Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 5:20:18 PM EDT
I was looking at the Remington PSS for a bolt gun.  The idea is something semi-tactical and good for shooting the occasional F-class NRA long range event.  762x51 is the caliber of choice, I have several lots of M118 and some M118LR available for ammo and reload for it already.  I talked to the Remington rep , the VSF is basically the same gun as the PSS only left-handed so it would work for me.  

Here is the question, I have not owned a Remington product in 15 years.  I had a 700ADL that was a great deer and elk gun and ran close to MOA.  How is the new stuff? Does anyone own one of these rifles and if so have you ran it at ranges beyond 100 yards?  what results did you get??  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a custom 700 in .30-06 with a Krieger 26" bbl, 1:12 twist, McMillan A1 stock - bedded and custom trigger job. I've got a Leupold Mark IV M1 10x scope on it. I can shoot 1.5" - 3" groups at 300 yards prone with a sandbag all day long. It is an outstanding weapon. I also paid through the nose for it since it was custom.

I just picked up a VS in .308 at the local gun store. 26" bbl, 1:12 twist.
The factory stock is nice and the front has a semi-beavertail contour to it. Feels a lot like a PSS, but without the superblack uber-tactical look. I put a Swift variable 4x12 power 50mm scope on it. The gun was $720 and the scope was $260. The gun shop put some OK bases and rings on it for $60, but I ordered a Leupold Weaver rail ($97) and Leupold 1" Weaver rings ($122) because they are on my other rifle and are rock solid.

I will be breaking in the bbl of the new gun tomorrow with Federal Match Sierra HPBT 168gr.

I have always had good luck with the model 700 and anticipate the new Varmint Synthetic to deliver the goods.

Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 30caliber Remington varmint rifle  (VS) and at 100 yards it shoots 1/2" groups or less w/ 175gr federal gold match, a little better with hand loads.  At 200 yards, she stays just under 1" groups.  They are a good shooting rifle, I like em so much, i also have the VLS in 22-250.

The VSF has a fluted barrel and a tan stock now.

The VS and PSS are just the standard 26" remington varmint conture barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top