Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 8:10:36 AM EDT
I was wondering if some one could explain the difference between these two and the pros/cons of them?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it, it is the distance traveled by the piston itself. Short stroke is obviously the better system as the cycle time will be a bit quicker. I'm not sure about a long stroke being less felt recoil?

Not too many have used a long stoke system, IIRC?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally,
Short stroke piston is where the piston is not attached to the bolt carrier a la FAL, SKS.
Pros - piston and bolt/carrier return at different times in the cycle  - spread return to battery impingement forces out
Cons - piston has its own spring which is exposed to/closer to the heat source, weakens with excessive heat and fails sooner.  Modern materials have overcome this and is typically not an issue with semi autos.  Less mass to assist in case extraction.

Long stroke is where the piston is attached to the bolt carrier a la AK and  its ubiquitous variants.
Pros - more reciprocating mass assists in case extraction, typically lower rate of fire - more controllable.
Cons - more return to battery impingement forces.

In both you have a significant reciprocating mass not in the same plane as the barrel which will affect accuracy.  Unlike the AR with only the gas key out of plane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top