Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 4:53:44 AM EDT
I have the opportunity to pick up CETME model C sporter & was wondering if it's a worth while investment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine is accurate and dependable.

Just be careful where your left hand is before pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a Century Arms gun.  Paid $299 at the funshow.  I have not had any problems with it.

By the way, are the $1.97 mags still available anywhere?  Linky please.......

Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for the link for the $1.97 mags ....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
 This should be good.

Investment?  No.  As many are going to tell you most CETME's have severe QC issues.  Some people luck out and get a somewhat reliable shooter, others have some that that have headspace issues among other things. Honestly I could never get myself to buy one, though some people have had luck with theirs.  It is a roll of the dice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If it works it is a good buy. I got my Cetme new and still ended up having to weld a bead on the receiver to hold up the grip frame. After that it has been ultra reliable. If you can I would shoot it before you buy. Then if you get it go and buy about 30 HK mags for it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine works well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
G3 mags, steel or alloy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine works well.  It's a bullet hose with Port, SA & Aussy It spits spent cases 20 feet to the right.  HK aluminum mags work just fine.  The trigger was tuned up a bit and it is a fine back up SHTF weapon.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
H&K mags work w/ no alterations?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought one a few months ago. I inspected it first and played with it before committing. Bolt, rear sight,cocking handle,etc. So far 1500+ rds later, zero problems and since I put the scope on it I get 1.5-2.5 moa depending on me and the ammo. Best $400 I have spent.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I bought over a 100 hk mags for $1.97 each, flawless feeding.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I bought one a few months ago. I inspected it first and played with it before committing. Bolt, rear sight,cocking handle,etc. So far 1500+ rds later, zero problems and since I put the scope on it I get 1.5-2.5 moa depending on me and the ammo. Best $400 I have spent.

No kidding?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought over a 100 hk mags for $1.97 each, flawless feeding.

CTD has steel mags and the aluminum...does it matter which?  Which ones the ..H&K  G3?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding?

Yep, no shit. It runs like a raped ape. Last weekend I dumped 100 rds of south african thru her as fast as I could. Handguards got soft, thats about it. Not one jam.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Bought mine at Knob Creek for $369 and picked up 10 mags for $19.97 plus shipping. Money well spent in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I would suggest that unless you know what you are doing, to stay away from the Century guns.

Someone who has prior experience with the G3 class could probably make a Century into a decent gun, but if you have never fired one or worked with one before, or don't want to tinker with one, your money would be better spent elsewhere. I have a PTR-91 which was absolutely flawless for $700. The 2$ mags are a great bonus too. Wish I could find quality AR mags for 2 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#17]
My CETME shoots fine when the chamber is kept clean.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Which H&K mags will fit?  The G3 or the M91?  they look the same to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I had one, it was fun to shoot but I just couldn't get used to the front sight. The only problem I had was a crack in the weld at the front of the receiver.  After fixing that I really enjoyed it.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would suggest that unless you know what you are doing, to stay away from the Century guns.

+1

If this gun is a CAI refinish,  look it over real close:

Front sight cant, bolt gap, damaged crown or muzzle threads, ect.

www.cetmerifles.com
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#21]
100 rounds?  
Here in Washington that's what we warm up with.

Quoted:
Yep, no shit. It runs like a raped ape. Last weekend I dumped 100 rds of south african thru her as fast as I could. Handguards got soft, thats about it. Not one jam.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I like mine, at first it didn't work but turned out to be the mag. now it works great.

Seen a couple that had the wide fore grip on it, they feel good and hold better under a lot of shooting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:27:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

www.cetmerifles.com

Thanks for the link.  What is a CAI refinish?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:06:10 AM EDT
[#24]
     I love mine. Shoots great , 2.5" groups at 100 yards over open sights. I'm sure I could do better with a little trigger work and a scope.

I have fired over 2000 rounds of every kind of ammo including the dreaded Indian OFV and have had ZERO stoppages.

I bought 40 H&K G3 new aluminum mags for $1.97.

Not an investment, but the best $350.00 bucks I've ever spent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:57:07 AM EDT
[#25]
If you have excellent gunsmithing talent and need a cheap rifle........what am I saying

They Suck

GPK...out
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

www.cetmerifles.com

Thanks for the link.  What is a CAI refinish?

Century Arms arsenal refinish;
a "refinished" weapon made from surplus parts on a new reciever.
pig in a poke... some are good, some need to be sent back for rework.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#27]
If you have the opportunity to shoot it before you buy it do so.........
I bought one of the Century G3 clones last year and had nothing but issues with it.........HATED the fact that I bought......On the flip side, a co-worker has a Century CETME, and has had ZERO problems with it. It can be a crap shoot, as someone said.
I can add that if you are left-handed, these guns aren't very user friendly.....but are fun if you have one that works right!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a righty but no I didn't have the chance to shoot first.  It was a take it now or forget situation.  So I took it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

www.robertrtg.com/g3magazines.html

$1.90 each in quantiity.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#30]
You need to look it over carefully.  I have shot the heck out of my CETME.  I do not own many safe queens…my weapons go to the range for the whole day with 500 or 1000 rounds.    

