Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 10:52:35 AM EDT
My buddy is trying to tell me that in .30-06, the A-bolt has a shorter action. Is this true? I assumed they would be about the same and he swears that he's not referring to the 60 degree throw but how far the bolt comes back toward the shooter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Strictly from an engineering perspective, I don't see how this could be different?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The only way I could think is that the Remy long action is designed for all long calibers including magnums which are longer than '06 and the A-bolt doesn't. Remy has a short and long action and maybe the A-bolt has a short, medium, and long? Or he could just be talkin' out his ass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Going to a gunshop with both of those rifles in that caliber for a hands-on comparison would be the best way to confirm the theory.

I've got Remingtons in SA, LA, and ULTRA now, and I've committed myself to learning how to 'WORK IT!' hard, and ignore the distance of the bolt travel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only way I could think is that the Remy long action is designed for all long calibers including magnums which are longer than '06 and the A-bolt doesn't. Remy has a short and long action and maybe the A-bolt has a short, medium, and long? Or he could just be talkin' out his ass.

700 actions come in short, long, and magnum action lengths - I think your friend is blowing smoke...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe Brownings have 3 lug bolts, and the bolt lugs are smaller and shorter than on a 2 lug design.  So it may have a shorter action, of about 1/4" max.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The BDL and A-Bolt have the same barrel length (22"), the A-Bolt has 1/4" more LOP, and the A-Bolt's overall length is 1/4" greater.  I think it can be safely concluded from this that their actions are the same length.

The Browning is quite a bit lighter.

Winchesters tend to be a bit longer, as their long action is really a .375 H&H length action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top