Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 8:56:09 PM EDT
Now let me be the first to say that I am by no means trashing either of these fine companies or their products.

That being said, I have noticed that it seems that with either of them, either you are a 100% fanatic or you just aren't concerned that much about them either way. There are exceptions to the rule, but in general that seems the case.

Especially when either are mentioned on this board. You can't start a thread about either one hardly, without it turning into a pissing match.

So it made me wonder. Who has the more die hard fans? HK nuts? Or Colt die hards?  

Please feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.......

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTL

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
In my experience the Pony Lickers are more numerous and the Teutonic Tupperware freaks are more rabid in their mindless fanboy advocacy.

I have owned both.  I have one only Colt now.  It is a 1917 vintage 1911.  
The only other one I want is a P1840 SAA.

After using their stamped sheetmetal junk for work I was pretty unimpressed.  The MP5 is a bright spot in an overwieght, overpriced field of adequacy.
The HK53 is possibly another exception.

Their current pistols are no better or worse than any other Europlastic.  My token Europlastic pea shooter is a Steyr M9.  It's what a Glock should be but that's a different discussion.  I'm realizing that in some ways Steyr is the Apple of the firearms industry.  Technical excellence is no guarantee of success.

I really don't understand the fascination with the MK23 boat anchor.  I've shot them, with and without suppressor.  They are not the end-all be-all of anything.  They are not used much, if at all, by SOCOM and are in the same category as a Desert Eagle.  They're a mildly interesting toy that is kind of cool in and of itself.
It's a free country.  Collect what you will and enjoy it.  Just don't try to convince me that the purchase of an overpriced hunk of steel and plastic somehow makes you better than me.

After I sold my M16 it was a real blow to realize that my self esteem need not depend on my posessions or lack of.
Maybe it's age or maybe the shiny is wearing off of most of this stuff.

Too bad we can't objectively categorize every ARFCOMer as fanboy or non-fanboy and do some statistical analysis on their age and income.  That there would be some marketing gold.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Now let me be the first to say that I am by no means trashing either of these fine companies or their products.

That being said, I have noticed that it seems that with either of them, either you are a 100% fanatic or you just aren't concerned that much about them either way. There are exceptions to the rule, but in general that seems the case.

Especially when either are mentioned on this board. You can't start a thread about either one hardly, without it turning into a pissing match.

So it made me wonder. Who has the more die hard fans? HK nuts? Or Colt die hards?

Colt fanatics must be truly die-hard since Colt has repeatedly screwed it's civilian consumers over the years. H&K, on the other hand, has done everything in it's powers to sell firearms to civilians considering it is a foreign manufacturer. I understand H&K is pretty exclusive (and priced accordingly) but H&K would sell the US market anything where as Colt does not think we can even be trusted to have a regular AR15.

ETA: My comments do not reflect quality or performance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They both have more money that sense.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Neither.

The FN fanboys are the worst. FN pwnz colt!!! OMG FN is uber cool I want a F2000 because I use it in counter strike!!!111

At least the Colt and HK fanboys can actually buy the firearms they drool over.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
 I sold my preban Colt AR15 to a ban state. Shot great - just like my Stag, CMT, Bushmaster, and Oly Arms .I don't miss it. Am I supposed to? No - its just another AR15. Colt fanatics amuse me more then HK nuts. They get all hyped over an AR15 whose only special detail is a gay looking horse engraved on the lower reciever. Colt makes stuff equal to Bushmaster, RRA, LMT, CMT, Stag etc. Is that supposed to impress me? I guess so.

I wont miss many of the Colts which lack a bayonet lug, contain a DIAS block, larger then normal .17 trigger and hammer pins, or other unusual acts of political correctness from Colt Mfg.  I'm not a big fan of HK  either - but Colt stands out in my mind - who, like Ruger, voluntarily NEUTURED their firearms products being sold on the civilian market.

But if you want a Hartford Horsey - enjoy - I guess you need to justify $400 for a stripped  lower........its your money.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
One in the same.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to be an HK fan, but I've lost a lot of interest in them due to their price.  I just don't have the kind of disposable income needed to enjoy HK products.  I'm hanging on to my USP9c because I think it's an interesting gun, but thats as far as I'll go.

