Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 5:12:28 PM EDT
Anybody know how the latest crop of cmp garands looks?  I'm thinking of ordering one  TIA
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Its luck of the draw.   You should get a good rifle if you get a service grade or better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Total luck of the draw,  I have seen rack grades that look clean as hell, and have gotten HRA service grades that the outside finish/wood looked like shit.

If you going for a shooter, then a import rack grade,
Pull the wood and replace it ($79.),
and send the steel off to Warbird to be reparkerized ($100).
You end up with a good looking rifle, and should still have some life left in the barrel (crossing you fingers that the barrel is not frosted, or at the end of the test gauges). But hey, I have seen barrel swollow test gauges and still group fairy well.

If you looking for a better barrel/shooter, either order a service grade, or just have the rack grade rebarreled during the rehab.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to add, I live in Denver if you need help on the project, Like NM'g it, or beding the stock.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Dano, I may take you up on the offer sometime.   I think you helped me figure out a prob. i had with a CAR-AR online, which has turned out to a good shooter.    No chance to order the garand till after Labor day, CMP office is closed till then.
    If you ever get out to Grand Jct drop me a line and we'll spend some trigger time.
                           Shoot safe
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be happy getting any M1 from the CMP.  I need to save up a little to try to get another one or two before they're all gone.  Even if they're beat to heck and look like ass, they're still M1s, and there will never be any more of them.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up my first CMP garand this April. Went with a HRA Service grade(Greek Return) for $450 prior to the price hike. While I didn't get an all matching rifle I don't feel bad about my luck
The rifle has the black refinish at about 90% and a cartouched stock in nice shape that looks like its from a Springfield. Trigger group and Op rod are SA.  Great shooter, locks up tight.  

YMMV

Blitz
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks--I'll be ordering as soon as they reopen  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Just looking at their website.  The only service grades available are the Greek issue.  Don't know if I want to take a chance on the rack grade, though.  Anyone with experience on the Greek issue service grades?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
As soon as my paperwork (email or whatever) comes back from the Garand Collectors Association, I"m going to be ordering a Springfield Armory Field Grade USGI (only USGI offered for under $800).

I'm more interested in the history of it than the functionality/condition.  I can't afford (probably wouldn't even if I could) the Correct or Collectors grade.

I'll let everyone know when I get mine (hopefully with pictures).

Steve L.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top