Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 9:40:32 PM EDT
I looked at one of these tonight at our local Dick's Sporting goods. Price was $329.  Anyone know anything about these?  Looked on the Remington website and could not find them.

Do they have the plastic trigger group like the other Express 870's?

Would it make a good SHTF shotgun?  

With everything going on in NO, I took a look at my firearms and I only have 1 good shotgun, and it is more the racy hunting type shotgun. Need something to get down and dirty with.

Would I be better off with a Mossberg 500 or something else?

Please help, not all that familiar with all the intricacies of shotgun purchasing.

Thanks Ken....  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a shotty expert, but from what I've gathered around here, you can't go wrong with a remington. I think the remington/mossberg debate is kind of like the glock/1911debate, either is a great gun, more of a pick your poison. Sounds like a good price.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy it. You'll like it. I did.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I looked at one of these tonight at our local Dick's Sporting goods. Price was $329.  Anyone know anything about these?  Looked on the Remington website and could not find them.

Yes, the same as an Express.....
Well......yeah!
With everything going on in NO, I took a look at my firearms and I only have 1 good shotgun, and it is more the racy hunting type shotgun. Need something to get down and dirty with.

I've owned both......thr Remmy has more accessories available.....

Please help, not all that familiar with all the intricacies of shotgun purchasing.

Thanks Ken....  

That is a great price......you figure $275 for an Express, $100 for the tactical furniture.....
jj
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
WHAT!!  You havn't left to go get it yet.  Get it, they rock!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
As promised. Pics. I purchased this Wingmaster cheap, and had my Gunsmith Parkerized it for $75. My advice would be to spend a few bucks and get it done right.....

Before...

After...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I am going to pick it up on payday. Thanks for all the replys.  Is there anything internal that you would change to make it more reliable?  

I know I don't even have it in my hand yet and already talking about reliability, but I have read in other threads that there is a plastic piece that you should replace?

Follower maybe?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
On the Remington 870, there's nothing that really "needs" to be replaced.

If it would make you feel better to be doing something, you can buy a Choate or Wilson magazine follower, just make SURE they fit and function properly.

There have been cases of after-market followers being over-sized and causing failures to feed.

Other than that, the 870 is the tank of the pump gun world.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
You can't go wrong with the 870, definately a heavy duty shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I purchased one at the last gun show in central virginia.  I have mixed feeling about the weapon. Its fine, but i made the mistake of assuming it had an 18 inch barrel. It is actually 20 inch.  I'd rather have a shorter barrel for HD.-being my ONLY reason for owning a shotgun.

I dont care about the triggerguard being plastic.  It has the built in lock which can come in handy on a home defense weapon should younglings be present.

On the box it states it holds 8+1, but it actually holds 7+1 with 2 3/4 shells.  Maybe mine shipped out with an incorrect follower?

Better and cheaper then the Marine Magnum.  After awhile the nickel finish WILL flake off the weapon.  Some people complain about the green "Hulkster", but when the green wears it is black underneath.  I think its a teflon finish.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#12]
110, I appreciate the info.  I was having the same mixed feelings about buying this one.  I think I  am going to put off the shotgun at this time and take a look at some others.  Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks Ken....  [/quote

Go over to the shotgun forum. there's alot of info on 870's at the top of the page. My advice is to replace the follower with a Wilson/Scattergun version. I've actually seen with my own eyes the factory one split and lock up the whole gun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Im getting an 870 this weekend. Found a store that has a bunch of Police model trade ins for $200.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#15]
You will be happy with the 870.  I just picked up the express police model ($279.00)with 7 shot extension.  Very smooth action and accuate with slugs.  Tactical sling is on order.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#17]
"In a world of compromise...some don't." Are you saying HK should have thought of that when they bought Fabarm?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I ran across a store today that also had the police trade ins.  About 5 different models running between 2 and 3 hundred.  I guess I will have the put the shotgun on hold for a while, because I ended up leaving that store with a Glock 30.  Good price....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#19]
If I were you I would just look around at any gunshop / pawn shop and find a used wingmaster or express for $175 to $250 and get an extension tube for it.

Remington & Mossberg have made millions of shotguns, there is no point in buying a new one. The US has perfected the pump shotgun just by sheer production numbers!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If I were you I would just look around at any gunshop / pawn shop and find a used wingmaster or express for $175 to $250 and get an extension tube for it.

Remington & Mossberg have made millions of shotguns, there is no point in buying a new one. The US has perfected the pump shotgun just by sheer production numbers!

Our local police sold all there 870p's for 150.00 to 200.00 range. Most of these rode in patrol car and fired maybe twice a year.
They have metal trigger gaurd and the heavy barrel. They have no crimps so they will except mag extension.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top