Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 11:43:18 AM EDT
Is it really that much difference for a casual shooter who would be happy hitting a paper plate sized target at say 400 yards or so?

Also, if a bipod is attached does this cause more problems for a non free floated barrell?

Also, I am referring do AR-15 rifles.....not super-duper sniper rifles. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
FF does improve accuracy somewhat, but not nearly as much as using good ammunition.  I have a carbine that shoots 1.2 MOA from the bench with regular handguards and good ammo.  It shot 1.0 MOA when I had it free-floated.  With GI-type ammo, it shoots about 2 MOA either way.

IMHO FF is really essential when you are using a sling or bipod, where the point of impact change can be pretty substantial.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be pretty happy with being able to see let alone hit a paper plate size target at 400 yds.  For where the AR excels at ranges under 150 yds you won't see a difference.  However if you are talking about adding a bipod i assume your talking about 400 -600 yds.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd be pretty happy with being able to see let alone hit a paper plate size target at 400 yds.

Not using iron sights of course........it would be with a nice scope.

Heck, I have almost perfect vision and the big paper target 100 yds down range gets blurry pretty quick to me.

I basically want to one day build a rifle for longer range shots. Either a 20" or 24" barrell and bipod and scope. Nothing fancy.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd be pretty happy with being able to see let alone hit a paper plate size target at 400 yds.

Not using iron sights of course........it would be with a nice scope.

Heck, I have almost perfect vision and the big paper target 100 yds down range gets blurry pretty quick to me.

I basically want to one day build a rifle for longer range shots. Either a 20" or 24" barrell and bipod and scope. Nothing fancy.

I built one with a used cryo'd barrel (20 inch) the first time i went out with it i shot a 5 shot group of 0.86 inches...i put it away and haven't shot it since.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#5]
On average, based on my observations watching other shooters and their AR's, there are VERY few shooters who would benefit from the additional Accuracy a freefloated barrel offers. most shooters are weekend plinkers shooting what ever cheap ammo they can buy at the local Gun show. I like and Use the KAC RAS and think it is a excellent rail, Surefire also makes a decent non freefloated rail. just my $.02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top