Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 7:51:05 AM EDT
A guy at work asked me to look at his Ruger Mini 30 for him.  

Whenever the trigger assembly is out of the stock, it works fine.  

Once the assembly is back into the stock, the trigger will not release the hammer.  It is basically locked up, and pulling the trigger does nothing.  It feels to me like the safety is not disengaging.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You can always send it back to Ruger and get them to fix it if it is too difficult.

Are you putting the safety on and cocking the bolt when you reassemble it?  It won't go back together correctly if you don't do that.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
A guy at work asked me to look at his Ruger Mini 30 for him.  

Whenever the trigger assembly is out of the stock, it works fine.  

Once the assembly is back into the stock, the trigger will not release the hammer.  It is basically locked up, and pulling the trigger does nothing.  It feels to me like the safety is not disengaging.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response, Dennis.

Shortly after posting the question, I figured it out.  The trigger assembly housing was not seating itself up into the stock far enough once the trigger guard was locked back into place.  This caused the front of the safety to come into contact with the housing just in front of the trigger guard.  A few taps with a rubber handled screw driver seated the housing to the proper depth, allowing the safety to clear as it travels forward.

And to think that this guy said that he had already taken it to "gunsmith" without success.    Wish they were all this simple to diagnose.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You hear a LOT of the trigger groups falling out on the ground when the rifle is fired.  Most of that is related to IMPROPER assembly.

It just won't go back together right if the trigger group is not cocked and on safe.

It's stuff like this that produced the warning message (stamped on the rifle) to read the manual.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Thanks for the response, Dennis.

Shortly after posting the question, I figured it out.  The trigger assembly housing was not seating itself up into the stock far enough once the trigger guard was locked back into place.  This caused the front of the safety to come into contact with the housing just in front of the trigger guard.  A few taps with a rubber handled screw driver seated the housing to the proper depth, allowing the safety to clear as it travels forward.

And to think that this guy said that he had already taken it to "gunsmith" without success.    Wish they were all this simple to diagnose.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Cocked and Safe was the first thing I made sure of prior to disassembly.  No idea if the owner is aware of this though.  I will certainly convey this info to him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Go read the Ruger group.  Trigger groups falling out left and right.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Cocked and Safe was the first thing I made sure of prior to disassembly.  No idea if the owner is aware of this though.  I will certainly convey this info to him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top