Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 8:02:33 PM EDT
Hello;

I just bought a Marlin 1894C with the 18.5" barrel .375 Magnum.

I shot my new Marlin for the first time on Saturday the 20th, and brought along a Chrony chronograph to test ammunition. I tried Sellier & Bellot, Mag-Tech and American Eagle cartridges, all JSP 158 grain.

All ammunition was fired more than 10 times. The barrel was cleaned between each brand. One of each, the highest & lowest velocities were discarded to normalize the results. Here they are:

Sellier & Bellot
Avg Velocity 1434.69 - Extreme Spread 46 - Std Deviation 15.98

Mag-Tech
Avg Velocity 1689.25 - Extreme Spread 41 - Std Deviation 12.16

American Eagle
Avg Velocity 1853.50 - Extreme Spread 21 - Std Deviation 7.36

The Sellier & Bellot had the accuracy advantage at 25 yards, but opened up to a larger group than the American Eagle after that.

The Federal American Eagle is a really great ammunition, considering it sells for nearly the same price as the other two, but out performs them both at 75 yards for velocity & accuracy.

If anyone would like to recommend a better ammunition, in a JSP, 125 to 158 grain, I would probably test it. I’m not interested in any ammo heavier than 158 grain for reasons of trajectory.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top