Check for some info HERE  

Some times the mag catch is off…will not seat fully..fixable, and it really takes 200-300 rounds to wear the action in..then shoots very well.  Do not use “soft brass” domestic ammo without clean flutes (my friend is waiting on a broken-shell extractor) because it will tear off the back of the shell.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

price went up, $2.97

Cheaper than dirt

www.cheaperthandirt.com
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#32]
The CETME I owned worked perfectly.  I had no issues whatsoever with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Mine took way more than what I paid for it to make it "right".    New bolt(read bolt gap problem), canted front sight, parts, parts, parts......

That said it is very, very reliable, and is fairly accurate.
I just finished my Aluma-Hyde II refinish.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Even if you get a reliable one you still have to deal with the ass-backward safety.

Mine has a broken sear & when I contacted Century they told me they're not offering rifles or parts anymore. No one else I contacted has US made hammers, triggers, or sears, so now I'm SOL with a useless rifle.

Good luck to the rest of you but I'm done with Century & CETME's.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Even if you get a reliable one you still have to deal with the ass-backward safety.

Mine has a broken sear & when I contacted Century they told me they're not offering rifles or parts anymore. No one else I contacted has US made hammers, triggers, or sears, so now I'm SOL with a useless rifle.

What about a new fire control box from ROBERTRTG.COM?

Mine had a bent ejector which caused the bolt to jam.  It took alot of swearing to figure it out but the guys at cetmerifles.com got me straightened out quick.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine had a bent ejector which caused the bolt to jam.  It took alot of swearing to figure it out but the guys at cetmerifles.com got me straightened out quick.

cetmerifles.com
gunboards cetme and FR8 page.
DR.zero.org ----- member here who has all the manuals on CD and for downlaod on his website! best investment ever!

ask for parts there, there  is a guy from spain who sells cetme parts and most there sell  US made parts from time to time. arniaz

robert  ,, great guy to deal with!

i have had my cetme for over  3 1/2 years now. I replaced the BH and LP becuase i wanted to, not cuz i had to.
well 3000+ rnds later. only issues i have are mag related every now and then. mine will runwith both G3 and Cetme mags!

as said above learn the rifle system,  the century guns do have issues  but if you take the time to  LEARN the rifle and learn how to trouble shoot it,,it will turn out to be a great shooter!

as for the above broken  sear,,which one is broken,,,,, NOt all the parts in the firecontrol group are US made onlt 2-3 of them!
Also as said above a complete G3/Hk91 fire control group can be dropped in  and the cetme one taken out,, 2-3 pins and 5 minutes..rifle back to working..

spare parts/cleaning kit
parts
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Mine would not run very well when I bought it a year and a half ago. It was gritty inside even after
cleaning. Finally after a couple hundred rounds the gun smoothed out and every thing is fine
except the bolt is still hard to open compared to my HK91.

Now the gun runs 100%. It uses aluminun HK mags ok and has .008 headspacing.

Howver, I do know they are a crap shoot- I know others who have not had as good a luck.
Still it was a good cheap 308 shooter for $360.00 total.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I just got back from the range today where I saw too guys with new cetme's they had bought at a recent gun show. I fired and closely inspected one, the other I saw from only a distance. I know the one I fired was CAI and its fit and finish looked pretty good but the action was a little rough. Both guns fired fine with no malfunctions at all. Probably only 100 or so rounds were fired in total. I have to say, I never considered a cetme before, but I liked what I saw.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#39]
My CETME has never failed to cycle. I did find rust on the firing pin spring the first time I broke it down for cleaning. And the sights are misaligned. It shoots to the left with the windage (front sight) adjusted all the way to the left. One of these days I'm going to have the front sight base adjusted or just have the rear sight chopped off and replaced with a windage-adjustable rear sight of some sort. It seems to be a fairly accurate rifle, though the windage issue distracted me from trying to shoot tight groups. The trigger is somewhat heavy, but nothing out of the ordinary.

They're a good value when one considers the costs of other G3-ish rifle clones on the market. But one should be prepared to encounter a quality control issue here and there. It may be something trivial to fix like my canted sights or something more serious like a failure to cycle. If I was still in the market for a CETME, I think I'd seek one that is slightly used in the EE forums or elsewhere. This way you'll get one that has already been through a few test firing sessions.

Galland
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Someone who has prior experience with the G3 class could probably make a Century into a decent gun, but if you have never fired one or worked with one before, or don't want to tinker with one, your money would be better spent elsewhere. I have a PTR-91 which was absolutely flawless for $700. The 2$ mags are a great bonus too. Wish I could find quality AR mags for 2 bucks.

I couldn't agree more.

That said, after fixing the cant of my triple frame, replacing the brake with a Phantom hider, getting a Springfield trigger job, and installing a solid stock, my Cementme is my favorite rifle. It is one of the early cast models with no bolt grinding and a .013 gap. It groups just under 2" with surplus. 3500 rounds and I've had no function problems.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I've got a Bill Springfield trigger in mine too.  I love it, and it bumps better than ANYthing!

That said, I also have two buddies with slightly newer synthetic stocked models, and they both suck.  One thing, both of those rifles have almost no recoil, while my wood stocked model has a bit of kick to it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Not US made parts. Need US parts to keep legal. US made triggers and sears are REQUIRED for legality, but are now UNAVAILABLE.

I'm going to have to sell it as a parts gun for a loss.

Lesson learned, and I'm trying to pass wisdom on.

So listen kiddies - you break an internal, you're SCREWED.

Buy something better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top