Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 8:09:24 AM EDT
I am currently researching to buy a rifle in 30-06 mainly for hunting medium/big game (Whitetails) and have narrowed down to Tikka T3 Lite SS, Tikka T3 Big Boar, Savage Weather Warriors 116FCSAK and 116 FCSS, and the Rem. 700 SPS DM.  I realize this is a very broad question, but what experiences have you had with any of the mentioned rifles, and would you recommend any over others?
 I hunt in partially heavy wooded and partially open fields, mostly on the ground.  I'm leaning towards the Tikka Big Boar since it is somewhat shorter than the others, a feature nice for operating in thick cover, but am still pondering.  So whaddya think?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Savage Weather Warriors 116FCSAK
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Tikka first, then Savage. Remington only if there's no other brands available.

In several gun tests, Savage rifles have outshot rifles costing up to twice as much. Tikka is a little smoother than a Savage but costs a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my Tikka T3 Lite SS.  If you can shoot it well given it is such a light rifle, it is golden for hunting.  Considering you haul the rifle around while hunting and only shoot it rarely, a 6.5 lb rifle is a treat.  Some people don't like the "modern" looks, but those people also probably don't like Savage (some people think they're ugly) - Personally, I care more about utility and both rifles have it in spades.  I have shot the Savages with the new accutrigger - very nice, but I still love my Tikka (I want another one).
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Remington 700, of course
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]
". Remington only if there's no other brands available."

The rantings of someone who obviously knows nothing about rifles - after all, the USMC and US Army both see the Remington 700 as being THE choice in a precision rifle - and 700s and their variants dominate the benchrest circuit... Savage has come a LONG ways in building a good shooting rifle, and *might* provide a better value because they're a bit less expensive, but they're still not the 700's equal... Tikka makes a fine rifle, no doubt, but the 700 has won more benchrest comps than all other makes combined - gotta be something to that...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The rantings of someone who obviously knows nothing about rifles - after all, the USMC and US Army both see the Remington 700 as being THE choice in a precision rifle - and 700s and their variants dominate the benchrest circuit... Savage has come a LONG ways in building a good shooting rifle, and *might* provide a better value because they're a bit less expensive, but they're still not the 700's equal... Tikka makes a fine rifle, no doubt, but the 700 has won more benchrest comps than all other makes combined - gotta be something to that...

- georgestrings

The USMC and USA only use 700 actions that have been completely rebuilt by their own machine shops.  Aftermarket barrels and triggers are then added. The finished rifle has as much in common with a factory-built rifle as a NASCAR car has with the family sedan.

I'm not familiar with Tikka. But I have 4 Savages and 3 700s. The Savages are more accurate out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I too understand the history and time proven uses of the Rem 700, but I'm also taking into consideration the utility of the rifle I choose; the Rem is a few inches longer than the others.  this is a good quality in accuracy, but carrying one through the brush as I do may be an issue.  I just don't know yet at this point whether or not this is enough of an issue to exclude it as a choice.  
 Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The rantings of someone who obviously knows nothing about rifles - after all, the USMC and US Army both see the Remington 700 as being THE choice in a precision rifle - and 700s and their variants dominate the benchrest circuit...

First of all, none of your precious benchrest shooters use a factory Remington barrel, I bet. As for the sniper rifles, if you think they're right off the rack then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. As for "rantings", shall I tell you where you can place yours????????????
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
savage seems to have the best bang for the buck. tikas are nice Sako not bad but i love the nicer weatherbys
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Tikka T3 is great, Savage is generally more accurate than any other off the reck rifle in my experience but the feel of the action and the cosmetics leave alot to be desired,  Remington 700 is great but can be lacking in accuracy  at times to a level unexceptable for the cost.  My vote would be Tikka T3
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Tikkas are SWEET...I've only owned one, a .308 that had a glassy smooth bolt action, a great trigger, and was very lightweight.  Tikka also guarantees 1 MOA accuracy.  IMHO the best bang for your buck.