As for Kolt, they can go into bankruptcy and be reorganized by a judge for all I care.  Us Midwesterners really don't care for the kind of elitism that Kolt throws in the faces of American citizens.  Fuq em.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I wear Levi's and Eddie Bauer jeans.  They do the same thing as Versace and Dolce & Gabbana Jeans.  RRA rifles do the same as Colts but don't have that cute little pony.  Don't get me wrong, both HK and Colt have stellar products, but you're paying for the name.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a couple LE6920s and a Sporter Lightweight, I don't lose sleep over non standard size pins or sear block, I'm not the anal type.  Seems like the Colt bashers are the ones that get all fired up over that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I own a couple LE6920s and a Sporter Lightweight, I don't lose sleep over non standard size pins or sear block, I'm not the anal type.  Seems like the Colt bashers are the ones that get all fired up over that stuff.

The non-spec parts become a serious pain in the ass when you end up switching uppers around - and need the right offset conversion pin for the "unique" Colt products. I stock spare parts - Colt practically created a new firearm by changing the size of critical internal parts - if you need a fast repair you best head to your local "Colt Sporter Emporium" for parts.  If I ever had a RDIAS - it wouldnt work in a Colt.

I just don't get why someone would pay twice as much money for a product which is not compatible with all other AR15's on the civilian market. You only buy the label.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I say the HK types are the worst of the bunch.  they have this eliteist snobbery about them that just annoys the hell out of me.  when someone asks "what is a good handgun for under $500" you'll get 5 or 6 people saying, "save up and get a real gun, a USP"  or even worse, the HK M16 magazines, WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ALL ABOUT? its a fucking mag with some "uberkote" finish and a new follower.  oh yeah, they are also made out of steel, which used to be a badge of shame(usa brand anyone?) but now that there is a little hk on it, people go nuts and pay over $50 for a magazine in a non banned world.

dont even get me started on the gas piston upper.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#14]
What's wrong with the upper?  $2300 is a steal man!  Its says "HK" on the it...nothing more needs to be said.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, as a HK Kool Aid drinker I have to defendthe other HK Kool Aid drinkers, and say that Colt Kool Aid drinkers are the worst.

Both are fine arms makers. I own 5 Colts and 12 HKs. I also have 2 DPMS rifles and think they are just as good as a Colt.

What is lame about the Colt fan is that there are SO MANY great AR15 makers out there, and yet Colt still tries to sell their rifles at a premium.

I could see being a Colt fan 10 or 15 years ago when Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA etc.... where still starting out, and they were thought of as "clones" of Colt AR15s. But today a Colt rifle is no better than and other AR15 (not talking about Hesse/Vulcan)

But there is a different story when you look at HK fans. First HK rifles were as cheap as Colt AR15s in the 1980s but because of 1989,1993,1994, and 1997 bans HK rifles are rare in this country and market....not the company set the price.

Another aspect of HK fans is that we are leery when it comes to clones......and with good reason. Springfield and FMP HKs were the first set of "clones" and they were well made, but then came SW Hesse/Vulcan and Century Arms.
These were, and still are very poorly made clones.... and what draws people to own HK weapons is quality. And the first wave of clones lacked quality. And it was well worth paying $1600-2,000 for a HK91 even though a Hesse looked the same for $500.

Now today, with companies like JLD, ORF, Vector, POF, and even SW/Bobcat producing better clones with better quality.....and at the same time an afforadble prices it seems a little odd to buy a HK94 for $4,000.

Also, it is worth noting that there is a lot of dislike of HK from HK fans right now. If you look over at HKPro and read some of the post from those who attend the SHOT SHOW (including me) many of us were dissapointed in HK at the show, at the lack of new products and the general treatment of civilian buyers.
Dispite the treatment that the new owners of HK ( now called HK JS) have for us in America I still feel that their rifles and handguns from the 1980s are some of the highest quality firearms around.

Yeah the HK Kool Aid tastes pretty good.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I am not a fan of either myself. Bushmaster makes IMO the best AR's around for that type of rifle. DPMS Forged rifles are also good. Springfield makes better 1911's than Colt ever could IMO.]I would like to venture into the M1A world one day but prices are just too much. H&K guns are okay but not my cup of tea. I do like the MP5SD though and G3 rifles. The newer G36's look like a SciFi gun. And don't get me started on that POS SCAR series from FN. Those damn things are hidous looking.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
The Glockaholics.... Those guys are whack!
Then again I am a fan of the old stuff, milsurps and such. I believe skills are far more important than the weapon and as such the weapon does not matter that much.

