Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 7:29:51 AM EDT
Is the Browning BAR semi-auto commercial model the same basic action as the original BAR, or something completely different?

regardless, is the current Browning BAR semi-auto commercial action as reliable and robust as say a Garand or FAL?

Does any make 10 or 20 round mags for the current commercial semi-auto  BAR?

Thanks for any replies.

_DR
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The commercial Browning BAR has nothing in common with the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle. The comm model is semi-auto only, the M1918 is full auto only. The comm BAR is a good reliable and accurate gun, but, in my opinion having owned and shot both, extensively, the comm model is not in the same class as the M1918.

The Garand and FAL are main battle rifles, and as such, are very robust, durable and reliable. The comm BAR is not even close. I do not know of any source for 20 round mags for the comm BAR.

I believe Ohio Ordnance is making a semi-auto only clone of the M1918 and it will take 20 round M1918 mags. Hope this helps. Charles.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The civilian BAR uses a multi lug bolt that locks into the barrel. (kinda-sorta like the AR15) It uses the White type gas system (similar to the M14). It is a strong design as evidenced by it being offered in 7mm Mag-----300WinMag-----and 338WinMag.

It is available in steel or alloy receivers.

The mag is retained by the base plate. There is no "normal" mag catch.

A company in AZ was (is ?) mfg'ing a long range rifle using the BAR action, a heavy BBL, a one piece syn stock, detachable box mag, in 300WinMag for the military...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

the M1918 is full auto only.

IIRC, the 1918 could also fire semi with the selector switch??????
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The civilian BAR uses a multi lug bolt that locks into the barrel. (kinda-sorta like the AR15) It uses the White type gas system (similar to the M14). It is a strong design as evidenced by it being offered in 7mm Mag-----300WinMag-----and 338WinMag.

It is available in steel or alloy receivers.

The mag is retained by the base plate. There is no "normal" mag catch.

A company in AZ was (is ?) mfg'ing a long range rifle using the BAR action, a heavy BBL, a one piece syn stock, detachable box mag, in 300WinMag for the military...

So why would this not be considered as strong or stronger than the original design? sounds like it was improved.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So why would this not be considered as strong or stronger than the original design? sounds like it was improved.

The original BAR was designed from the get-go as a automatic rifle for use in combat.

The civilian BAR was designed as a hunting rifle. Big difference. Having a strong action doesn't mean a firearm will withstand the riggers of combat and/or heavy usage.

Firearms (semi-auto) designed for civilian usage (not based on a mil design) are usually out of their element when used in a combat like setting.

The parts are usually tiny and complex and the guns are not designed for rapid field stripping. For instance the first model civilian BAR required the stock to be removed to be able to remove the bolt for cleaning. The recoil spring looks like it came from a M1 Carbine. The design and fit of the action rods/gas system require frequent tear down for cleaning/lube (depending on usage). The rifle will not tolerate dirt, sand, fouling that a battle-rifle would  even notice.

I can put 1000K rounds through a couple of battle-rifles at one sitting like the FAL, Galil, or M14 and not give it a second thought. The typical civilian BAR will never see 1000K down it's bore in one or two lifetimes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Bob Cole - I am (was) an MOS 2100 USMC armorer for 12 of my 22 years. Worked on a bunch of BAR's. Sorry, but I have never seen one, or heard of one, with a selector switch for semi or full auto. The cyclic rate was low enough that 2 or 3 round bursts are easy to shoot with a M1918. Charles CWO-3 USMC (ret).
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
It's bad the Ohio Ordnance models are so expensive $2,700 and up.

I was hoping the civilian BAR was similar and could be modded to be like the original.

My Dad humped a BAR in the early 50s, and I though it might be neat to get one we could shoot at the range. I guess it will have to be a Garand. He carried one of those too, just not as much.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The semi auto BAR from OOW has something like a year or two waiting list, doesnt it?

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought the later versions of the 1918 have two rates of fire.  Something like 400 and 700 I think.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the M1918 is full auto only.

IIRC, the 1918 could also fire semi with the selector switch??????

No, there was a fast, 650rpm and slow,350 rpm setting.  Gunners had to manipulate the trigger for single shots.  The 1918 never had a semi-auto setting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Was select fire but as above no semi setting. What I found was:

"On a 1918A2 the selector has 3 positions: SAFE, 450 RPM & 650 RPM"
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bob Cole - I am (was) an MOS 2100 USMC armorer for 12 of my 22 years. Worked on a bunch of BAR's. Sorry, but I have never seen one, or heard of one, with a selector switch for semi or full auto. The cyclic rate was low enough that 2 or 3 round bursts are easy to shoot with a M1918. Charles CWO-3 USMC (ret).

Well, I been wrong before!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Was select fire but as above no semi setting. What I found was:

"On a 1918A2 the selector has 3 positions: SAFE, 450 RPM & 650 RPM Hell Yes! & FUCK YES!

Fixed it for ya!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Bob Cole - I also have been wrong more times than I would care to count or remember. Hope I did not offend you. Charles.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
BEfore the model that came out before WW2, I thought I heard that there was a semi-auto/full-auto modle?!?!

The OOW BAR 1918a3 is only Semi-auto and can not be converted to Full-auto.  Everything is mil speck, except the trigger group, which is a modified M-1 Carbine trigger group.  They shoot about an MOA of 1 inch.  About 150 will be coming out over this winter.  No new orders will be taken until sometime in 2007.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hope I did not offend you. Charles.

Shit, ya have to try harder than that!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Neat gif. Note how bolt locks into hump.

world.guns.ru/machine/mg36-e.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top