Edited to add...It was a T3 Lite, blued w/ synthetic stock.  I have or have had (and shot quite a bit)a Remington 700 HBVS in .308, a Winchester Model 70 carbine in .308, , a Remington Model 600 in .308, a Ruger M77 HB varmint in .308 and a savage Model 110 synthetic in .308.  The Tikka kicks booty compared to the others.  I had to sell the Tikka due to financial problems and have regretted selling it ever since.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have always been a big fan of Remington hunting rifles.  Savage makes a very good gun, and accuracy is also pretty good.  However, I have never liked the look of the Savage rifle, particularly as it pertains to hunting rigs.  Of course, appearances are subjective.  I don't have any experience with Tikka rifles, but have fondled a few over the years, and they seem to be solid weapons.

If I were to recommend a pure hunting gun, I would go with the Remington Mountain Rifle.  I have one in .280, and I'm in the process of talking a friend out of his in .270 Win.  They are very light guns, and mine has no trouble averaging less than 1.5" at 100 yards.  Plus, the stocks are very streamlined.  Now, if you are bent on the synthetic, then the SPS (or an older ADL) will work fine.  Personally, I have never liked the detachable mags on a 700, but that's just me.  

and 700s and their variants dominate the benchrest circuit

Depends on which benchrest circuit you are talking about.  100 and 200 yard aggregrate matches seem to be dominated with pure custom jobs these days, ranging from Stolle Pandas to the other exotics.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
"The USMC and USA only use 700 actions that have been completely rebuilt by their own machine shops. Aftermarket barrels and triggers are then added. The finished rifle has as much in common with a factory-built rifle as a NASCAR car has with the family sedan."

While I'll readily admit you're correct, I'll also note that they're still using a 700 action, and not an action from Tikka or Savage - any idea why that is???

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer the Remington 700.
No pissing contest contributions.
That's just my preference...and recommendation.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
"First of all, none of your precious benchrest shooters use a factory Remington barrel, I bet. As for the sniper rifles, if you think they're right off the rack then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn."

Yeah, you're right about that - however, why don't you enlighten us as to why it is none of them are using actions from Tikka or Savage??? Or, why is it all the top barrel manufacturers specialize in barrels for the 700??? I suppose you know more than Hart, Lilja, etc...???

"As for "rantings", shall I tell you where you can place yours????????????"

Of course you can - however, when you make a statement like:

"Remington only if there's no other brands available."

...then, that shows you don't know much about bolt action rifles - sorry, Bob - perhaps you should stick to giving out advice on subjects that you know something about...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:11:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yeah, you're right about that - however, why don't you enlighten us as to why it is none of them are using actions from Tikka or Savage??? Or, why is it all the top barrel manufacturers specialize in barrels for the 700??? I suppose you know more than Hart, Lilja, etc...???

- georgestrings

They don't specialize in M700 per se, they specialize in making extremely accurate barrels.   Some of them like Pac-Nor and Shilen offer short chambered barrels for the M700.   Lilja only offers barrel blanks, if you want one of his barrels in for a M700, it will require a gunsmith to machine and chamber it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:22:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Savage, no question about it.

Great trigger, easy change barrels, cheap and accurate.

Like there's even any competition???
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wide availibility would be my guess. You keep asking about "custom rifles" & the gentleman has expressed no such desire for "custom". Hence the rating for Remington on the bottom for those he listed. As for knowing more than xxxxx, I would say I know the least of anyone about custom rifles. Stock rifles, which is what he's asking about, are a different story.

...then, that shows you don't know much about bolt action rifles
I know a great deal about where what brand ranks where in the quality of things. I've sold them for around 20 or so years. Just because you got your ox gored (Remington) is no reason to wail & thrash about.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"Wide availibility would be my guess. You keep asking about "custom rifles" & the gentleman has expressed no such desire for "custom". Hence the rating for Remington on the bottom for those he listed. As for knowing more than xxxxx, I would say I know the least of anyone about custom rifles. Stock rifles, which is what he's asking about, are a different story."

Couldn't be because the 700 offers a superior action, now could it??? BTW, I didn't "keep asking about custom rifles", I merely pointed out how the 700 and it's variants are the overwhelming choice of professionals, and that also includes many law enforcement agencies....

"I know a great deal about where what brand ranks where in the quality of things. I've sold them for around 20 or so years. Just because you got your ox gored (Remington) is no reason to wail & thrash about."

