Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 2:33:17 AM EDT
Ive got a nearly useless Universal M1 carbine sitting in a cabinet collecting dust.

Ive got most of the reliability issues resolved, but it just doesnt have the visual appeal that my other rifles have.  It needs zip. it needs pizazz..

Yeah I could throw one of the folding M2 stocks on it, but why bother?  I want something different with style..

Then one night Cornelius came to me in a dream. Now I know what I must do..

I must have the classic. the original.  the wasnt-cheesy-until-it-became-law thumbhole stock.

Anyone know where I can find an original (or reproduction) "Planet of the Apes" M1 carbine stock?

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
That stock was some thing the now defunct Stembridge rentals came up with if I remember correctly..and I have never seen for sale(and Ive owned and liked the little M1 carbine for over 35 years) any stock vaguely close to the planet of the apes prop guns. Another problem is that the early universals were more or less G.I. parts on a universal receiver.....but by the time they went to twin recoil springs and a cast zinc trigger group..they no longer fit in stocks made for the G.I guns either. So other than giving the carbine a snazzy digital Dura Coat camo paint job or the like, there isnt much you can do with it cosmeticly. One might could put one of those upper handguard
scope rails on it that they sell now and put what ever dot scope you like...that might change its appeal.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
First off,I must say that Cornelious coming to you in a dream is rather
strange.
If it were me,I would have to consider slowing down on the Rum and Coke.

Anyway,I have an odd idea for you.

Why not make it a unique project ?
You could research it to get enough still photos of these weapons
to come up with a basic blueprint.

Pick up a good blank at a hardwhare store ,and start carving and sanding.

It might take a few tries to get it right.

It would definately make a good conversation piece to hang on the wall.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually Cornelius was one of my rather sedate dreams..  I should tell you about the one with Dr Zaius in a dress...

I suppose I could try to make my own, but pics are few.  I actually spent about half an hour before making that post looking for pics and the one I linked to was about the best I could find.

I didnt know there was a difference between newer and older Universals, but when I bought mine I had to replace the stock which was cracked.  A Korean surplus stock worked just fine so I guess I must have an early one.

Guess this one will require more time and effort than I had planned.. Thanks for the input yall..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top