Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 4:49:35 PM EDT
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/LTVN68/newsmaller2.jpg

Copy and paste link please, I don't know how to make it live.

Serial Number: SP 229XXX.  First model Sporter?

"Upper receiver: markings, "C," "M," added
Lower receiver: markings "SER.SP" replaces
"SER"'and a new company name......"

"In the early 1980's Colt
made some "COLTGUARD" finished AR's in the 200,000
serial number range. Coltguard is an electroless nickel finish."

Is this that finish? It has been in a safe for 20 years and has less than 50 rounds thru it. Purchased early 80's.......one owner.  Any idea of value? .  No fence/slab sided gun. 1/7 C MP 20" barrel, round handguards.

My sincere thanks for the knowledge of the experts on this board!!!

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]

You have a Sporter II that is worth around $1,000-$1,100 in pristine condition.  The Coltguard electroless nickel finish was found on SP1s in the 202XXX range.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Raptor 22. Is there a definitive article somewhere on the various serial numbers and models?  I found a couple of articles, but they were not very complete.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting, your Sporter II came with the A2 rear sight & upper, mine has the old fashioned rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Interesting, your Sporter II came with the A2 rear sight & upper, mine has the old fashioned rear sight.

The first run or so of Sporter ll's used the SP1 upper receivers in addition to the lower receivers. Production of A2 uppers was tied up filling military contracts. Essetially you have an SP1 with A2 furniture. LTVN68's is a later production Sporter ll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top