some good bargins. The quality is the same some times the house brands had a lesser quality finish but on a work gun who cares. Usually these guns can be had for dirt cheap, mainly because most people don't know that the rifle that says sears on it might be a quality brand gun. As an example a JC Higgins (sears) model model52 was made by Sako.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok thanks for the info. Now what do I need to look for when getting a scope for these?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking in the Gun Parts Corp catalog (Numrich Arms) catalog shows a Weaver mount base for the 30-30 and one for model 42 but there were a varity of model 42 mossbergs so ?? Check online and see if weaver has a web site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top