Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 6:32:17 AM EDT
When my grandfather died he willed all of his hunting shotguns and rifles to my father.  When my father died he willed all of his guns (and my grandfather) to me.  We were all avid hunters and have a nice collection of guns.  Nothing very expensive but the guns have a very substantial sentimental value to them.  Well the guns were kept at my mothers house (in the basement... you see were I am going with this) since I was not living in the state at the time.  Well fast forward a few years to the present and I moved back to the state and was cleaning out the basement when I came across the collection.  All most all of the guns have rust on them.  On the barrel, around the trigger etc.  I was to heart broken to take the guns apart to look at the internal parts and barrels.  I was almost to tears.  How can I fix these guns?  I will be taking pictures and posting them so the collective can get a better idea as to the damage.  If my memory servers me right most of the shotguns are original Brownings and are Belgium made.  I have two very old pump action rifles. (not sure of the manufacture) and a handful of youth shotguns and rifles.  What should I do first were should I beging?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how bad the rust is but most of the time if theyre not rusted internally you can use steel wool to remove surface rust.  Worst case scenario you can have them professionally redone by a gun smith.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... original Brownings and are Belgium made.  ...

That is all I can say.  Good luck to you, hope you get 'em cleaned up.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
A young man came into the Pawn shop as I was picking up a rifle,he had what looked to be an Old A5 humpback!!!  He said it was his grandathers(whom he had never met)and the pawn broker said he had taken in a lot of old Rem 11's  and they didn't sell too well!!!

He said it would only be worth a 100 bucks!!!  It had surface rust on it so bad you couldn't even see that it was a Sportsman!!!  You couldn't  even see the ducks engraved on one side and the pheasents flying on the other side!!!

I asked the pawn broker if he didn't want it could I buy it?

He fronted me the 100 bucks to buy it!!!

My next door neighbor is an artist and uses a real(super fine sand paper24X36 for his pastel drawings!!

I took this baby apart and sanded it from top to bottom with this super fine paper(till all the rust and finnish were shinny bare metal clean)!!

I the used True blue degreaser,and then True Blue cold blueing on it!!

I repeated the process of aplying the blueing,wiping clean with wet rag,and then reaplying the blueing till it would accept no more blue color!!!

Then applied liberal amounts of gun oil,let it set,and when done the shotty(seventy years of old steel)returned itself into the original Patina (just like it had never been touched)!

I showed it to the Pawn broker and he was totaly amazed!!

You could clearly see all the engravings as new!!!

You can probably find this pastel art paper at Hobby Lobby!!!

Don't give up on these(original Browning)A5's!!

As mine are original Rem A5's 1930 and 1935!!

You want to sell them,I' m your huckleberry!!!!

Bob

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top