Who's wailing and thrashing??? Certainly not me.... So, you're now trying to say that Savage puts out a better quality rifle than Remington??? Pretty funny stuff there, Bob - whatsamatter, Remington doesn't offer you the profit margin that Savage does??? Again, stick to stuff you know about - if you're planning on giving advice....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, this thread certainly went off track.   But, given a few of the participants, I am not surprised.  Let's see if we can get back on track.

Or, why is it all the top barrel manufacturers specialize in barrels for the 700??? I suppose you know more than Hart, Lilja, etc...???

Neither of the companies you mentioned make barrels only for 700 actions.  Sure, they offer barrels for the Remington action, but they will also make a barrel for virtually any bolt action rifle you send them.  You can order barrels for Savages, Winchesters, or Tikkas, so I really don't see what your point is.  Also, as stated, Lilja will sell you a blank, not a threaded barrel.

No, it shows he has formed an opinion after years of experience with Remington guns.  Let's try not to throw too much of a hissy fit simply because someone does not agree with you.  

So, you're now trying to say that Savage puts out a better quality rifle than Remington???

All companies suffer from QC problems, and Remington is hardly immune.  Remington's first shipment of Model 7 rifles in .260 went out with incorrect barrel twists, which wouldn't stabilize the 140gr bullets Remington was loading for the cartridge.  They've had problems with triggers more than once, and have even had issues with short chambers on some of the titanium actions.  

Savage makes a very good action, and are one of the most accurate out of the box rifles available.  I would hardly call the Rem 700 action a higher quality action than the Savage, especially considering some of the guns being built by Savage today.  

Of course, its all subjective (the age old Ford vs Chevy argument).

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
- whatsamatter, Remington doesn't offer you the profit margin that Savage does???

I never worked on commission nor did I own the gun shop I worked for so I made the same piddling pay regardless of whether I sold a Weatherby, Browning or Rossi.

You want to have wet dreams over Remington, have at it. Fact is, there's lots of better rifles out there & the Remingtons of today aren't the ones made back in the 1950s.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No, it shows he has formed an opinion after years of experience with Remington guns.  Let's try not to throw too much of a hissy fit simply because someone does not agree with you.  

Savage makes a very good action, and are one of the most accurate out of the box rifles available.  I would hardly call the Rem 700 action a higher quality action than the Savage, especially considering some of the guns being built by Savage today.  

Perfectly said, sir.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Decaf is just as tasty!

OLO Good luck...all listed are fine weapons...I like the Savage.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Get the Tikka.

Sako and Tikka rifles (they're made in the same factory) have the best barrels on any factory sporting rifle, period.

The actions and metalwork are notably superior as well.

Savage would be my next choice.

A factory Remington has about as much in common with a USMC M40A3 as a Springfield GI does with a custom 1911 by Richard Heinie
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#26]
savage
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#27]
For those who gave advise on the topic, thank you very much.  I took all comments into consideration, and have decided upon and ordered the Tikka T3 Big Boar.  Not exactly thrilled about the price ($599), but I still may be able to talk that down a bit once my order is in.  I went to Gander Mountain and looked at what they had, which was very limited as far as what I was specifically looking for, but I did get to handle some Tikka T3s and some variant of the Savage Weather Warriors, tho not what I was looking for.  I was very impressed with the Tikkas, and since I would like a bit shorter barrel, went with the Big Boar.  Thanks again guys, I appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Good luck with the rifle, and don't forget to add some nice glass to it!

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been considering the same question but looking only at SS savage and tikka.  The savage seems to have the best stock trigger, but boy the actions on the tikkas I have handled have been unbelievably smooth.  Let us know how you feel about yours.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:28:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have been considering the same question but looking only at SS savage and tikka.  The savage seems to have the best stock trigger, but boy the actions on the tikkas I have handled have been unbelievably smooth.  Let us know how you feel about yours.

Originally, all I was looking at were SS, but then I found the Big Boar.  Too bad they don't make it in SS with the non-glare powder coat that's on the other Tikkas.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#31]
For a gun straight off the rack the savage is the best value for the money, they shoot as accurately if not more so than anything else on the rack, they have a very nice trigger straight off the rack.  You might want to check out the cz's also.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The rantings of someone who obviously knows nothing about rifles - after all, the USMC and US Army both see the Remington 700 as being THE choice in a precision rifle -

- georgestrings

they also dumped the 1911... for a beretta...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top