Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 5:45:55 PM EDT
Allrighty, I just got my new toy and with it the 50rd drum. I know it says it holds 50 rds but it will easily hold 55rds maybe a few more. So does anyone else have one of these and if so how many rounds have you been able to stuff in there with out any problems?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Give us a range report. Also what is the overall quality of the weapon?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Give us a range report. Also what is the overall quality of the weapon?

I know the condition it is in is EXCELLENT.  As in, it was never fired before he got it.  Or so I heard.  

Woody
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
DO NOT OVER FILL IT.

The drums are designed to hold 50 rounds, NO MORE.

Overfilling it will either cause a jam, or will break the spring.

Like a lot of early large capacity magazine fed weapons, the Thompson can have extras stuffed in, even though it will cause problems.

Also, NEVER, EVER "re-wind" a partially fired drum.
Thompson drums do NOT have clock-type spring systems.
Firing part of a drum and then winding it more will cause the spring to snap.
Wind it to NO MORE than the number of clicks the pan cover specifies, and don't re-wind until the drum is completely empty.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Geesh, I can barely get this piece of crap to work properly with 50 rounds, why should I place even more in it?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I`ve wound my Kahr Arms 50rd drum up to 13-14 clicks and it works perfectly in my WH S/A Thompson.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
And one day you'll do that and hear a "SNAP" sound as the spring breaks.

The old Thompson manuals had warnings about not over winding, or re-winding the drums.

Do so at your own risk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top