Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 3:11:38 AM EDT
My dad gave me his rifle a couple years ago.  It's a K98 he brought back from WW-II and had sporterized in the 1950's by putting a very nice Monte Carlo stock on it, muzzle brake, reblued, bolt jewelled and some engraving work on the magazine floor plate.  He never actually hunted with it, and it was more of a trophy than anything, despite the sporterized look.  He had it drilled and Weaver mounts installed for a scope, the bolt handle adjusted to acommidate the scope etc. Well after 50 years, the old scope has had age catch up to it.  It was probably a mid grade scope to begin with, simple cross hairs. Over time it has become "fuzzy" to look through.   I have no idea if it was ever adjusted or zero-ed.  

I would like to replace the scope so. Can anyone recommend a decent scope that isn't super expensive but will be good for hunting.  I would prefer something in a blued finished over a matte finish, so it matches the rifle blue. Probably in the $100-200 range.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Leupold Rifleman Series Scopes are around $200 depending on the power range you want. Lifetime Guarantee.
www.riflescopes.com/departments/99/rifle_scopes/leupold_riflescopes/leupold_rifleman_riflescopes.htm

Unfortunately, I think they are only matte finish.

If Gloss finish is a must I would probably go with Burris
www.riflescopes.com/departments/203/rifle_scopes/burris_rifle_scopes/burris_fullfield_ii_rifle_scopes.htm
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Simmons 44mag. scope is good for the money and in your price range.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Simmons 44mag. scope is good for the money and in your price range.

Cripes, a low end Burris or a Nikon would be a much better choice than this suggestion.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Check www.swfa.com for scope pricing, they sell about every brand known to man, it seems.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the input.  What about Weaver scopes? That is what is currently on the rifle, very similar to the Classic K4/6 series.

ETA: After a little more homework, it is a K4 series scope.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps you should consider a previously owned scope, one that is correct for the period of the rifle.  Perhaps you can get the existing scope rebuilt.   You might be happier retaining what he gave you rather than replacing it.

Blued, glossy scopes are unique to steel bodied scopes which aren't made anymore.  You can get gloss finish but it will be black anodized aluminum, a truly black finish.  It will not look like a blued steel scope.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Perhaps you should consider a previously owned scope, one that is correct for the period of the rifle.  Perhaps you can get the existing scope rebuilt.   You might be happier retaining what he gave you rather than replacing it.

Blued, glossy scopes are unique to steel bodied scopes which aren't made anymore.  You can get gloss finish but it will be black anodized aluminum, a truly black finish.  It will not look like a blued steel scope.

I have thought about having it refurbished.  I intend to keep the original scope, I just was thinking about replacing it so I could try hunting with the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#8]
The Weaver Grand Slam is a great scope.  They run about $250.  The K and V series are also pretty good.  Good brightness and clarity, with just a bit of distortion in my experience.  Weavers are a good value, and all the ones I have seen have been made in Japan (not China or Phillipines like many others).

The Bushnell 3200 is a nice, reasonably priced scope.  They can be had for under $200.  That is probably the best scope you can get in your price range.  It compares well to scopes that cost two to three times as much.

-green
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thank you for the input.  What about Weaver scopes? That is what is currently on the rifle, very similar to the Classic K4/6 series.

ETA: After a little more homework, it is a K4 series scope.

Weaver scopes aren't cheap these days, not that they ever were.  

Hit the swfa.com web site & do some shopping & comparing. A matte finish should blend in a bit better than the polished blue or SS finishes, IMO.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Leupold.  I really like mine, Leupold CQ/T.  You can't go wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top