Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 9:06:51 AM EDT

anybody have one or know anything about them?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they're decent.  I would have bought one a long time ago, except for that damned thumbhole stock crap.  IIRC, they were going for $600, so price isn;t too bad, plus nowadays, you can get teh compliance kits with pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Good rifles.

I see them as an M16, AK, and FNC, all rolled into one.

Parts are a problem, but hey... when was the last time you actually broke  your rifle?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Parts are a problem, but hey... when was the last time you actually broke  your rifle?

+1

They are really well thought-out platforms. The selector on the post-ban version operates funny, but that can be modified. The Daewoo could have been the "next big thing" if the planets had aligned right.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like the Daweoo DR 200. I think its an excellent weapon that nicely combines desierable features from the M16 and the AR180 in an excellent caliber fed by excellent magazines. They look killer with folding stocks and shoot very well, capable of very resepectible accuracy. They are obscure, but for an enthusiast they are excellent weapons. These are weapons which still serve with the ROK armed forces and have performed very well throughout the years. Parts breakage is probably a non-issue and the internet or Korea...maybe your local Daewoo car dealership?
may be excellent sources of parts you aren't going to need or aren't going to break. If your rifle breaks in combat or in a SHTF situation you are going to be shot or lynched before you can replace your extractor or hammer. I would buy one without any hesistaion just because they are unique and they can be had for a reasonable price. Think of these, or most of the current generation indigenous Asian assault rifles, as modern and better AR180's which take STANAG magazines. Excellent guns.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:47:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The DR-200 is the post-ban, t-hole version of the K2, which is the standard issue combat rifle for the ROK Army and Marine Corps.  It's built in the same plant that license produced M16A1's for decades.  

The ROKs decided they wanted a new rifle, that had better reliabiltiy than the M16A1 and a few other nifty features.  It takes standard M16 mags, the M16 bipod, and bayonet, and the flash suppressor is 22mm for grenade launching.  the FS's slots are offset at an angle to compensate for recoil.  The barrel is the same wieght of the M16A1, though shorter at 18".  It is 1/7 twist on the K2 and 1/12 on the post-ban DR-200.  The gas regulator is in the same place as the FAL's.  It allows three shooting positons and an off.  It is chrome plated on the inside for easier maintenance.  The front sight is fixed and is a blade with a protective circle around it, kinda like a G-3's front sight only WAY tougher.  The handgaurds are two piece plastic with heatshileds.  The upper receiver is forged alloy.  There is a slot in the right side, where the cocking handle goes.  The cocking handle is connected directly to the bolt and also functions as the fwd assist.  The rear sight has an A1 windage drum, and a zero adjustment for elevation, and range adjustments as well out to 600 meters.  The gas system is straight AK.  The bolt and carrier is like an M16, only shorter.  There is a return spring the same as an AK.  At the end of the return spring is a latch that holds the upper to the lower at the rear.  At the front there is a pivot pin, like the M16.  The lower is forged alloy.  It takes M16 mags and has a bolt catch (last round hold open) that is more reinforced than the M16.  The ejector is similar to the AK, but replaceable.  At the rear of the lower is a spring loaded buffer.  The pistol grip has a cleaning kit in it, and the folding stock uses the FAL/Galil locking system.  It folds to the right side.  When it's locked open, you can't even tell it's a folder, it's that tight and strong.  

The DR-200 is simply the post-ban version of the K2.  It has no bayo lug, a muzzle device, a T-hole and that's about it.  The T-hole does change the geometry of the lower, so the ACE stock is really the only decent stock for it.  It's a nice stock though an works out quite well.  The selector on the DR is backwards in that it rotates up instead of down like on an AR-15.  The T-hole was in the way, so they changed it from the K2, which is the same as an M16/AR-15.  To change it back, all you need to do is make a channel in the slector shaft.

The rifle takes some AR parts.  The trigger group is interchangable.  There are a couple other odds and ends that interchange as well.  Other parts can be modified from the AR to fit.  Other parts, like an ejector, can be fairly easy to make, and other parts are just not going to be available unless you dig.  If you dig, you'll find them.  Some people make some of the parts on CNC machines.

