Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 2:27:24 PM EDT
This came up in the XCR thread of how it had teething trouble etc when it came out.  I always thought they were great guns just a little pricey.

So whats the truth?  How to they compare to their peers?  They look way cooler than an AR imo
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This came up in the XCR thread of how it had teething trouble etc when it came out.  I always thought they were great guns just a little pricey.

So whats the truth?  How to they compare to their peers?  They look way cooler than an AR imo

The Robarm M96 guru is DesertMoon......he can tell you all about it. However, from my experience though, if you really want a M96, buy a new one and not a used one. Make sure the serial number prefix starts with a "RA". The "HP" prefix series were plagued with "teething" problems (i.e. trigger disconnects prone to breakage, loose trigger pins, tail carrier recalls).

Also, the recon carbine model is more handier than the rifle model. The recon carbine also has the new gas adjustment system as well. Summary: The M96 is a good concept but was poorly executed in the initial production runs. Gun operation is smooth, felt recoil is less than comparable AR15 due to design of M96 and its weight (the receiver of M96 is actually stainless steel with some durable grey/black surface finish). Accuracy is excellent due to its almost match chamber tolerances. Drawback is you must not use WOLF ammo. WOLF's old style lacquered-steel cases used to jam in the chamber very frequently.

The M96's quick-change barrel feature pales in comparsion when compared to my Steyr AUG. The M96's advertised modularity of changing from rifle to carbine to top-fed BREN configuration is nothing to write home about either. With an AR15, you could easily buy different AR uppers or if you have a Steyr AUG, you can buy 24" HBAR, 20", 16" and 14" (NFA) barrels. Robarm has yet to deliver on the "belt-fed" conversion which has been talked about for years now.  One good thing is that their customer service has drastically improved over the years.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one and sold it. Welds were crude finish was fair and I didn't like how it field stripped. There will be no more Robinson Arms in my future.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Way too heavy.  Holding one ended my research on that rifle.  AR15 is better hands down with current options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top