Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 11:16:48 AM EDT
Hey all, I have recently stumbled accross the Kel-Tec rifles thanks to some forum members and was looking for more information on them.  I know they are not as good as AR's but for some Califonians this Kel-Tec rifle might be a good thing.  Anyways, can you guys tell me what you know about this weapon, how it shoots, performs, holds up, etc.....thanks for any and all help!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine.  Check out this review.  It's why I bought mine.

Click
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Great gun.   Love mine too!

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
would you guys recommend it for a SHTF rifle for somebody that lives in CA and is limited to what rifles they can purchase???  

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have over a thousand rounds on mine without any hicups.  Wouldn't use it as a club, though!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
would you guys recommend it for a SHTF rifle for somebody that lives in CA and is limited to what rifles they can purchase???  

I don't know California law, but I thought that you couldn't have a threaded barrel (assault weapon?)  I'm not sure though.  There might be an issue with magazine capacity, since it uses AR mags.  I just have no idea.  You might pose this question in the CA hometown forums.  My SHTF rifle will always be an AR, because I know it and trust it cold.  I haven't spent time in the mud/trenches/work with the Kel-Tec, but an M-16/M4/AR has been with me since the day I graduated college.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
In PRK we cannot have threaded handgun barrels; we are also limited to 10 round mags, unless one had hi-caps prior to ban.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an early full sized SU16. It's a decent rifle. The bipod is flimsy, and the rifle is not a good club. But it hits the target.

The chamber is a little tight, I had some trouble with South African surplus 5.56, but it was only one round that failed to extract. Ripped the rim off the case. All AR mags work perfectly. Easy to maintain. Not too picky so far.

I much prefer the AR or the M1A but the SU16 will do in a pinch.  The shorter carbine looks interesting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh and btw, we ALL had our mags prior to the ban.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#9]
here is the link to the CA legal version.....

http://kel-tec.com/su-16ca_rifle.htm

it is supposidly upgraded and has many new features that the early model SU's didnt have.  The only thing is it cannot be fired from the folded position (why CA allows it).
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:07:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Man that rifle is fugly.  I need to shootone and see how they handle.

Max
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:48:06 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're in the free territories, dont buy it. Get an AR instead. We in the PRK unfortunately dont have a choice and the SU is the best alternative for  us right now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top