As for accuracy, it's as good as an AR-15.  As for reliability, it's as good as an AK.  As for cost, it's in between.  As for weight, it's about the same as an A1, not as heavy as an A2, and with the folder, it makes a great gun to keep in a duffle bag.  They shoot very nice.

Frankly if you sat down and thought up the perfect combo of guns that would go into one, you'd pretty much have the Daewoo.

I have a K2 and a DR-200 and they're great guns.  I don't worry about the parts issue.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree, all the crying about no spare parts is some kind of internet urban legend that everybody must always chime in with. It would make sense if the rifles had any kind of rep for breaking, but they don't.

If these rifles had been able to evlove like the M16, I imagine they would have a standard flattop forged as the top of the receiver, A free-float railed handguard would have pretty much rounded it out. Another option might be to have a cutout on the right side to allow ambidextrious charging handle placement.

It seems like the XCR, FN SCAR and AR gas piston uppers are all playing catch-up to the Daewoo. Here's one of mine:

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#7]

As for accuracy, it's as good as an AR-15. As for reliability, it's as good as an AK. As for cost, it's in between. As for weight, it's about the same as an A1, not as heavy as an A2, and with the folder, it makes a great gun to keep in a duffle bag. They shoot very nice.

I have a safe queen DR-200 and a few AR15s.
The theory behind the potential accuracy that an AR15 is capable of is that the barrel features good harmonics as it has no reciprocating mass thrashing about above the barrel. Since both the DR200 and AR15 are chrome lined wouldn't the gas piston operating system of the Daewoo limit the platforms accuract potential to less than that of an AR15? My Dr-200 broke and I have since had it up and running again... but I have never done any accuracy testing. I wont get the opportunity to do any testing untill christmass either. :(
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
What broke?  And where did you get parts?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Broken parts, lost parts, springs flying thru the air while cleaning, there's a million different reasons to need replacement parts, IMO.

Personally, I could never recommend nor buy myself a gun where replacement parts are almost non-existant.  YMMV?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#10]
An EXCELLENT weapon in every sense of the word. A mix of M-16 and FN-LAR technology, designed by the S. Koreans to function better in their super cold climate...and it DOES! Built tough as nails...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a K2.  I have never needed to adjust the gas system.  I had one problem which was light hits on M193 primers.  Turns out all I needed was the excellent advice I received on this site, and the standard M16 hammer spring (a two minute job).

Otherwise, it has been a more reliable platform than my 16s and ARs.  It digests Wolf just fine and, except for the bore/chamber, does not get dirty.  Even the gas piston seems to develop only very slight carbon fouling.  It is built like a tank.  

I wouldn't say that parts non-availability is a non-issue, but it's overrated.  If the gun only gives me the expected 20k rounds+ of barrel life, it will owe me none of the $500 I have in it.  I seriously doubt I'll ever get close to 20k with any of my semis.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I have rifles that have VERY limited access to spare parts.

Stuff does break.  It depends how ingenious you are if stuff gets fixed or you just have a parts rifle.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I agree, all the crying about no spare parts is some kind of internet urban legend that everybody must always chime in with. It would make sense if the rifles had any kind of rep for breaking, but they don't.

If these rifles had been able to evlove like the M16, I imagine they would have a standard flattop forged as the top of the receiver, A free-float railed handguard would have pretty much rounded it out. Another option might be to have a cutout on the right side to allow ambidextrious charging handle placement.

It seems like the XCR, FN SCAR and AR gas piston uppers are all playing catch-up to the Daewoo. Here's one of mine:

img360.imageshack.us/img360/6418/daewoo0km.jpg

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn Ross, that's about one superb write up...!

Too bad these rifles aren't imported and/or built here. They are most excellent!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Broken parts, lost parts, springs flying thru the air while cleaning, there's a million different reasons to need replacement parts, IMO.

Personally, I could never recommend nor buy myself a gun where replacement parts are almost non-existant.  YMMV?

Just because parts are hard to find doesn't mean that you should stray away from a excellent firearm such as the daewoo.  Just look at Valmets.  Parts issue exists there too and plenty of Valmet owners out there are doin just fine.  If you keep an eye out for parts, even when you don't need them, you can stockpile up enough to outlast the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top