(as long as it is reliable that is)

And Shamus ain't a troll, opininated sure but not a troll.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#19]
They both taste like CLP to me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

and proof positive of it is this thread

If you were given the choice of any 1 pistol for free, what would you choose?   (Page 1)

A fantasy thread and people are wanting a second or third Glock.

A fantasy thread and people are picking some trailer park pistol. Like WTF??

wganz

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and proof positive of it is this thread

If you were given the choice of any 1 pistol for free, what would you choose?   (Page 1)

A fantasy thread and people are wanting a second or third Glock.

A fantasy thread and people are picking some trailer park pistol. Like WTF??

wganz

considering that I already have a CCW pistol, an 1911, a big bore revolver, and two single action army clones(vaqueros), I figured I needed an autopistol that I could hunt with(hence the Glock 20 10mm choice) and have a bunch of fun reloading for.  and since when did police departments start issuing "trailer park pistols"?

and I do love kicking the ever living dog shit out of people who run super expensive custom 1911s and sneer at my "trailer park plastic fantastic" at 3 gun matches.

or maybe its just the fact that I'm a Glock-Fu master
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Then again I am a fan of the old stuff, milsurps and such. I believe skills are far more important than the weapon and as such the weapon does not matter that much.

(as long as it is reliable that is)

And Shamus ain't a troll, opininated sure but not a troll.

Gary, maybe if I had mentioned that a both a 6920 and a MP5 were both going to have a home in my safe eventually I wouldn't have been called a troll so fast.

BTW Gary, when am I going to be able to talk you into one of these?

It may not be actual mil-surp. But it's got a wood stock. Close enough right?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Good looking UZI

I a UZI SMG is on my "most have" list......but I am saving up for a MP5 sear gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Try a PTR 91. Under $ 1K and great quality. Needless to say I drink all 3 flavors (COLT AR15 6721 LEO Marked & HK-91 & Beretta 92SF Compact) and I'm fine with the taste. and am never thirsty :)

Shot a Bushy too and have nothing but respect, very sweet.

No I do not understand the elitist stand by some Colt owners. I simply love my Colt, etc and do not look down on any who prefers another brand. On the other hand, I do not need to defend or explain how I decide to spend the money I earned. So I pretty much go with a live and let live approach. How about those who put down Colt owners give us the same respect as we do you? If you are a jerk who puts down Non Colts, etc. well then you have asked for the abuse seen in this forum. Just don’t paint us all with one brush. HK makes (actually made) a great battle rifle (91 & 93) and there is a great case that it’s the perfect "IF THE S*** HITS THE FAN" rifle. If you don’t believe me then grab one and drop it in a creek and then bury it in sand for a week. After that dig it up and shoot 1000 rounds. I saw this test with my own eyes about 10 years ago and could be nothing but impressed. This is something I would never even consider doing with any of my beloved AR-15s.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't drink either.

I've owned Colt 1911's and AR's and while I've never owned an H&K I have shot my share of them and they never impressed me enough to warrant buying one.

Now, all my 1911's are Kimbers and all my AR's are Bushmaster.

Colt used to be the shit but times have changed, now they are shit.  Over the last three decades they have gone to great lengths to confirm and re-confirm this on the civilian market.  Their last hope of remaining solvent is LEO and Military contracts and from what I have been hearing they are fucking that up too.

H&K well the USP line is a decent quality gun but they are not $200 dollars more accurate or reliable than a Glock.

I'm not sure what has happened since the AWB expired but I once watch some guy pay $3000+ for a pre-ban H&K91.  IMHO it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#26]
While both groups are pretty goofy (based on my years in the biz) at least a large portion of Colt owners actually shoot their firearms.

A goodly amount of HK aficionados tend to rather sell Wolf Tickets about how absolutely fabulous HK's are to anyone who will listen, fondle their firearms with white linen gloves and never, never, ever, never actually shoot them because they don't wanna wear them out/ruin their resale value...

(PS---I own Colt and HK firearms---------they're just another gun to me...)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#27]
The ones that really annoy me are those friggin uppity Enfield snobs!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I vote the glock people!  I've been a long time lurker and I've repeatedly seen glock guys going into the HK pistol forum and making glock comments that were completely OT.  I've never seen a HK or a COLT fanatic telling someone to buy a USPF/6920 in a "Should I buy a Glock 23 or a SIG?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top